TA49 Exhaust Housing

GNasty

I'm thinking about upgrading from the stock turbo to a TA49. I know the .63 garrett exhaust housing is supposed to spool faster. Since I already have a PTC 10.5 2800 convertor...would there be any performance gain in going to a bigger exhaust housing, such as a .85?

Assuming I plan on running 22-25 psi on the new turbo...

Not much. You would need to have enough to max out the compressor before it would matter.

Thanks Bison!

You always amaze me with how much you know about these cars. I've learned so much from your threads.

You are a HUGE asset to this board!:D

My combo is in my sig. For the mid-11's at 119 mph runs, I was around 25 psi boost and pretty much had the TA49 maxed out. I've run both the stock Garrett .63 housing and the Precision .85 housing. The Precision .85 housing definitely helped the top end, maybe worth a mph or two in trap speed. I don't think I could have gotten to 119 mph with the Garrett .63 housing. With both my restalled D5 converter (about 2800 stall) and my Mike Ridings converter (similar stall), I have absolutely no problem spooling it up.

If you're going to be spending a lot of time at the higher boost (like 25 psi) and care about the highest mph at the track, might be worth a look. If you're going to be spending most of your time at lower boost (23 psi or lower), you could probably find better things on which to spend your money.

Good Luck,

Mike
Sent from my HTC Droid Incredible using Turbo Buick

i went 11.1 on a ta49 with a .63 garrett ex housing.i tested the pte .85,pte .63,garrett .63 at the track in similar conditions and the 85 had the worst et and mph.the garrett .63 went over 120mph.

garret .82
10.96 121..
9.5" protorque 3000-3200 stall
3" THdownpipe ,
stock headers, manifold ,plenum+ tb, rockers ,pushrods
pte fmic
heads were ported irons
single nozzle alkycontrol
tt 93 street chip #50 inj(pretty much maxed out the fueling of the chip)