Stock Hot Air Turbo Recomendations

mccallumfam1

Hello Everyone,
I am a little new to the forums but here goes nothing. In my opinion the best, most extensive and informal turbo buick site out there. I got a 84 GN with a completely stock 3.8 SFI with the original Garrett TA33C turbo. I wanted a second opinion about upgrading the turbo. Should a guy get it rebuilt or just go for a newer one compatible with the hot airs? Maybe a TA34 or any other recommendations? There are a couple places locally that quoted me $350 and $450 just for the rebuild. Is that a fair price or am i being taken for a ride? I am trying to keep it as stock as i possibly can with little or no upgrades.
Thanks in advance. Oh yeah Im from Canada eh! LOL

Go to the top of this forum and do a little reading in the stickys. The stock turbo isn't a TA33 and that's the normal upgraded one for a HA car. You can get bigger ones but they're custom turbos that will need to be built by a good turbo shop/ I can PM you one that might be able to help you out.

I have a really nice 84-85 turbo that has zero run time on the cartridge sInce freshening. I could work out an exchange deal with you if you want. Cheaper than what you were quoted. PM me if interested.

Sure i am interested Bison, I have a few questions, are the stockers journal bearings? Do u think your turbo would be a good buy? Which Turbo? I am very interested Thanks

Sure i am interested Bison, I have a few questions, are the stockers journal bearings? Do u think your turbo would be a good buy? Which Turbo? I am very interested Thanks
They are journal. This is a fresh cartridge with used compressor housing and used ex housing. The comp housing is clean and the ex housing is painted with high heat silver. It's a really good deal IMO. If you wanted a custom turbo it could be done but it's a lot of work and I'd have to make a backing plate. You could then run just about any of the common Garrett turbines and comp wheels. You need to run a positive carbon seal on the compressor side because of the turbo being subject to engine vacuum.

They are journal. This is a fresh cartridge with used compressor housing and used ex housing. The comp housing is clean and the ex housing is painted with high heat silver. It's a really good deal IMO. If you wanted a custom turbo it could be done but it's a lot of work and I'd have to make a backing plate. You could then run just about any of the common Garrett turbines and comp wheels. You need to run a positive carbon seal on the compressor side because of the turbo being subject to engine vacuum.

I am somewhat interested but I may have a hook up on two t3/t04e hybrids for a good price. I will def keep u posted alright.