Struts for the TTA Koni Red's or Yellow's

Jas89TTA

Looking to replace the struts on my car to a set of adjustable ones. It's a street/strip car and I'm looking to get whichever will work best for the street/strip? Anyone else running them on a TTA? Any opinions on them or other brands they have used. I figured it's time to replace them after 17 years and 125,000 ;) Thanks, Jason

I ordered them thru summit. The summit part numbers I order are KON-87411030SPOR for the Frt and KON-301265SPORT for the rear. They have them for $239.95 each for the Frt and $109.95 each for the rear.

Hi,
I agree that KYB is pretty hard to beat, price wise. If I had the bucks, though, Konis or Bilsteins would be the way to go. Are the KYBs adjustable? I don't think so, at that price. By the way, just put front struts on my '86 Firebird, 65 bucks for the pair, AC Delco, so I'm OE there, great price.

I have had yellow Koni's on a TTA for many years now... They are very stiff. Although I do not dislike them, I would not recommend them to anyone unless they are a die-hard performance guy and takes the car to track events.

When I used to race my 89 GTA in the stock SCCA autocross class I ran the yellows up front and went with the reds in the rear. These cars like to be setup with full soft on the rear (yellows still too stiff) and 3/4 to full firm on the fronts. The nice thig about the fronts you can adjust them from the top and set them full soft for around town. I still have my shocks and will set them up the same way on my TTA's.
- Dave

davege said:
When I used to race my 89 GTA in the stock SCCA autocross class I ran the yellows up front and went with the reds in the rear. These cars like to be setup with full soft on the rear (yellows still too stiff) and 3/4 to full firm on the fronts. The nice thig about the fronts you can adjust them from the top and set them full soft for around town. I still have my shocks and will set them up the same way on my TTA's.
- Dave
Thanks, Dave I was wondering what to set them at. I received the yellows yesterday and was thinking of sending the rears back in for the red's. Someone else was also telling me I should go with the red in the rear. I'm not planning on doing any autocrossing but I will run it down the dragstrip a few times ;) Thanks, Jason

I bought Tokico adjustables for the front. The adjusment works well. I set them all the way to soft for drag racing, then back to firm for the street.

I am no expert, but don't you want the softest shocks possible on the front when launching to get the weight transfer?

I cut flat 1.6 60's with my setup. Yellow billsteins in the rear.

You would stiff in the front so most of the weight is already pushing back towards the rear wheels. That way the front will already be starting to transfer.

Jason

You want a shock that extends fast and contracts slow. For drag racing. This keeps the nose up and weight to the back.

I've done 1.44 on OEM GM shocks :redface:

83ttypecooled said:
Hi,
I agree that KYB is pretty hard to beat, price wise. If I had the bucks, though, Konis or Bilsteins would be the way to go. Are the KYBs adjustable? I don't think so, at that price. By the way, just put front struts on my '86 Firebird, 65 bucks for the pair, AC Delco, so I'm OE there, great price.

KYB XGR are adjustable[8]positions on strut body near bottom.

Stockers are good when they are serviceable.

Stay away from the KYB, ran them on multiple F and G body and I would still recommend them for G's, but they ride like crap in F's.

Bilstein gets my nod, might cost more up front, but definitely the nicest low high end ones.

The Koni;s are nice for the adjustability if your shooting for autocross or road/strip.

later
Jeremy