Strange Request - Please Read

BOOSTD

I am looking for a clear tube with an internal diameter of 9 inches and an overall length of 2.5 feet. I would prefer it to be glass but any NON-REACTIVE material would work (i.e. PVC or plexiglas). The most important thing is that I have to be able to clearly see something if it were placed inside the tube. Ive been looking on the internet for companies that make glass/plastic tubing like ive mentioned but so far I havent had any luck. If any of you have an idea about where I could get a tube like this, please chime in. Im sure there are some contractors/lab tech's/industrial workers out there who could lead me in the right direction.

thanks a bunch
BOOSTD

P.S. Dont ask what Im going to put in it...

have you looked in to lab supply stores or catalogs?

WVR is one that comes to mind. when i go over to our lab i will thumb through the cat. and see if they have any thing that fits the bill.

What ya doing with it?:D

Ya, Ive been looking at lab supply websites with no luck.

Ok, Ill tell you what Im going to do with it...

I am in an advanced human anatomy cource here at SIU and all year we've been doing disections on cadavers. Well, in a few weeks, we will be taking out the brain and spinal chord all in one piece. Ususally we "plastinate" them (cover them with plastic so they dont decay or get destroyed) but this semester I suggested that we find a cylinder tube/tank and put the brain and spinal chord in it. Hopefully when its done, we will have a clear tube with a complete brain and spinal chord in it from which future classes could learn.

I hope you werent eating... :eek: :D

BOOSTD

Im still up for ideas on where to find such a tank so any help would be great.

No, It will be filled with a solution of 3% phenol, 9% Ethanol, 3% methanol and a few other minor ingredients then diluted with water. I dont think it will get cloudy

Like i said i will look at our labs Supply book, i will also call my dad to see who he uses if he knows a source. (he works as an Env. Chemist for the state of AZ. he also ran the Media Prep Dept. and knows where to get things)

Well for medicla research I think you could scrape up enough $$$ to buy the 10" tube.

Since it's 5 feet long put all the guts in it. :)

You could always sell a few used parts to pay for it. :p

Good luck with the project.