Strange problem, converter stalls too tight only after sitting hot

Syclone0044

Full Street Trim
I have a 91 Syclone with a CK Trans 700R4 and a Yank "nitrous/blower" 2800 stall converter. I also run alcohol injection and around 23-24 PSI boost on pump gas. The converter is on the tight side but can stall 2900 @ 5 PSI on a launch (a little more if I really open the throttle while on the brakes). It drives and boost launches well when I am cruising around the streets.

My problem is, whenever I pull into a car show and park the truck for say 15-30 minutes, and then get in to pull right onto the street and launch it (either to show off or give a friend a ride), the converter will stall a lot tighter and it becomes very difficult to build boost. It's almost as if the converter stalls at 2400 instead of 2800. Then when I floor it, once it gets into 2nd it will be at full boost and feel normal.

If I drive around for 5 minutes first, everything is back to normal. I also experience this problem at the drag strip (unfortunately!!!) on warm days when it has been sitting in the staging lanes for a while. The longer it has been sitting, and the shorter the distance from where I start the truck and launch it, the worse this problem is.

I tune my own chips on the stock ECM with a real time emulator and datalogged WBO2 data, and I've already scoured my data to see if it is going rich and killing the spool, or perhaps the timing is different, but I can't find anything whatsoever. It looks perfect on the datalog, like it should spool the same, but it clearly doesn't. I figure it has to be something in the trans. :confused:

Is this heat related? Is my tranny fluid "cooling off" when it sits, and then it won't stall high enough until I get some heat back in it? This problem is incredibly annoying because it only acts up when I LEAST want it to (in front of a crowd). Whenever I am cruising around town and stop to launch, it NEVER acts up and always stalls great. The problem ONLY happens when it has sat for a little while and I pull it out to launch immediately.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance,