Sy/ty Vs 86-87gn?

GN would beat a Typhoon but not a Syclone.

They Typhoon was generally around 14.3 and the Syclone was 13.7. Of course numbers are debatable but these were the generally accepted #'s for the GMCs.

We all know most magazines said the GN was generally good for a 14.3 as well but I think we all know different.

I had both in stock form not long ago, most recently being a GN.

The Typhoon would have taken the GN out of the hole due to the AWD but it'd be all over after that. The GMC fell on it's face after 50 mph. It was a MONSTER at the stop light though.

I found a newly paved parking lot and launched as hard as I could holding the brake and the 4 black marks were impressive. They didn't "spin" but obviously they were straining against the pavement. Wish I had a camera to take those pix's.

Yup, I got the papers yesteday....thanks! Wrote to the previous owner via eBay for vehicle history and am awaiting a reply.

Thanks again!

Originally posted by TT/A1233

The Typhoon would have taken the GN out of the hole due to the AWD but it'd be all over after that. The GMC fell on it's face after 50 mph. It was a MONSTER at the stop light though.

[/I] [/B]

That is absolutely my experience too, if you have choice to buy either one I would buy the GN for sure hands down, for performance, much easier to mod. The Ty is a lot of fun to drive especially coming out of the whole. The gas mileage sucks on the Ty due to full time all wheel drive but not too bad though.

Just my $.02

Prasad

My best friend just bought a totally stock TY. 13.84 in the 1/4!!!

Tough call on which to buy. I really want a Ty, but luckilly I just drive his when I want to!:D Loads of fun especially in the rain. For a daily driver my vote would be the Ty especially if you live in the north if you get snow. Depends if you are a car guy or a truck guy. The Ty will out handle my GN also. The GN is esier to work on, alot more room under the hood.
The Ty is definately more of a sleeper. Most people think it is just an early version of the newer Extreme. Boy are they suprised! Thursday we went to the track and my buddy lined up against a Mustang. He smoked him by 1/2 a sec. The Mustang guy came by to talk to him said that he thought he had an easy kill against this "lowered Blazer" . Then when he was watching the taillights he saw the sticker on the back and new why he was in left behind.:D

So basically from my recent experiance a totally stock Ty would beat a totally stock GN. I go on SYTY.net a fair amont and hi 13s are pretty common for stock TY's. The Ty is definately lacking in the top end. Still gained 20mph in the second 1/8 though.

With that kind of time I'm wondering if there's a few hidden mods your friend doesn't know about.

When I owned mine all my research indicated *most* stock Typhoons stayed above the 14 sec 1/4 mile mark whereas Syclones were in the high 13's due to the difference in weight.

I'm certainly not saying his isn't 100% stock at all, it's just slightly unusual to see a fully stock one (especiall one with a few miles) dip that low into the 13's.

We pulled the origanal spark plugs out and fuel filter. The plugs were pretty well shot. Plug wires are origanal still in all the origanal looms. Still has stock air filter location and origanal exhaust on it. This truck looks like it was never driven. The only thing wrong with it is underneath has quite a bit of surface rust. My guess is it sat underneath a car cover for most of it's life. So moisture stayed underneath and did some damage.

I am not sure what hidden mods would or could be. The thing is extremely quiet. No evidence of a cam.

Thing to remember is that was only at 95mph, plus launching at 8-9psi of boost!:D

That's definitely a good time, something to be very proud of in a stock TY. How many miles? Photos??

As far as the original question goes I'd say stock for stock back in 1992 the Turbo Regal would have taken a Typhoon 9 out of 10 times in a ¼ mile race, anything shorter I'd give to the Typhoon due to the unbeatable launch. As always there's exceptions to the rule.

62XXX miles on it. First pass ever was 13.97 then some 14.0 to 14.2 passes. Then another 13.9. Long cool down then 13.84 all on a bad tranny mount.

His first time ever on a track to! (don't ask about reaction times) LOL

Here is a photo of it that day at Maryland Internation Raceway. MAGNA Track rental earlier this month. That is N2HIPSI's 86 T in the background.

