T-top headliner replacement

ibroussard

In the process of replacing my 87GN's headliner with an ABS plastic one. It's a T-top car. I have a couple of questions...

1. I removed the interior T-top plastic trim pieces (the ones on the rear side of each T-top and the long center piece). Looks like there is nothing else besides these plastic trim pieces that hold the headliner up on that edge. Is that correct? No clips?

2. Is in necessary to remove anything on the sides (other than the coat hooks), or will it just slide in? Or there any clips holding it on the sides?

I know about the three clips above the rear window. Haven't tackled those yet.

Thanks,
Ira

i took mine out today its just the three clips on the rear winshelid the coat hangers and the front six screws it will just slide out

x1. What he said above will work. It did for me. Be careful of those rear plastic clips. They break easily.

Bruce '87 Grand National

Got the old headliner out without breaking the backer board. Only broke two of the three rear clips. Looks like it will be next week sometime before the job is finished since I have to wait on clips now.

My headliner had some black adhesive near the front edge between the board and the roof. About a half inch wide line of it all the way across. The headliner board wasn't stuck to it, but it's still on the underside of the roof.

One side of the roof had what looks to be sound deadener attached to it. Maybe 15"x15" square. The other side didn't have anything and didn't show signs of anything ever being there. This is an 18,xxx mile car, and I'm only the second owner so I doubt the headliner has ever been removed.

While I have the headliner off, is it worth putting some type of deadener on the underside of the roof, and if so, any suggestions on what to use?

Thanks,
Ira

One side of the roof had what looks to be sound deadener attached to it. Maybe 15"x15" square. The other side didn't have anything and didn't show signs of anything ever being there. This is an 18,xxx mile car, and I'm only the second owner so I doubt the headliner has ever been removed.

While I have the headliner off, is it worth putting some type of deadener on the underside of the roof, and if so, any suggestions on what to use?

Thanks,
Ira

When I did mine, my car also had one large rubber square on each side. I put them back in and didn't do anything else in terms of deadener. I did use a little adhesive to stick the rubber squares back on, though.

Those triangular clips in the back are a bear. It is easiest for me to get them out by using two flat blade screwdrivers to squeeze the sides together while a partner pulls down on the metal trim.

How do you prevent from breaking these fragile rear rclips?

Exactly what 1quick6 said. And lots of slow, slow patience. I broke one of mine without following 1quick6's excellent advice. But was able to repair it with JBWeld. Couldn't find anymore of those clips at that time.

Bruce '87 Grand National

Get replacement clips as per 1quick6's suggestions, also from junkyards. I have seen some G bodies around here, just forgot to get some. Will do the next time I go there as soon as the thermometer goes below 90 for a period of time.

Bruce '87 Grand National

G Body headliner

I got the headliner on the plastic backboard from G Body nice product look and fit,with in a month the material starting falling off the board.Of course I emailed and got ZERO RESPONSE.Would not recommend this product,as far as customer service I'll let my experience speak for itself.

Around the the indents for the coat hangers.

I doubt the fabric separated from the foam. The foam may not have been adhered all the way to the abs board in this area. You might be able to use some 3m adhesive spray with a straw attachment to get up in that area.

I didn't put my coat hangers back in since I liked the cleaner look.

I know you probably wouldn't want to mess with it because it's new and you are looking for satisfaction from g-body, though.

nope it's the fabric.I'm more angry at the lack of customer service,just a defective product it happens but they should stand behind their product.

you could easlily recover it your self for about 20 bucks like i did jeto got head liner material from the fabric store and come adheasive and it took me all of an hour to take the old one out and recover it and put it back in looks great i went with black beacuse i think it lookes better than the gray

I just bought this headliner less than a year ago,would it not make sense they would send me a new one.I mean i paid $300 for this thing.

I just bought this headliner less than a year ago,would it not make sense they would send me a new one.I mean i paid $300 for this thing.

Ouch!!! You should be getting customer satisfication from GBody. Don't understand why Brian isn't responding. Just keep calling, I guess. Surprised to hear this.

Bruce '87 Grand National

300 bucks! Have they gone up that much? I bought mine from Cars Inc. (oldbuickparts.com). They were the first ones to come out with the new plastic backboards. The owner owns a GN. I believe I paid 149 dollars about 5 years ago. Still as perfect as the day I installed it!:D