Taser Arrest **FULL VIDEO**

Good or Bad?

• She deserved every volt.

Votes: 53 89.8%
  • It was excessive.

Votes: 6 10.2%

• Total voters
is this that Boynton Beach Police Department again? There was already a thread with about 30 posts in it discussing it. The full sequence was there.

But yeah, she diserved it.

Yea, that's the one. I knew it was posted here before.

I didn't know if anyone actually had all the videos folded into 1. It makes viewing the entire incident much easier.

Did I miss her taking a swing at the Popo,or was that a fabricated story...video was to small to tell...
That the kind of treatment I get (used to ) ,,now I have a White T and all is good...

Sorry, but I have been in a situation with the popo, adn she didn't get nearly what she deserved!!! I would have zapped her at least one more time for making such a big deal of it all after talking so much smack.

"You can't radar someone when you are driving"

Welcome to the 70's, the newer (from the 80's and 90's could easily tell what speed you are going as well as the operator).

She was trying to BS her way out of a ticket and deserved more than she got.

Would you like to be the cops who pulled her over??, didn't think so.

Originally posted by buickpower
there should have been an option for "she deserved more voltage than she got"

I agree. Maybe an electronics guru can find a way to hook a tazer up to the car battery. :D

I think it was way too excessive. The amount of crap that those cops had to put up with was just ridiculous. They should have hit her sooner, longer, more often, and duct taped her mouth until she learned to stop whining. She didn't get nearly what she deserved.
Did anyone see it on A Current Affair? They said if the police "..went by the book, then they have to re-write the book." What they put her through was absolutely terrible they said. Yeah right! How about the cops that were trying to do their job, and she wouldn't cooperate one bit? Not even after he gave her three warnings. His warnings weren't even "...or else." He told her exactly what was coming if she didn't comply. He should have said"...and if I have to tazer you, I am going to shut off the camera and club you too, just for making me fill out a report to the power company."

Anyone want to know how I really feel??

First, I only made it half way thru the video, but I will say that she totally deserved the first shock, but the second one seemed unneeded-almost like the cop was pissed and wanted her to know it-she was knocked on the ground and didn't seem to be harming the officers. Whining and crying-yes-but I didn't think that the officers were in danger.
Just my opinion

As a side note she would have been tazered way earlier if it was me, but then again thats why I will never put myself in that postion of power.

I'm not sure which side to fall on here.
Yes, she deserved it. Wretched loud-mouth...
Yes, I think it was excessive. For such a minor offense it was a big reaction...
I don't believe she took a swing at the cops, the cop made that up.
The cop made an huge mistake saying that she doesn't need medical attention. Although it was probably true, the cop put himself at huge liability risk by presuming a medical diagnosis.

Excessive use of force? If someone wants to armchair this one and say the use of the taser for such a minor offense was too much then let's hear the alternative?

You're the cop, standing there, she's said NO and not going to follow your directive to step from the car and place her under arrest. She's on the phone refusing your direct and lawful order to put down the phone and get out. What do you do next? Beg and plead with her to follow your orders? Bribe her out of the car? Physically grab her and get into a wrestling match? Use pepper spray and contaminate everyone in the incident including the interior of the car?

Let's hear it..........You tell me.

How can anyone say she didn't swing at the Cop? It happened in the vehicle out of camera sight.

She had a HUGE attitude from the gitgo.

As the Cop said...MellowDramatic.

I'd rather get Tased than Whopped in the Arms and Legs with a Batton.
She got off easy.

I've never seen anyone more deserving!
She almost got what she deserved.
Biaaatchhh!

Jeff

Originally posted by ONE_QUIK_6
...she totally deserved the first shock, but the second one seemed unneeded-almost like the cop was pissed and wanted her to know it-she was knocked on the ground and didn't seem to be harming the officers. Whining and crying-yes-but I didn't think that the officers were in danger.

I half agree with this. I don't think they needed to hit her with the second jolt to get her to comply, BUT if she had listened in the first place, then she would never have gotten even the first jolt, so I say any thing after that first jolt she can't complain about. Hit her again. Keep going until the batteries die.
If they had tried to drag her out of the car, then they could be putting themselves at risk. They could have been hit, scratched, or burned with the cigarette that she refused to put down. They have families to go home to also, why should they have to risk injury when there is a safer alternative for all involved. A little annoying for her maybe, but she is fine now. I saw her crying on A Current Affair. No bruises, no scrapes, and she wasn't slurring her speech either.

