Stuck lifter plunger?

getchasum

MISSING 2 CYLINDERS???
When changing out the old stock valve springs it seem that the #1 intake lifter did NOT compress any if I pushed down on the push rod (The car set for several years), This weekend was my first chance to drive the car any and sure enough I’ve got a slight valve train tap on that side. I’m thinking the plunger is stuck, lifter not pumping up or something like that. I would like to gets some thoughts on changing just one lifter or the thoughts on something to add to the oil that may help the lifter out if it is actually stuck?

I wasnt able to compress any of my lifters when i did my rebuild. You need a needle looking tool that goes down inside the lifter and relieves the oil out of the little holes in the side. It wont compress with just a pushrod pushing on it. The oil pressure through the pushrod, is what actuates the lifter plunger.

When changing out the old stock valve springs it seem that the #1 intake lifter did NOT compress any if I pushed down on the push rod (The car set for several years), This weekend was my first chance to drive the car any and sure enough I’ve got a slight valve train tap on that side. I’m thinking the plunger is stuck, lifter not pumping up or something like that. I would like to gets some thoughts on changing just one lifter or the thoughts on something to add to the oil that may help the lifter out if it is actually stuck?

Disassemble the lifter and clean the internals with laquer thinner then reassemble with oil making sure their is no binding in the plunger area and put it back on the same lobe. You can repeat this on the remaining lifters.

Disassemble the lifter and clean the internals with laquer thinner then reassemble with oil making sure their is no binding in the plunger area and put it back on the same lobe. You can repeat this on the remaining lifters.

I soaked them in laquer for a day then oil for another. The engine was quiet as a mouse when i pulled it.

Agreed.

But then I notice a roller in his sig so the lifter will only come apart so far - maybe for a different engine???

Agreed.

But then I notice a roller in his sig so the lifter will only come apart so far - maybe for a different engine???

Yes this was for a stock re-build. I was told if it aint broke dont fix it!! Valve trane was very quiet when i pulled the motor and internally everything was very clean.

Agreed.

It's the new T in my sig, everything on the car is bone stock. The car sit for a while (3.5 yrs) before I bought it and I've been bringing it back to life the last few months.