stock suspension drag setup???

Double-L

looking for some advice and/or guidelines on some suspensions settings for a 87 gn... i wont post all the mods becaue its alot but last time the car was out it went 10.93 @ 125 @ muncie dragway but with a horrible 60ft in my opinion (1.60) foot brake car with a lee thompson built trans with a 3600 precision converter. ive went 10.90s on 275/60 mt drag radial and also on a 28x9 mt slick. if more info is needed i can send a pm. but looking for shocks,spring settings and weight percentages if possible. thanks for the info in advance

The very 1st thing anyone would have to know to even think about answering your question is what does the car do?? Does it spin the tires as soon as you leave? Does it hook then spin? Does it not spin at all just slow out of the hole? Transbrake or foot brake? What suspension does the car have now? Stock ride height?

You think a 1.60 60 ft is bad? Sheesh I'd gladly trade you my 2.00 60 ft if it makes you feel any better.

sorry for the late reply, i'll try to answer these questions. it is a foot brake car and when i stage it loads the suspension... lifting the whole car. trying to launch at 8-10psi of boost. pretty much on the verge of doing a burnout. with the slicks the car will spin for a couple feet then grab... spins a little more on the dr's but have had the exact same 60ft with both. car has addco lowers and not sure of brand but adjustable uppers. stock springs with an air bags. RR is set at 23#'s and LR at 4#s. has QA1 shocks and ive ran the settings from 3 all the way to 6 (out of 9 clicks soft to stiff) has the stock rear sway bar on the rear. the car leave dead straight. but just spins.. front suspension has koni shocks and stock springs with some skinnies. just trying to get on top of the tire spin. leaving at a lower boost level the car is soggy off the line. hope this gives you some more info to work with

What were you shocks set at for your best 60'??

How much air in the tires??

One thing you could do if spending money isn't a problem is it'll most likely 60' better with a larger aftermarket rear sway bar because you could stop pumping up that pass. side bag so much and it should transfer weight better.

Lawrence

QA-1 setting
RF-1
LF-4
RR-4
LR-1
This is with a large 1 3/8 in. rear sway bar.
Might help-worth a try.
Also check to see that the rear and front suspension components are FREE.
When installing some people over tighten, making the suspension STIFF.
Body needs to transfer--lift front and set rear to plant the tires.
Sounds like yours is not tranfering the weight.
Best of luck.---Lee

I'd take the pressure out of the drivers side bag and lower the pressure in the passenger side bag by quite a bit. It seems to me like the bags are keeping it from transferring.

thanks for the advice lee, trying to get the gn to hang the front wheels like it did back when walter owned the car. btw this is jesse, i sign in with lawrences name because lawrence you and shawn are about the only buick people i actually know. anyways... the rear suspension is free, would like to upgrade to that bigger rear sway bar, i have lowered the air in the bags (15RR 0LR) to try and get the car to twist a little more so it wouldnt hit the tires as hard and it gets a little sideways about 100ft out. i hope the new converter will help the 60ft (still putting the engine back together, and still dont know what was causing that noise) i'll be sure to keep you posted on how everything works as soon as we can make it back to muncie. thanks again for the help!

to answer the other questions, i run 14ps1 with the slicks and anywhere from 14-18 with the dr's. i had the rear shocks set at 6 when i got the best 60ft to try and limit the extension of the rear but still had some spin so thats why i thought id seek some help on the forum. ive had the airbags set all over the place and the car launches best at 23RR 4LR everytime ive lowered the pressure the car likes to get sideways at around the 60ft timer. but thanks to everybody for the info, gives me some new combo's to try

Jesse

Since we last talked, I have thought about that noise. Check all your intercooler connectors for a leak, since it is pressure related. I think I suggested blocking off the blowoff valve. Check couplers and intercooler itself. Sounded like air escaping--doesn't have to be a head lifting. Best of luck.--Lee

i'll be sure to do that especially since the car is apart, and we've talked about the blow off valve causing the problem. 2 other questions... 1. do you rember what brand of intercooler is in lawrences car? would like to put 3" tubing on instead on 2.5" and is there a way to pressure test the intercooler while it is still in the car? oh and one more, am i gonna have to haul that car to bowling green so you can put the direct scan on it? just kidding. cant say thanks enough for all the help

to answer the other questions, i run 14ps1 with the slicks and anywhere from 14-18 with the dr's. i had the rear shocks set at 6 when i got the best 60ft to try and limit the extension of the rear but still had some spin so thats why i thought id seek some help on the forum. ive had the airbags set all over the place and the car launches best at 23RR 4LR everytime ive lowered the pressure the car likes to get sideways at around the 60ft timer. but thanks to everybody for the info, gives me some new combo's to try

I would definitely try to go down some in the slicks and see what it does, my cars have always liked around 12 psi in slicks...Different size tire though so don't know if it'll help you for sure, but worth trying.

If you car liked the shocks stiff then maybe your air bags aren't the problem. Maybe you should try to stiffen the rear up more. I know it kinda goes against conventional wisdom, but my old T went 1.5's and had a best of 1.47 and the rear was so stiff if I bounced the rear as hard as I could it moved maybe an inch. It went 1.5's when I had a setup similar to yours (stock sway bar, air bags) and when I installed the big rear bar it went 1.47 last time I had it at the track.

I will say, that with the rear real stiff it worked good at good tracks, but if the track sucked the 60's did to.

answers

i'll be sure to do that especially since the car is apart, and we've talked about the blow off valve causing the problem. 2 other questions... 1. do you rember what brand of intercooler is in lawrences car? would like to put 3" tubing on instead on 2.5" and is there a way to pressure test the intercooler while it is still in the car? oh and one more, am i gonna have to haul that car to bowling green so you can put the direct scan on it? just kidding. cant say thanks enough for all the help

The intercooler is an OLD Tony Dequick cooler. Probably an efficent cooler. To go to 3 in. pipeing, would you have to put different ends on the tanks? To test the intercooler--there are plumbing plugs for different sized tubing. One would need to have a hole in it to put regulated air to. 40 max., I would say. May have something like that @ Lowes. My son has Direct Scan. He may be able to help altho he does not get off work untill late. I'm sure he could loan it to you. Best of luck.---Lee

last time i was lying under the buick i noticed the intercooler has got 3" inlets and outlets but 2.5" pipe. lawrence has asked about upgrading but i didnt know if there are some off the shelf kits or i need to order some pipe and a new band saw blade. i'll be sure to keep you posted on the progress

I would definitely try to go down some in the slicks and see what it does, my cars have always liked around 12 psi in slicks...Different size tire though so don't know if it'll help you for sure, but worth trying.

If you car liked the shocks stiff then maybe your air bags aren't the problem. Maybe you should try to stiffen the rear up more. I know it kinda goes against conventional wisdom, but my old T went 1.5's and had a best of 1.47 and the rear was so stiff if I bounced the rear as hard as I could it moved maybe an inch. It went 1.5's when I had a setup similar to yours (stock sway bar, air bags) and when I installed the big rear bar it went 1.47 last time I had it at the track.

I will say, that with the rear real stiff it worked good at good tracks, but if the track sucked the 60's did to.

seem's like this particular car does the same 60ft no matter where i have the car. ive yet to try full stiff on the shocks. thats no intresting info on going to the larger rear sway bar. alweays wondered how much it would pick up. thanks again for the suggestions