Strange 2-3 Shift "hold up"

joeyg329

Hey guys, noticed in my 87 t (200-r4 with 3000 lockup and trans go shift kit) that under part throttle it has a hold up on the 2-3 shift. Hard to describe, under normal driving it has a nice 2-3 shift, under wot it shifts right in. Under part throttle pulling around 10-13 psi it goes to shift and sits in limbo kinda, car feels like neutral but its not flaring up like a slip, then it hits 3 firm (but not slams). Maybe a 2 second delay. Very odd, had quite a few 200's and never felt this before. The kit has been in the car for a couple years, this just happened for the first time a few months ago even with the stock converter. Tried a few tweaks to the tv cable, but i have firm shifts, good shift points, and nice downshifts. Different cable positions wont make a difference. Any ideas guys? Thanks

I'd also get a pressure gauge on there and look to see what's happening at the 2-3 shift. The 200-4R's valve bodies are very sensitive to dirt. You might have a valve hanging up too. Some good advice in posts above.

good luck

Thanks guy! Ill check that stuff. Just got the car back together so the trans sat in my shop for 3 months on the floor. Could have got some junk in it. I have a spare trans go kit so ill check the servo seal and if all is well ill pull the valve body and check out the tv plunger. Ill keep u guys posted

Thanks guy! Ill check that stuff. Just got the car back together so the trans sat in my shop for 3 months on the floor. Could have got some junk in it. I have a spare trans go kit so ill check the servo seal and if all is well ill pull the valve body and check out the tv plunger. Ill keep u guys posted
just fyi,you can take the tv plunger out with the valve body installed.just take off the plunger linkage,pull the roll pin straight out and the valve comes out with a spring behind it. very easy.

Update (sorry been a long week): Trans now slips under load into 3rd. I talked to the trans guy I use at the shop, he said sounds like the forward clutch pack is failing. Im gonna pull it this week and bring it to him. Ill keep you guys posted