Suggestions for FAST

Still getting familiar with mine- lost time last year- car was down. However- with my current bank to bank sys- can I set that up to control rpm at launch vs adding an MSD ? Larry:confused:

My brain never stops. Maybe it should sometimes, I'd be better off.

I wonder if you can make the FAST detect wheelspin and retard the timing- for example maybe in first gear, a car might climb 2000 per second. If the computer sees the RPMs jump 500 RPM in 0.1 seconds (for example) it could go into "wheelspin" mode and back the timing off.

Maybe that's a stupid idea.

Here's a better idea- have some of the logic time-dependant. For example, if TPS goes above 75%, then hold a relay open for 3/4 second. When it goes back below 75%, hold a different relay open for 2 seconds. Or something.

-Bob C.

Originally posted by bobc455
My brain never stops. Maybe it should sometimes, I'd be better off.

I wonder if you can make the FAST detect wheelspin and retard the timing- for example maybe in first gear, a car might climb 2000 per second. If the computer sees the RPMs jump 500 RPM in 0.1 seconds (for example) it could go into "wheelspin" mode and back the timing off.

Maybe that's a stupid idea.

-Bob C.

That's a killer idea actually. Unfortunately, adding such a traction control strategy would pretty much blacklist the product from any racing sanction. I personally believe that traction control makes for better, safer racing, but the racing powers that be don't see it that way.

Keep 'em coming... you'd be surprised to know all the people reading this list.

You thought I was done? Heh.

How about the ECM storing a set of the highest & lowest values that the ECM has seen? For example, the highest RPM might be 6200, and this would only change if it sees 6250, then stay there. You could make it resettable, so if you loan your car to your friend and he says "yeah, I never brought it above 3 grand" you can know he's full of doodoo. There would actually be much more practical uses than this, I just was using it as an example.

Maybe you can plug a laptop in and find out that during that traffic jam the temperature shot to 225 and you need to change oil.

And maybe a record of how many times the engine has run.

Kinda similar to datalogging, but different.

-Bob Cunningham

What about making warm-up enrichment dependant on the A/F ratio instead of just an additive ms factor to the pulse width? In other words, maybe a "warm-up factor" of 0.7 would make the engine target 0.7 richer than whatever the value in the A/F table (i.e. if the table has 14.2, then the actual target would be 13.5).

Maybe a little more intuitive for the user to program, however I don't know if this will work with the other algorithms in the ECM.

-Bob Cunningham

If these option are going to require by another 1500+ ECU then I'll simply switch to the AEM. It does all of the above, plus I'm running it on my Supra and its definitely better then my current FAST system. It would be nice to offer this ECU at a reduced price to already exsisting FAST owners as an upgrade. Just a thought...

Jose

Guys, guys, guys...Does anyone else see where this is going?

First of all, I wholeheartedly agree with most of the feature requirements I've seen here. As a past DFI owner, I've seen the last couple of generations of aftermarket automotive ECMs, and I think both Accel and FedMog are doing an admirable job of releasing an effective product that doesn't break the bank.

However...

The level of user-programmable functions, I/O points, process-control changes, etc. is quickly moving the requirement of this system into the realm of a PLC. As a process control engineer, it's abundantly clear to me what must be going through the mind of some poor b@stard at FedMog:

"How can we duplicate a MicroLogix controller, its HMI software, test, QA, release, and take to market...for 2 grand?"...which is basically what we're asking for.

If you REALLY want a finite level of control, end-user programmability, future-proofing, and vast I/O point capability, that's what you'll get; a PLC, with high/low Z injector driver, ignition, and device control modules.

I'm over-simplifying somewhat, but understand...it comes at a hefty price. Prepare to get into MOTEC dollars for fulfilling many more of these requirements...that's all I'm saying.

...that said, why hasn't the new system been released yet? ;) ;)

FAST

Man Bob C.
Your fingers must be smoking. How about a video for end users so us mentally challenged can learn how to use the functions instead of trial and error. Ted A had a good sugg about cells highlighted function that can show a area that needs attn. IE like areas over 6% fuel correction so you can look and adjust.

Steve:D

How about a video -- I've heard that over and over. Im all in favor. Why can't that happen? Larry

The AEM computer is a VERY nice unit. It has multiple inputs/outputs to control a very wide variety of things ie: nitrous, traction control, alky controller etc. Go to their website www.aempower.com and download their software. It has WAY more functions that any car could ever use.

With the newest version of the AEM EMS (I do not know when it will be available) you will be able to plug a wide band oxygen sensor directly into the box. The converter will be in the box already.

They do not have a box that plugs into the Buick harness. I doubt they ever will with the import market being so friggin huge. That is one downfall to the small Buick TR Market.

FAST seriously needs to hurry up and get their new box out. The AEM looks really nice, but I will hold out since AEM does not advertise on this board:D.

I would love to see Calcom have the ability to do some statistical analysis on a log.

Some examples:
- Compare the average actual A/F ratio for an entire run to the average target A/F ratio (to see if some slight tweaking of the VE values would help)
- Ability to calculate fuel usage (i.e. sum the injector opening time) over a long period, for example if I want to find the route to work that uses the least fuel or that I get the best MPG
- Integrate the TPS value over time- this could be useful on a traction-limited car to know if traction improvements allow the driver to stay on the throttle harder
-Calculate/display engine acceleration (RPM/second)

-Bob Cunningham