Suspension help...Please

davef

Still Learning
on my original 87GN suspension is beating my kidneys into submission whenever I am on any road that is not smooth. I replaced the original shocks with KYBs. They were a vast improvement for overall handling.

I am assuming that all of the bushings will need to be replaced. Also, I am leaning toward installing an air ride suspension. I don't want to lower the car. Just looking for a smoother ride. She is a garage queen with the frequent rides around the city in nice weather. Any help is greatly appreciated

If it's got the original suspension in it then it should be riding like a cloud. They aren't known for rough ride generally. How do you know it's all original?

If it's got the original suspension in it then it should be riding like a cloud. They aren't known for rough ride generally. How do you know it's all original?
Definitely not riding "like a cloud". That is what I am hoping to accomplish. I have had the car for 6 years and only changed the shocks. Mechanic told me that the rest of the suspension is all original.
cleardot.gif

I'd bet someone's put aftermarket springs in it then. If not that then the springs are worn to the point of bottoming out when you hit a bump. Sounds like you need a full rebuild because of the age. There's a good thread in the how to section that should answer any questions about how to do it if you want to do it yourself. I believe part numbers are also included so you can get them as needed.

Hi Dave,

We have Many customers out there with suspensions from us that are all very pleased with the ride quality, we sell Air Ride systems and also coil over systems plus we sell a factory style shock that is adjustable. We will have a new system out next week that you might be interested in.... Give us a call and we can see what would best suit you and your vehicle.

on my original 87GN suspension is beating my kidneys into submission whenever I am on any road that is not smooth. I replaced the original shocks with KYBs. They were a vast improvement for overall handling.

I am assuming that all of the bushings will need to be replaced. Also, I am leaning toward installing an air ride suspension. I don't want to lower the car. Just looking for a smoother ride. She is a garage queen with the frequent rides around the city in nice weather. Any help is greatly appreciated

I went with Ridetech air. Wish I could tell you what it's like, but my car is still in a thousand pieces.... Scott from GNS will get you straight. One note on the Ridetech air, (can't speak for any other air system/kits) you will have to notch (front only) frame where the shock goes. It's necessary so the shock can expand when it fills with air. Also, Ridetech had to make me special rear bottom shock mount brackets because I have a Moser Ford 9" and the perches are slightly different then the stock (8.5) rear. Looking at them they looked the same, but when it came to installation the brackets wouldn't work.

What do your body bushings look like? Like Charlief1 said "If it's got the original suspension in it then it should be riding like a cloud." They ride like a cloud because the factory purposely leaves several body bushings out so the ride is softer. Could someone have put aluminum bushings in? Not likely, but possible. That would make it feel like a dump truck.... Buy a full set of bushings, including the two GNX bushings, and new hardware from Kirban Performance.

Also, nothing wrong with a garage queen.... I have one, too. If I ever get it done..... Some of my friends laugh at me and tell me I should've just bought a poster of a gn, hang it in my garage and I'd a saved a $100k.

Also, nothing wrong with a garage queen.... I have one, too. If I ever get it done..... Some of my friends laugh at me and tell me I should've just bought a poster of a gn, hang it in my garage and I'd a saved a $100k.

Ain't that the truth!!!!

Hi Dave,

We have Many customers out there with suspensions from us that are all very pleased with the ride quality, we sell Air Ride systems and also coil over systems plus we sell a factory style shock that is adjustable. We will have a new system out next week that you might be interested in.... Give us a call and we can see what would best suit you and your vehicle.

Looking forward to speaking with you next week. Any hints on the "new system" coming out next week?

I put stock replacement springs in and replaced suspension and body bushings. Rides like a champ and other than time it was pretty cheap to do. Now if you want it to handle well too then GNS has your medicine.