Tacoma WA, 69 SS Chevelle may be finished this weekend. Racing anyone?

Redrum

I may finish my 69 Chevelle SS this weekend. I hope to have the car ready for the track early in July on full street tires, not even drag radials! I hope to be in the 12's so it isn't a total slouch as this car was a factory 375 HP "396" with the aluminum heads and solid lifters. I have made major changes to the engine and drivetrain that certainly improves on those stock numbers.

Anyone care to make a few runs side by side at Pacific Raceway or in Bremerton? I always like a good grudge race with a N/A big block up against a Turbo Buick being something to chat about. I would prefer to race in full street trim, mostly a street tire issue. As you know putting full street tires up against slicks is like entering an ass kicking contest with one leg.

The 69 Chevelle SS is a pro-touring car; power steering; power brakes; A/C; 1200 watt stereo system and 18 inch wheels. Email me at mshoover@harbornet.com. Let's not just talk about it - let's do it!

To bad you are so far away or I would race you.My buddy has a 1970 ss with a hopped up 402, 3000 rpm stall convertor,373 gears and dr's and he still won't race me.

All he will pick on is people that he knows are no match for him.Thats one thing I will give you is that at least you are trying to race someone who will give you a run.

All finished but for a couple of bugs that I can deal with later. If the weather is good next weekend I will head out to Bremerton if they are doing a test and tune day Firday night, Saturday or Sunday. Where are all the Seattle area people? Always more fun if you are not going alone. I would rather run against some of you than the Chevelle gang up here until I get familiar with the new ride. I would rather not break anything or look too bad in front of my own crowd! I'm not telling them I have it done yet..... hehehehe

As much as I would like to meet some of your GN gearheads it will be the first time the Chevelle is going to be on the road for anything more than a shakedown cruise and the first time the Chevelle is put to WOT for more than a burnout or a few hundred yard run. I want to stay closer to home than six hours of driving to a race!

Still looking for a local or two to share the day with up here though.

Redrum....I'll line up my GN against your Chevelle. Just let me know what night you want to meet up and go to Pacific....actually I prefer Bremerton, but will go to either track.

Bill

BTW, you might get more responses if you posted in the Pacific Northwest forum.

Oops....I guess I should learn to read everything before I post! I saw mention in his first post of early part of July and didn't realize he is now ready for THIS weekend!

Sorry Redrum....I will be gone this weekend. I would still like to hook up with you some other time.

Bill

Me and Bill would love to line up with a BBC:cool:
Some other weekend we should hookup and will bring the octane but i will turn the boost down ;)

I will keep in touch with you guys. I don't care about the boost or octane........ just leave on the street tires! I will see if I can get a few El Camino/Chevelles to show up at Pacific Raceway if we can work out a day that will work for a few of us. My car if a full street duty pro-touring Chevelle which means I always leave on street tires; specifically Goodyear Eagles at this time. I don't even own a set of slicks or drag radials. Hopefully nothing breaks this weekend and I can work on shif points and launching which will be real tough with a pro-touring suspension. With Koni's and BIG Hotchkis swaybars and lowered 2 inches front and rear, I am limiting any front to rear weight transfer.

I do believe you will like what I have done with the Chevelle!

I love Chevelles and owned a 67 convert ,but sold it 2 years ago :( I like old Chevs but its the motor in these GN,s that hooked me..My street tire are MT streets and full exhaust the car has went 9.97:cool: I drove it 530 miles and went 10.14 and got 17mpg on the way home from Ashcroft Canada,so driving it to PR is a breeze..

After a few Buick V6s blow your doors off, you'll just stick to going to the local Saturday nite cruise to talk cams and carburetors and about how "streetable" your ride is. :p

John DiCarlo,

I have been beat many a time at the track and beat many others too. It is all about the fun we have win or lose! I do note that my N/A SBC Corvette's time on street tires still is just a tad better than the time you post. You would not be looking at my taillights but you would be looking at the back of my head....... :cool:

I like you're attitude about winning and loseing.Let me ask you a question. Did you switch to a solid rear axle from the independant on the vette.If not what have you done to keep the half shafts in it??Everyone I know that runs these cars breaks gears and half shafts all the time unless they switch to a solid rearend.

onefastjackass -

I have a fairly stock rear suspension with only a rear sway bar added.

The problem with breaking rear end parts is usually a problem when running slicks and with stick shift cars. The street tires slip enough to keep things from breaking as easily.

Me and Bill would love to line up with a BBC

Hey! what my 569 tq, 11 sec GN on pump gas and street tires not good enough to come out and play?

Redrum, I would love to see your 'vette. I love the lines of that year...