Stock I/C vs. Dutt Neck I/C flow

"Turbo-T"

V6 on steroids
As I understand the stock GN I/C's weren't the highest flowing, but swapping over to a Dutt neck does help increase a stock I/C's efficiency.

I have alky injection on my car and a TE44 turbo and a stock I/C. I would like a nice PTE I/C but cannot afford it right now/anytime in the near future. :frown: Also my car is mainly a street car and I've heard PTE I/C's are more for the hard core racers that really need the best of everything.

Yet I've found a Dutt neck I/C for just over $100 shipped.

My question is has anyone done any side by side comparisons with a stock neck I/C and a Dutt neck I/C?

I'm looking for both flow numbers as well as any 1/4 mile improvements over the stock I/C.

When I went from the stocker to a Dutt neck years ago I noticed a nice diffrence. Not only do you free up a bottleneck, but gain about 2 more PSI....:cool:

I agree. I noticed a difference before I did anything else to my car. To this day, I still say that putting my 3 inch exhaust and downpipe and my Dutt neck IC, on my all stock engine was the biggest difference maker to date. I ran the stock turbo without ALKY for a summer and a half with just the exhaust and IC mod and was very happy...for awhile. I now have the BIG PTE, 49a running 26 psi, ALKY, and a new TT chip. I cant wait til I get to do some tuning real soon.

Coach

Ok cool...just that I purchased a Dutt neck I/C and am starting to wonder if I should have held out for one of them expensive PTE I/C's.

when i changed over to the Dutt Neck i also had to turn down the boost. I can't tell you about performance since my car was running like crap.

Spraying Alky I took my Dutt Neck IC to 11.90 at only 22psi on a TE60...I say with alky or race gas you can run it into the 11's with no problem at all. But the alky did help with the heat soak.....:cool:

The Dutt neck is a good bang for the buck if you are on a budget. It seems to free up about 2lbs of boost. I would guess the PTE SLIC would free up 4lbs. Just a guess though. My TTA in my sig has a Dutt neck IC. Times and mods in sig.

Understand that a Dutt neck frees up 2 lbs of boost, I always figured unless your wastegate actuator or boost controller was already maxed out, if you really wanted an extra 2 lbs of boost, you could just turn it up 2 lbs. :smile:

At best I'm guessing since there's less restriction, the Dutt neck would allow the turbo to work less harder, and therefore maybe introduce less heat into the compressed air? Does my logic sound about right?

I believe I did read someone once mentioned a Dutt neck vs. stock neck allowed their turbo to spool much quicker...any truth to this?

Sweet6 how much boost is your TTA doing?

Understand that a Dutt neck frees up 2 lbs of boost, I always figured unless your wastegate actuator or boost controller was already maxed out, if you really wanted an extra 2 lbs of boost, you could just turn it up 2 lbs. :smile:

At best I'm guessing since there's less restriction, the Dutt neck would allow the turbo to work less harder, and therefore maybe introduce less heat into the compressed air? Does my logic sound about right?

I believe I did read someone once mentioned a Dutt neck vs. stock neck allowed their turbo to spool much quicker...any truth to this?

Sweet6 how much boost is your TTA doing?

The extra boost does come from the extra flow it offers. Basicly a free 2 lbs, and a cooler charge. A win-win.

Yea, if you want 2 more lbs, turning it up with the WG rod obviously does it, but at the cost of more heat thru the stock I/C neck.

Yes, you are correct in the thought that reducing the restriction results in less heat.

Yes, you are correct that it allows the turbo to spool faster.

You won't be disappointed in your purchase. I know I wasn't.

When you get the Dutt-neck cooler & compare it to your stocker, you'll be amazed at the size difference. There is no doubt that the stocker is a major bottleneck in the intake system.

