TA-49 with a PTE .85?

wheelin

I have a 49 with a .63 PTE housing with Pats 3200-3300 10 inch convertor.Spool up is instant,how would an .85 housing work?

thx mike

It will help to relieve some back pressure, move your power band slightly higher up into the RPM band (400-500rpms) slow the spool up down slightly, and give you maybe 10 extra hp up top. Recommended only if you have maxed out the 49 with your current combo and are trying to eek out just a couple of more tenths.
HTH

Patrick

I have contemplated this mod due to wanting to max out the 49 to see how fast it will go.

The bigger housing is good for 2mph supposidly and with your converter I doubt you would see much change in the spool up.

I agree it may spool a bit slower but with your stall this might be the best setup.

Your combo. might pick up more switching back to a little tighter L/U torque converter? The mph looks a little low for a TA-49.

So you think going to a tighter convertor ,say 3000 would be faster than 3200-3300 with a PTE .85 housing?

mike

Is the engine stock? If so i like the smaller exhaust housing's (Garrett housing), tight converter locked (Stock D5). With the PTE housing you could probally use a 2800 rpm with good results. If the engine is modified, ported heads, camshaft, etc. that has some extra rpm to it then the larger exhaust housing & looser converter may be a tad quicker. With your RJC boost controller spool up should should not be an issue with any converter. It's all about the combination. I prefer to keep things simple. :)

t49/.85 housing

wheelin,the 85 housing will most likely not work! I personally tried both pte 63and the 85 housings this past year at the track. the car lost mph and et with the 85 over the garret.63,threw the pte.63 on the car and she picked up 4.5mph over the garret63 and 6mph over the pte85. the ta49 has pushed my gn to 119.48mph at 3732lbs on pump gas and razor's alky,its a neat little turbo! hope this helps, good luck!

Can one still purchase the PTE .63 housing alone? How much do they run for?

Dannyo

wheelin,the 85 housing will most likely not work! I personally tried both pte 63and the 85 housings this past year at the track. the car lost mph and et with the 85 over the garret.63,threw the pte.63 on the car and she picked up 4.5mph over the garret63 and 6mph over the pte85. the ta49 has pushed my gn to 119.48mph at 3732lbs on pump gas and razor's alky,its a neat little turbo! hope this helps, good luck!

Very impressive picking up 4.5 mph over the Garrett housing. You have me thinking. ;) How is the spool up compared to the Garrett housing? Do you mind sharing your combo. & converter?

Please give some car info...

thx mike

under-pressure,the pte63 does spool slightly slower than the garret63.If you truly know your combonation you can spot it! the pte85 spools significantly slower than both to the point that you may feel like you have a flat spot on the pedal initially before the boost builds.combo=ta49,410 gears,stock motor with mild headwork and 1.65 rockers,3inch exhaust,dynoteck trans with a 10.5 inch 3200 stall protorque lockup,009 injectors cut way back to make some room for denatured alky from alkycontrol.

i went 11.45 at 117.6 (117.99 was my best mph) (PTE44) with the converter locked on a PTE .63. I then went with a .85 housing and consistantly went 117.3+ converter unlocked. I was never able to lock the TC as it stopped locking at WOT around the same time i installed the .85. My best unlocked with the .63 was 115.5 vs 117.7 unlocked for the .85. Although my traps increased i never was able to get better than a 11.56. (slower 60 ft even thought i had a 3000 stall)

jdsfastgn i am not surprised that you lost some et with the 85,i am surprised that you picked up some mph in your unlocked state.after my testing of the three different housings,i wondered if the 85 would have worked if the car had a cam and champion heads?these larger housings do soften up the bottom end and i really had to push the car to get similar 60fts on the 85pte.perhaps your mph gains are due the pte44's ability to slightly outflow the ta49.

wheelin, I'd stick with what you've got, slowly up the boost some more, and work on your tune. You should be able to get at least another 5mph out of it.