Attachments

• typhoon.jpg
    typhoon.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 176
I see he has a '93. I'm not sure if GMC upped the power between the '92 and '93 model years or not. It does look nice!

I see he has a '93. I'm not sure if GMC upped the power between the '92 and '93 model years or not. It does look nice!

Actually it is a 92. Just curious why you thought it was a 93 from the picture?

It was my understanding only white or black 1992 Typhoons came in solid colors. Otherwise the cladding would have been silver like my old one (click on link below). I thought only 1993 could you get the solid red.

It's been a few years since I owned mine and I could have my facts mixed up, but I thought that was the case.

On a side note I've included a photo of a prototype 4 door Typhoon GMC was playing with. It's hard to tell but it has the 4.3 Turbo engine, AWD, Typhoon graphics on the rear and Typhoon interior but Bravada cladding was used. Obviously it never made it into production. I caught this at the Woodward Dream Cruise and is being used as a daily driver by a former GM engineer.

Attachments

• 4 door typhoon 2.jpg
    4 door typhoon 2.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 116
We actaully did some research on the Red/Red deal. There were very few of them made apparently. Option code WA-7475 is the Red/Red which is on his build sheet in the glove compartment. Build date of the truck was 10-91. Double bonus for him, rare truck and fast!!

I have seen pictures of the couple of prototypes they made with the Bravada cladding, on sportsmachines.com Pretty wild. Thanks for the pics!

Matthew

That's definitely a good time, something to be very proud of in a stock TY. How many miles? Photos??

As far as the original question goes I'd say stock for stock back in 1992 the Turbo Regal would have taken a Typhoon 9 out of 10 times in a ¼ mile race, anything shorter I'd give to the Typhoon due to the unbeatable launch. As always there's exceptions to the rule.

I ran a 13.6 in my '92 Typhoon with nothing but a cat-back exhaust system. I really hated that truck. It was really cool to look at but it was a total pain in the butt to own. I bought it thinking it was a "GN truck". It's not.

Pics: http://www.turbojimmy.com/typhoon.html

Jim

Originally posted by turbojimmy
I ran a 13.6 in my '92 Typhoon with nothing but a cat-back exhaust system. I really hated that truck. It was really cool to look at but it was a total pain in the butt to own. I bought it thinking it was a "GN truck". It's not.

Pics: http://www.turbojimmy.com/typhoon.html

Jim
Nice looking truck prior to the crash. I'm really surprised you didn't like it. Personally I liked mine a lot but it just wasn't a Turbo Regal. MY heart will always be in a Turbo Buick...don't ask me why.

I liked the AWD, spacious interior, cargo carrying capacity, easy in-out, sporty look and rarity. Mine was 100% stock so I didn't modify the engine but understand it can be quite the headache compared to the Buick. Had GMC put the LC2 in it I'm sure it would have been another story completely!

Originally posted by Hognose
We actaully did some research on the Red/Red deal. There were very few of them made apparently. Option code WA-7475 is the Red/Red which is on his build sheet in the glove compartment. Build date of the truck was 10-91. Double bonus for him, rare truck and fast!!

I have seen pictures of the couple of prototypes they made with the Bravada cladding, on sportsmachines.com Pretty wild. Thanks for the pics!

Matthew
Wow!...that's interesting to know. Just goes to show you that you can't know everything about cars. There's always exceptions to the rule!

I have 2 more photos of that truck, one of the engine compartment showing the "Syclone" engine and another exterior if you're interested. It was a shame it was in such rough shape for an extremely rare truck. I can't recall if it's a 1 of 1 but it was certainly only one of a few. I know he told me others had been crushed.

Nice looking truck prior to the crash. I'm really surprised you didn't like it. Personally I liked mine a lot but it just wasn't a Turbo Regal. MY heart will always be in a Turbo Buick...don't ask me why.

Maybe that's all it is - my heart wasn't in it. I just found it frustrating to work on and it never ran as well as I thought it should.

The guy that fixed it up did a great job. He took that wing off the back and had the entire truck repainted. He put a cowl induction hood on it, which I don't care for, but it really looks great. Despite the fact I didn't like it much, it is a really rare and good looking example of GM creativity. I'm glad it wound up in good hands.

Jim