Strange Condition After Buffing

Phatman

Senior Irish Member
About eight months ago I buffed out one of my trucks, it had the factory paint (black). I wet sanded a couple of scratched areas, hit the whole thing with 3M medium cut with wool pad, went to 3M fine cut and foam pads and finished it with 3M finesse useing foam pads.

It turned out great, now this truck get's use as my daily driver and parked inside. I've had a problem when I've tried to wax it and don't quite understand why. The wax no matter what I use from paste to pledge nothing works, it just seems to build up on the surface and balls, damn near impossible to remove by hand, any ideas???

:cool:

Have tried to clay bar the finish? Sounds like you may have gotten into a contaminate more then the cause of the 3m product. Just a thought. Or use a cleaner wax before trying to wax. This would remove the build up and then allow the wax to adhere to the paint. Just a couple of thoughts.

turbo6x2 ...

I have tried a clay bar on it in the past worked well. In this case it seems as though the paint has come up to such a glaze that the wax just wants to lay on top, although it still seems to have a good coat on it. When I clean it I'm just not happy with any water spots or finger prints if you know what I mean. I guess I may be too quick to grab the polish, I've been trying Meguires #7 and it is just a little more work than I would expect, the Final Inspection seems to work ok with a diaper.

Thanks for the input....

Well, I checked it again yesterday, figured hood or roof, hit the roof with some Pinnacle cleaner and yes it did make a difference, thanks.....

I can relate the year we had the clear on the GN evened out we were just using "The Wax" for the finish. Well after about 25 plus coats, (we were car showing at the time and would wax Friday evening and Saturday ever weekend) The build up was horrible. Never really thought that you should clean the old wax off before applying the new wax. That was about 7 years ago and I have learned a lot since then. Patients is one thing. I like the Meguiars products, but we have a local detailer that has mixed his own products and these are the best. Now we use a show glaze over the wax and this just evaporates after a couple days, thus no build up and then the task of cleaning the wax build up off. (lots of elbow grease) There is also a cleaner and a conditioner he has. I apply this in the spring to clean the paint of contaminates, then put the good coat of wax on and repeat if needed during the season and right before putting it up for the winter. Our 16 year original paint on the 87 is still holding up (has a few thin spots but looks shiney) Of course I am loosing the battle with the paint cracking on the hood, plan to reshoot this this year. (after I get done painting my 85) I'm glad you had good results.