TT/A you did put up a poll so you did ask for opinion. Therefore to introduce the title of "arm chair" seems a little unfair.
But you hit upon my very indecisiveness in this issue. Yes, she should have complied with the orders of the officer so she certainly deserved it. My understanding is that you are a peace officer so you would be in a better position to offer a different solution.
On the other hand, it isn't like she robbed a bank, it seems to me (and I acknowledge I may be VERY wrong here) it seems to me that as long as she is providing the officer with the requested information like drivers license and registration that the cop shouldn't have been so pressed that she hang up. Why was the arresting officer so concerned that she was talking to someone on a cell phone? Was that really a threat? I don't mean that sarcastically, I am really asking. If you stop someone for running a stop sign do you perceive them as such a threat that a cell phone is intimidating?

Ooh, can I answer this one? Well, I'm going to give my opinion anyway. He was attempting to arrest her. What kind of a country would this be if you are about to be arrested, and you are allowed to say,"No, I'm on the phone." What is the officer supposed to do, wait until the battery runs out? Come on! Knock 'er to the ground, use how ever many volts/amps/giggawatts it takes.

Originally posted by Vector
TT/A you did put up a poll so you did ask for opinion. Therefore to introduce the title of "arm chair" seems a little unfair.
I put up the poll to ask for opinion and my original post shows that. It was quite neutral.

If someone wants to armchair this one and say the use of the taser for such a minor offense was too much then let's hear the alternative?
What I meant by this is that if someone wants to "armchair" (criticize) their actions then in the interest of fairness should offer up an alternative.

The urgency and importancy of following lawful orders is done for several reasons.

1. The fact it was a minor traffic misdemeanor is meaningless. Police officers don't arrest criminals on THEIR conditions, they're done on the officer's conditions for many reasons. Safety being first and foremost.

2. The one being arrested isn't in charge. The officer is and that's the rule of law.

3. The order and urgency to hang up the phone is vitally important. She had an attitude and didn't like the police from the get-go. We don't know who she's speaking to and we don't know what her intent was by calling somone. My understanding is that's not a pleasant area of Florida and again, officer safety is paramount. The last thing this officer needs is an angry Mark (brother/husband) showing up at this traffic stop. That's all Officer McNevin needs is to deal with TWO assholes. She was clearly giving her location where she was stopped. You could almost say it sounded like she was phoning someone for assistance = NOT GOOD.

When you have someone defiant and confrontational from the beginning you don't need them dictating to you how you'll do your job.

My philosophy along with many other officers is to first ask, then tell, then make someone follow your lawful order. It was done perfectly in this instance.

As far as the 2nd application of the taser goes you'll see she refused to comply with orders to stay on the ground and place her hands behind her back. I found out that she actually pulled one of the taser's probes out of her making the taser non-effective and tried to get up. Officer McNevin applied a 2nd shock called a "drive stun" where you put the taser directly on the subject. You can clearly see this on the video. After the 2nd application she complied and stayed on the ground and didn't resist any further. This video is what we'd call TEXT BOOK.

Whether she assaulted an officer isn't clear on the video. My understanding is that the 2nd officer who went to the passenger side of the car attempted to take the cell phone from her (after being warned 4x to put it down and step out) and she either pulled away and/or pulled away and swatted at the officer.

It's my opinion the taser was the perfect tool for dealing with this subject. She had already pulled away from the 2nd officer when he tried to take the phone away. Had that taser not been available they would've had to physically pull her from the car (hands on), forcibly taken down to the ground and her arms forced behind her back and cuffed. I feel given her attitude she was pushing for that very scenario to happen. It didn't. She was given 2 - 5 second electric shocks that have no lasting affects. As soon as the current is discontinued the discomfort ends immediately.

Force was inevitable here whether it was pepper spray, hands on, strikes or whatever. She wasn't simply going to step from the car without a fight, she set the tone.

I guarantee you we're not taught the Jedi mind trick to make people do things they don't want to do so we don't have to touch'em. :D

Yeah, I guess that is true. I suppose it is when an officer is "easy going" that he gets shot.
I have hit myself with a stun gun and I know that it is painful, but like you say the pain stops immediately.
As a practical matter, I know she got what she deserved; and after reading what you wrote I agree with that conclusion.
But I do understand the opinion that it appears excessive.