stock parts limits?

maliblu

How much power and/or boost can the stock parts handle?
I have a 84 T - Type and I am rebuilding the motor and was wondering what kind of power the stock block, heads, crank, rods, and pistons could handle? Any info would be great. Thanks

Originally posted by maliblu
How much power and/or boost can the stock parts handle?
I have a 84 T - Type and I am rebuilding the motor and was wondering what kind of power the stock block, heads, crank, rods, and pistons could handle? Any info would be great. Thanks

If all is in spec and you have the right mods 300-400hp should not be a problem.Strength seems about the same as 86-87.Provided you have the right combo of course.Is this a street car or track car or both?

mostly a street car that will see some track time. So you think the crank and rods will hold up to about 350Hp? The stock pistons look good but the car blew a head gasket and the prevouse owner kept driving it. If I can replace them for a resonable price I will but If possibly I would like to run the stock crank and rods to keep cost down. Thanks for your info!

Stock crank,pistons and rods are the same as 86-87 and can handle 500-600 hp.Look closely at all the pistons and look for cracks.Look for a "fire slot" on block deck caused by driving with bad gasket.The motor is strong enough to support the power a close to stock hot air makes without a problem.The problem you will face will be getting the power out of it that you want,not if it can handle what it will do.350hp will take a few tricks.I suggest you look at alchy injection for the street,razors kit is the best out there right now,pricey but worth every cent IMO.

Thanks for the info is the 84 block the same as the 86-87 block?
About how much HP does your GN make running 12's?
What do you have done to your motor?

No the blocks are close but different.The 86-87 block is said to be stronger in certain areas.You can find a detailed writeup on www.gnttype.org .I can only guess my horsepower #'s but don't bother.I just put them together and tune it to the best of my ability and go.The non intercooled setup has alot of hurdles to get over before it has the same capabilities as a stock intercooled setup therefore the approach to the modifications differs somewhat.What works for a hotair may do nothing for an IC car and vice versa.Other things are exactly the same.I have not been up on hot airs since I sold my 84 2 years ago and I'm sure there is more stuff available for them now.Read up in the hot air section of this board and the others and be sure to search before you ask,opinions very and alot of the most experienced are tired of reposting the same info time and again so if you just ask first you will miss out sometimes on important info.good luck,happy holidays-