stock wastegate/rod questions

saleen90181

i have a totaly stock 86gn - i have been repairing the codes before i drive the car

nothing major - codes 31 and 32

i have fixed the egr codes - and replaced the WASTEGATE SOLENOID

but on a small bast up my road the 31 code comes back - only to dissapear under normal driving back to the house

now my question - how to i test the stock wastegate and rod?

the rod is a little rusty - should it move by hand - if so how to test - ie how to move it/pull it to test

there are no vacum leaks - and the car is makeing 15psi - but i cant tell if i am over boosting because the stock boost gauge maxes out under full load

thaks for any help

thanks for your advice - but as i stated the solenoid was replaced with a brand new unit - www.gbodyparts.com has new units if you need one

what i found - hope to help others

looking at the solenoid from the pass side fender - make sure the vacume line is on the outside port - one closes to you

the inside port shold have a filter on it with a metal clip that holds it in place - most are mising - but you can make your own from humidifier filters

you can test the stock wastegate rod and wastegate by standing on the pass side fender side and pulling the rod towards you - it should move freely - with little effort - should have at least some resistece

make sure the vacume line from the solenoid to the wastegate rod vacum port has no holes or kinks

bent, rusted, or broken wastegate rod vacum (the solenoid on the wasgate rod) with throw the code 31

adj wastegate rod will also throw the code

any vacum leak might produce the 32 and 31 codes

the fix for my car was - in this order - this just worked or me - not saying all of it needs to be done to fix this code -

the vacum line on the solenoid was on the wrong port

i verified that the wastegate was working - as stated above

wd40 the entire wastegate rod assably

i found that the vacum line going to the emission canister on the driver side was not pluged in - big vacum leak

i replaced the erg electronic controler - had already replaced the erg valve

replaced all vacum lines with silcon lines from gbodyparts.com

installed home made filter from humidifer on wasgate solenoid

replaced the hose from your stock size turbo to intercooler, (2") The hose from your intercooler to your up pipe (2.5"), and your up pipe to your Throttle body. (2.5") with gbodyparts.com race parts solutions siicone parts

removed the kennybell filterbox and replaced with k&n cone filter - kept the kenny bell ram air hose pointed at the filter

replaced the stock maf to turbo hose with an alum pipe from gbodyparts.com partner http://www.buickgn.com/mafpipes3INCH.htm

after all these fixes received no codes on the scanmaster and no check light

car made 17psi of boost - no issues -

still have to fix the stock boost and rpm gauge - caspers will be called in the near future - or i might switch to the gnx style dash

hope this helps another newbi like me trouble shoot this kind of problem - a scanmaster or other tool is a must

that's what makes this site great. :cool: all the info you get at a drop of a dime. :biggrin: thank you for the info. :cool: