Strange noise

I had the exact same deal happen when I started can On-Center Stage II street combo many years ago. I had to shim the lower crank pulley with washers to get proper alignment. I didn't have studs the right length, so I used bolts and ended up dropping one set of washers and didn't notice it. It started whipping the belt and it sounded like a ball peen hammer hitting the block. Not like a rod knock, more randomly similar to your friends. Definitely a belt issue.

Remove belt to rule out cam sensor, install belt next size down. My car made a different noise which pointed to the tension pulley bearing , replaced the bearing noise was still present, replaced the pulley noise still present, went with a 63.5 belt noise dissapeared. I think the tensioner might be bottoming out with the 64" belt. Let us know your results.

Bingo! Car is at my garage now and had to replace the crapped out mini starter to get it to even turn over. With shorter belt 63.5" noise is now gone. Thanks guys! Now on to the fun stuff.

My billet tensioner was OK initially but I got squealling after a short time. Went to the next size down and problem solved. That belt must have been really long to skip like that. Just surprised it didn't squeal too. Glad it wasn't anything worse.