It's a nice, easy to do mod that gives you your money's worth. I was running mid 12s with mine and probably could have gotten to the low 12s with alky at that point. I went with alky, injectors, bigger turbo/intercooler and had to start tuning all over, actually went slower at first which is pretty common.:(

pictures i took

Attachments

• 1968 chevelle 001.jpg
    1968 chevelle 001.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 401
  • 1968 chevelle 002.jpg
    1968 chevelle 002.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 399
Look at the bennefit of the dutt neck this way, you get more air for the same manifold boost reading. More air allows for more fuel which equals more power. You are spraying alky, so the air charge is cooled pretty well already. For a $100 or so investment you can't do any better.

The high end slic will have an even better pressure drop plus cool better, but you mentioned its a street car.. To me that means slower than 11.50 (no bar), and mostly stk engine stuff. You need no more than a dutt neck for this. The other money would be better invested in other stuff (assuming you don't have them) suspension upgrades, drag radials, tuning stuff (ie: power logger).

Sleep well, sounds like you made a good purchase.

PM MAXCOM,
I sold him a mint condition,Dutt-neck IC a few months ago. He will be able to tell you how much difference he noticed. Might help you decide.

Coach

you get more air for the same manifold boost reading. More air allows for more fuel which equals more power.

Thanks...sounds like this equates to "more volume of air". That has me wondering if those blue tops are gonna be able to live with this.

Perhaps it's about time for an injector upgrade?

You are right, my car doesn't have a cage and I don't plan to install one anytime soon...and yes if I could get her to 11.50's I'd be happy...for a while anyways.

Gotta get her to the track first though to see what she does.

The first thing id look at if i was trying to run a stock core intercooler is the gearing and torque converter being used. I had the best luck running the tallest tire i could get in there. They were 28.5x9 Phoenix slicks. You need to build the entire combo around the intercooler since it will likely be the biggest restriction. Tall tires with a decent converter will allow you to keep the rpm around 4500 or less throughout the quarter mile. The Dutt neck mod may give you a couple hundred more rpm before it has the same pressure drop. Under 4500rpm is where you wont be seeing much of the pressure drop effects of the stock intercooler. Above that on a 231ci you will start seeing a larger and larger pressure drop as you rev past 4500. Spraying a bunch of alky in there will take care of the poor cooling efficiency but will not help the preessure drop problem. The intercooler needs to be analyzed in 2 categories. They are adiabatic efficiency and actual airflow. You will have a slight pressure drop with a really good intercooler since you are removing heat. The adiabatic efficiency is more a product of the surface area of the intercooler and the type of cooling used. The airflow with no pressure drop can almost be directly calculated based on the smallest flowing area of the intercooler. Cross sectional area will determine the amount of potential flow. This is why you can have a huge intercooler core but really chitty flow and most likely why small front mounts like the Precision perform so well in 99% of the cars they are used. This is especially true with hyd cammmed engines that only go to 6000rpm or so. They have the correct balance of adiabatic efficiency and minimal pressure drop. Ive seen much larger heavier intercoolers suck big time compared to their standard available front mount. The cross sectional area of the rows of tubing the air must pass through has to be large enough to not cause a pressure drop because of increasing airflow as engine speed rises. The same intercooler may show up as really good on the adiabatic test but is a POS otherwise.

Look at the bennefit of the dutt neck this way, you get more air for the same manifold boost reading.

This statement from a physical standpoint is misleading. If the manifold pressure is the same, the rpm is the same, and the air temp is the same there is no more airflow or mass flow. If you mean that you may get less pressure drop across the intercooler for the same manifold boost reading then id agree with that. The actual airflow through the engine is dictated by the ci and the speed.

i noticed a change in the spool area.at the track i personally had no gains.i look at it this way the dutt neck and stock intercooler with alky will handle the 44.

i noticed a change in the spool area.at the track i personally had no gains.i look at it this way the dutt neck and stock intercooler with alky will handle the 44.
Would you say the same for a bb te60 with tight converter or would a bigger intercooler be better at that point?

Would you say the same for a bb te60 with tight converter or would a bigger intercooler be better at that point?
wow thread resurrector;)kinda a loaded question now with the turbos of today,i will say stock intercoolers have run some pretty impressive numbers on stockish combos without being inmo a very good intercooler alky is the real game changer. a stockish combo dutt neck and alky into the 11 sec range is a pretty fun and very doable.