T-Riv tranny

What about down pipe, ect... You are saying that just with the headers and a new bracket, that I can move the turbo up on top? That would be great as I think length is going to be an issue. Looks like I will need about 38 inches from the rear of the turbo/crossover to the front of the radiator. I have exactly that, and I want a little extra space.
Also I understand that the intake is actually different then the regals?

Anyone have a set of headers I can have just incase I need them. Hate to have to scurry late in the game if I don't need to. Maybe I can just borrow them incase :)

Intake manifold is the same.

You would probably want to use both headers and crossover tube. You could get by without the downpipe since you're probably going to have to have a custom piece made anyway from the downpipe to the catalytic location. Just have a custom down pipe made. There are two differences from the Riviera turbo to the Regal turbo. The angle of the exhaust inlet flange is about 30 degrees different so a custom exhaust inlet pipe would need to be made from the pass. side header to the turbo. Also the exhaust elbow coming out of the turbo is inferior in flow to the Regal, but it's not really a big deal in your application. You would also need the turbo to intake adapter for the Regals. It's about 2 inches tall and adapts the turbo compressor to the intake. It's much like the U shaped adapter you already have only straight. If you decide to use the regal system, let me know I probably have a use for that U shaped piece.

You also may have a problem with the exhaust elbow pointing in the wrong direction. The Riviera has a 90 degree difference from inlet to outlet so if you turn the turbo to be set like a Regal, your elbow won't work. It will be pointing straight up! To compound the problem, the bolt pattern on the turbine side is different from a Regal, so a regal elbow won't bolt up. Now that I think about it, you should probably use a Regal turbo as well. Again, if you do use the regal turbo I would have a use for that turbo you would not be using.

Thanks for the info. I didn't think it would be that easy, hopefully I can get it to work as I like the set up like it is.

Oh and if you are not going to use your 87 GN, I would have a use for it here. ;)

Cool. Well bring it on over. I have plenty of room for it in the garage. I'll even pay for your gas to get it here.

who said anything about $12,000. I just said I would pay for the gas so you can drop it off. Man, trying to take all my money!!! LoL

I Think I am going to have to use the regal turbo set up on the jeep to gain enough room

As of right now I am putting the whole car up for sale. If some one bites great. I was hoping to do a low cost conversion but it is quickly climbing. If anyone is interested in it, look in the cars for sale section and PM me. I'll give it a week and then bite the bullet and pull the motor

OK I am back. No luck selling the car as of yet. So time to start the swap process. I need a complete list of what I need to swap the Regal Turbo set up on to the Riv motor. This is what I know so far

Exhaust Manifolds, Complete Turbo, DP, Cross over pipe, Turbo Bracket.

Questionable items,
Intake manifold, oil feed lines, ECM, wiring, turbo to intake adapter for the Regals.

Wiring should be close enough too...

Replace the turbo oil line with a stainless steel braided teflon hose. You can get one at any industrial hose shop for under $30.

Would I be smart to upgrade to 86/87 ECM and wiring and coil? I am going to be running a big electric fan. I want to everything before I pull it out of the car so that I know everything works when I put it into the jeep.
Thanks

Definitely swap to the '87 ECM. It cures many of the driveability problems I've noticed with the '84-'85 cars. Just add a Manifold Air Temp Sensor and run the '86-'87 Mass Air Flow Sensor.

You can find swap instructions on gnttype.org

Coil & Wiring will be fine as long as they are in good shape now.

The '87 ECM also has a fan relay output so that your big fan will turn on and off with the computer at preset temperatures. This will not be possible with the earlier ECM.

4L60E

Any know how I would wire a 4L60E to work behind the 3.8? I just got one for cheap that will bolt up with the BOP adapter and my transfer case. So hopefully I will be able to use it.

Nathyn, I took off for the day yesterday after speaking to you via email. Since you decided to chop up the car I'll trade you an 84-5 regal downpipe if that helps you for your riviera downpipe. Also, if you'd part with the cat converter, plastic filler panels frt and rear (assuming uncracked), frt grille & headlight surrounds, stock radio, passanger door and trunklid (if un-rusted) I'll trade a stock 85 60k mile Regal turbo. Might be interested in trading for the 3 stock wheels, steering wheel, and any emblems as well if theres anything else you might be interested in trading for.

84c10- I have a source for my Regal Hot Air conversion. As far as the parts you are wanting, make and offer and also where are you located? The only things that are not good are the cat (gone) and I think the front filler panels are cracked, the rears are good. Passenger door and trunk lid have no rust. Front grille, headlight surrounds are in good shape as is radio and steering wheel.

I would be willing to trade for a regal oil pan and any serpentine drive brackets or accessories, and Regal motor mt brackets.

T-Riv, Turbo Riviera-
Will the Riv throttle body bolt up to the Regal turbo?
Does one or the other have an adjustable wastegate (still a little confused on those)

The throttle bodies are the same.

The throttle cable bracket is different from Riv to Regal, but I don't think that will matter in your case since you'll be needing different cables anyway.

As far as adjustable wastegates, It doesn't really matter all that much. Make sure your wastegate is a 2 port 'gate and you can put a grainger valve on it and make it adjustable. Let me know when you get it done and I'll get you a plumbing diagram for that.

Some wastegates are adjustable and some are not. Personally I've never been able to put my finger on a rhyme or reason to it.

allow me to be ignorant. Please explain the purpose of a wastegate and the grainger valve and also the 2 port design?
I know more about superchargers then I do turbo chargers

IMO, the two port is a superior design for your application. It is common to ALL hot air '84-'85 turbo Buicks.

One port sits behind the diaphram in the wastegate and one sits in front of it.

The grainger valve is like what you would find as a pressure regulator on an air compressor. It allows you to balance the pressures in front of and behind the diaphragm thereby controlling boost pressure and the actuator rod's movement.