T.V. Cable question

EFFNQWKWE4

I've had my car for about 9 months now, and I'm finally getting to all of the little tips and tricks. Yesterday I was going to adjust the TV cable a click or two, (never done this before) and I noticed that it's already backed all the way out! The previous owner must have adjusted it before the car was sold to me. My question is this- how do I get my 2nd gear "chirp" back? The car stopped shifting hard a while ago. Used to spin at the top of first, the chirp HARD into 2nd.....now, no wheelspin, no chirp. I have identified that the clutch pack in my posi needs to be replaced. Could this be the reason that my car isn't performing/shifting like it should? Or, should I start looking at trans parts? I read that if the TV cable is adjusted on a car with an ailing trans, it will speed the wear on the trans. What damage may have occurred to my drivetrain by driving like this, and more importantly, how do I fix it? I can't just re-set the cable, can I? Lots of questions here, and thanks for the help!!

Originally posted by EFFNQWKWE4
I've had my car for about 9 months now, and I'm finally getting to all of the little tips and tricks. Yesterday I was going to adjust the TV cable a click or two, (never done this before) and I noticed that it's already backed all the way out! The previous owner must have adjusted it before the car was sold to me. My question is this- how do I get my 2nd gear "chirp" back?
In order for a "chirp" to happen you must A) have the power and B) have a quickly shifting transmission that allows the tires to "turn over" at the shifts.

You seem to be focused on B) and not A). Are you certain of the culprit?
The car stopped shifting hard a while ago. Used to spin at the top of first, the chirp HARD into 2nd.....now, no wheelspin, no chirp. I have identified that the clutch pack in my posi needs to be replaced. Could this be the reason that my car isn't performing/shifting like it should?
The clutch pack in the posi has nothing do to with A) or B) above.
Or, should I start looking at trans parts?
IF you are certain that this isn't a motor-power-related issue, then yes.
I read that if the TV cable is adjusted on a car with an ailing trans, it will speed the wear on the trans.[that's correct! What damage may have occurred to my drivetrain by driving like this, and more importantly, how do I fix it? I can't just re-set the cable, can I?
The damage is smoked clutches and/or a burned band. If the cable is already pulled all the way out, it is stretched out of shape, not allowing it to do its function. The function of the T.V. cable is to raise the tranny fluid line pressure as you go deeper into the throttle.

It is a likely scenario that the trans was starting to fail prior to your purchase. The previous owner then tightened up the T.V. cable to increase the line pressure to literally "force" the transmission to shift hard. But when too much line pressure is used ALL the time, the clutches and the band wear out more quickly.

You "fix it" by rebuilding the trans with fresh clutches and a new band (for starters). Note, if you just replace the T.V. cable to up the line pressure again, you will succeed in having the clutches and/or the band completely burn away all friction material left...causing major schrapnel damage to go through your transmission.

BUT, IF the trans is working fine and the motor just isn't pumping out the ponies anymore, you've just thrown away several hundred dollars on an uneccesary transmission rebuild.

Thanks Scott! At the end of last summer, the motor was making enough power for traction limited high 12's, so I know it's got enough power to light the tires up! I'll start looking into a rebuild on the trans. Anybody know of a reliable shop in the MD, DC, VA area? Suggestions please!:D

It was my understanding that the TV adjustment has nothing to do with WOT shifting, only kickdown and part throttle pressure. I'm certainly no expert here, but several other threads indicated that there is another control valve (??) that handles line pressures at WOT.

Please let me know what you think. My car will bark 2nd at 1/2 throttle, but is sloppy at WOT since I replaced the pump with a HD unit. Before the previous pump failure, it would bark WOT, but was inconsistant.

Originally posted by scottyb
It was my understanding that the TV adjustment has nothing to do with WOT shifting, only kickdown and part throttle pressure. I'm certainly no expert here, but several other threads indicated that there is another control valve (??) that handles line pressures at WOT.
As long as the cable is still moving, it is adjusting line pressure. The cable should stop moving prior to 100% WOT, but that doesn't rule it out at WOT...as it is the one device that that mechanically changes the pressure outside of the pump itself during throttle movement.

There is also a line pressure valve that, I believe, controls the maximum pressure that is attained once the TV is at full tilt. WOT shifts occur when the fluid pressure overcomes the spring pressure at the shift valves.

If I were you, I'd be asking this in the Transmission Talk forum if you want the advice of real transmission experts...:D

Scott231 your wrong

Scott231,

in reply to what you said about the rear end not having anything to do with the tires chirping, thats just dead wrong! i just had my rear end done, before rear end rebuild no chirp, after rear end rebuild, hella chirp tires break loose. i did nothing but get the rear end done, how do you explain that one?

bryan

Remember to fill above the recom level I run a quart over and i will consistantly grab second.
Before I was chasing the first second shift not being chirp style or hardly ever doing it.
G forces push the fluid to the rear and the filter loses the fluid it needs.
Yeah, it could be something else ..no doubt.. but putting about a quart over is and easy check.
This is assuming the tranny has clean servicable fluid in it.
The overfill was recom by CK performance, Art Carr (old and new), PMAC, Level 10.
So being that I heard it from so many I tried it and I am glad I did.
Hope this gets it.

Later