T- Top GN Owners chime in please.

randyp83

I bought my T-Top Gn In September and I haven't drove it more than 300 miles. I keep it under a car port so I'm not worried about rain getting in it, but I know it would if it didn't have a shelter over it. Any way, When I do drive it the wind noise drives me crazy. If I get the t top kit installed at GBodyparts.com will the wind noise all go away or should I just start over and go find a hard top GN?

Not sure, My 87 sat for 17yrs and I havent taken them off. I wont either unless it starts leaking. No wind noise either.... If I did have wind noise, I would just put in a louder stereo................. Sorry I know Im not any help.

There is not a 100% certain way to tell you that. I can tell you it will be as good as you could get anywhere else. Brian is really good with these cars and will take care of you. Come to think of it, he never returned my call... :D If you are reading this Brian I am still waiting on the limited lamps :D LOL, all kidding aside most people I know have no problems getting rid of the leaks and noises. Don't "start over" well...unless you don't like the car.

My T-Top doesn't have much wind noise at all. The T-Tops do have to be properly adjusted so that they don't make wind noise.

T-Tops....a subject I am familar with.....

First, the tops can be adjusted somewhat to tighten them up. Be sure to have the anti rattle strips installed. If your car has not been run hard in the past the ideas I state here will knock out most of the rattles/wind noise etc.

Install rear seat braces and front frame and connecting braces. You want to get the car as tight as possible since half the roof has been cut out. Be sure your door windows don't have excessive play. Its a known fact from the factory none of these cars are sitting perfectly square on the frames. It was always off, but not off enough for GM to make the adjustment! (True story).

One reason Ford stopped offering T Tops in their Fox body because of the issues of w ind noise and water leaks. Its tough to have a high torque car stay tight when the roof has been cut.

However, on low mileage examples that are kept stock T Tops in the summer are great. Best to "eye" ball the back edge of both tops to see if they are in alignment with each other also.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

I bought my T-Top Gn In September and I haven't drove it more than 300 miles. I keep it under a car port so I'm not worried about rain getting in it, but I know it would if it didn't have a shelter over it. Any way, When I do drive it the wind noise drives me crazy. If I get the t top kit installed at GBodyparts.com will the wind noise all go away or should I just start over and go find a hard top GN?

Not sure about the kit from GBodyparts, but I have a T-top car and don't have wind noise...no bracing either, and I take mine out pretty regularly in the summer. Maybe try Kirban's suggestions?

My previous GN T-top never had wind noise 100,000 miles many upgrades. My new T-top GN does because of worn trim mainly. Am planning on replacing weatherstripping over the winter and go from there.

also try conditioning the seals with vaseline.... wipe on wipe off.. it swells the gasket a little...

Thanks for all the tips. Going to drop it off thursday at g bodys. Do you have any suggestions on redoing the seats in a gn?

t top

my t top had very little wind noise but both seals are ripped now and i need to replace all the seals.What seals or t top weatherstriping should i bye.

THANX JOE

BUY ONLY GM MADE T-TOP WEATHERSTRIPPING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had bought some of Gbody Parts weatherstripping. It was close but no cigar.
There where certain aspects and dimensions that were not correct. I sold them and bought the GM stuff. PERFECT FIT!

If your seals are not ripped up then I would not replace them. Try to adjust and condition them first.

Just my .02 cents worth but I am sure "someone" will tell you otherwise.:rolleyes:

BUY ONLY GM MADE T-TOP WEATHERSTRIPPING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had bought some of Gbody Parts weatherstripping. It was close but no cigar.
There where certain aspects and dimensions that were not correct. I sold them and bought the GM stuff. PERFECT FIT!

If your seals are not ripped up then I would not replace them. Try to adjust and condition them first.

Just my .02 cents worth but I am sure "someone" will tell you otherwise.:rolleyes:

Over 300+ sets sold & you were the first complaint I heard. Should of told me you were un happy & we would have taken them back. Trust me I have seen other customers walk in with seals that are sold as original GM just to see Metro stamped right on it. We do carry the original GM anti rattle & the main t-top seal for the glass itself. The main body seal has been discoed for a while.

I have cut t-top roofs off a car & installed another T-top roof on. When changing from a t-top to a hard top the a-pillars are a different thickness. You have to splice down low on the a-pillar for that. I have a pretty decent knowledge of these. We have the Kits made into stainless from the original metal. We just repaired by welding in new metal on 2 87 GN t-top cars last month.

Dennis you have really good points. Most of the time the biggest mistakes we see is not using the thin styrofoam behind the trim not being re-installed. Poor rust repair. Or just a soft ball size of Dum Dum smeared into the roof to patch the rust. Yes Archie that 1 was for you :biggrin:.

I only had 1 t-top car I couldn't get to stop the wind noise from. I charged the customer nothing. He handed me $500 & then told me that the SS aero coupe had been t-boned. Straightened out & it was the best it was probablly ever going to be. I must of had 30+ hours in that car.

Randy we can show you how to re-do the seats. We are Buiding an addition to the Mezzanine level where all the interior parts are for more room to R & R seat covers.

I have the gbodyparts full T-Top weatherstrip set, along with all the SS hardware. I had my paint/body guy set it all up. I have to be sure to move the tops so they line up well front to back because the tops have a piece of weatherstrip that touches the top of each window so there will be wind noise if I don't set them in the right spot so they also meet the front and rear weatherstripping on the a and b pillars, but it just takes a quick eyeball and its in. Nice and quiet as TTops can be, don't think they'll be as quiet as modern luxury cars where you can hear a pindrop.

My T-Top doesn't have much wind noise at all. The T-Tops do have to be properly adjusted so that they don't make wind noise.

x1. And my '87 Grand National has no wind noise at all.....it's still on jackstands, real quiet, really.:rolleyes:

Bruce '87 Grand National