Stupid thermostat housing question...

Mountain GN

No, it doesn't have a V8.
Installed a 160 t-stat and a Kirban's stainless steel housing. After making sure the thermostat was in straight, I put in the new housing, but it doesn't sit flush with the intake, but sits out a bit. When I put the retainer on it, it holds it the housing in firmly, but I can tell that it's angled a bit.

After trying this a few a times, with the same result, I called it good and hooked everything back up and it filled with coolant. So far, after running it for about 20 minutes and taking a quick drive, there are no leaks.

Still, I'm not comfortable with this and am wondering if I should take it apart again, or this the normal fitment of the Kirban's housing?

Not sure if mine is a Kirbans or not, but i had a little trouble getting mine to go all the way in also. I just took a short 2x4 at the end of the housing and gave it a light tap with a hammer and it went and seated properly.

put a little lube on the o-ring. If you put it in dry you risk it rolling out of it's seat and tearing or not sealing.

Not sure if mine is a Kirbans or not, but i had a little trouble getting mine to go all the way in also. I just took a short 2x4 at the end of the housing and gave it a light tap with a hammer and it went and seated properly.

put a little lube on the o-ring. If you put it in dry you risk it rolling out of it's seat and tearing or not sealing.

So, it should sit flush, eh? I was hoping y'all would say it's fine if it doesn't leak!

I'll take it back apart today and lube up the o-ring and tap it back in. It's that damn retainer bolt that I hate dealing with! Anyone ever use a stud with a nut instead? That would have to make it easier!