Stock GN 3.8 SFI Turbo Upgrade Recommendations

Hello fellow GN owners. I just recently purchased my 87 Buick Gran National and I am wanting to do some upgrades to the stock engine to make a little more power. Any suggestions on upgrades that would be somewhat economical but yet effective? (i.e., MSD ignition, larger fuel injectors, intake mods, turbo upgrade, etc..)

Thanks in advance,
Kevin

Start researching on here as there are many ways to do this. Stock turbo can get you in the low 12's or better if pushed. Everyone will ask what the intended use of the car is. To make it a fun, reliable street car on a reasonable budget with the ability to go right back to stock, this would be my list:
-open element air filter
-LT1/LS1 MAF, translator, matching MAF intake pipe
-adjustible fuel pressure regulator
-walbro fuel pump with hot wire
-42lb injectors with matching turbo tweak chip
-Scanmaster to help tune and monitor engine functions and a real boost gauge (LED gauge in the dash is not accurate)
-3in downpipe with matching test pipe (cat delete if you don't have to be emissions tested)
-HD wastegate actuator, RJC boost controller
-cat back exhaust. Pypes or hooker are the cheapest. These are 3in into dual 2.5in.
-Shift kit for the transmission from CK Performance, Buick Turbo Performance, etc.

Start researching on here as there are many ways to do this. Stock turbo can get you in the low 12's or better if pushed. Everyone will ask what the intended use of the car is. To make it a fun, reliable street car on a reasonable budget with the ability to go right back to stock, this would be my list:
-open element air filter
-LT1/LS1 MAF, translator, matching MAF intake pipe
-adjustible fuel pressure regulator
-walbro fuel pump with hot wire
-42lb injectors with matching turbo tweak chip
-Scanmaster to help tune and monitor engine functions and a real boost gauge (LED gauge in the dash is not accurate)
-3in downpipe with matching test pipe (cat delete if you don't have to be emissions tested)
-HD wastegate actuator, RJC boost controller
-cat back exhaust. Pypes or hooker are the cheapest. These are 3in into dual 2.5in.
-Shift kit for the transmission from CK Performance, Buick Turbo Performance, etc.
Thanks for the information Undercover87T!

Before I started addressing more power I would address the reliability improvements. First thing you should do is read through the forums here:

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
http://www.gnttype.org/

Then figure out what your car has already. For arguments sake lets assume it is stock and running correctly.

Scanmaster
Timing Chain
Valve Springs
Fuel Pump
Adjustable Regulator
Chip and possibly injectors

If you have gotten this far you can start looking at exhaust, adjustable wastegates, MAF replacements, boost controllers, and alchy injection for a lot of bang for the buck. Starting slowly is the key IMO because it gives you time to learn your car and your wallet will thank you for making mistakes on less power.

Before I started addressing more power I would address the reliability improvements. First thing you should do is read through the forums here:

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
http://www.gnttype.org/

Then figure out what your car has already. For arguments sake lets assume it is stock and running correctly.

Scanmaster
Timing Chain
Valve Springs
Fuel Pump
Adjustable Regulator
Chip and possibly injectors

If you have gotten this far you can start looking at exhaust, adjustable wastegates, MAF replacements, boost controllers, and alchy injection for a lot of bang for the buck. Starting slowly is the key IMO because it gives you time to learn your car and your wallet will thank you for making mistakes on less power.
Thanks for the recommendation Raeban!

Kevin

I don't see a need to do valve springs just yet. Imho. Thing chain maybe but I'm assuming you want to stay from opening up as much as possible. For me

scanmaster
chip and injectors 60lb
Late model maf w translator
Walboro fuel pump w hot wire kit
adjustable regulator.
Those are basics
These are add ons

alky kit
duttwieler neck
and a te44 turbo. Largest you can run on stock converter. Also your trans will be the next week link.

See how fast you can go on what you have. The safety list above is key though:

Hotwired fuel pump
Scanmaster
modern chip and injectors to match your goals
adjustable fuel pressure regulator
Then timing chain and valve springs depending on miles and if they are truly stock still

After you make it run right on 12psi, you can work your way to 15psi on pump gas. When that gets old, you can go an alky system and run 20+psi with a stock turbo. This will get you close to 110mph in the quarter. When you achieve this, then you can get serious about throwing performance parts at it. If it were me again, I wouldn't upgrade anything not mentioned above unless it fails or wears out. You can do all of the above for right around $1,000 even if you have someone install timing chain and valve springs. They turn quickly into money pits when the above performance isn't enough. Then it's a grand here, a grand there, and you may not go THAT much faster! ;)

See how fast you can go on what you have. The safety list above is key though:

Hotwired fuel pump
Scanmaster
modern chip and injectors to match your goals
adjustable fuel pressure regulator
Then timing chain and valve springs depending on miles and if they are truly stock still

After you make it run right on 12psi, you can work your way to 15psi on pump gas. When that gets old, you can go an alky system and run 20+psi with a stock turbo. This will get you close to 110mph in the quarter. When you achieve this, then you can get serious about throwing performance parts at it. If it were me again, I wouldn't upgrade anything not mentioned above unless it fails or wears out. You can do all of the above for right around $1,000 even if you have someone install timing chain and valve springs. They turn quickly into money pits when the above performance isn't enough. Then it's a grand here, a grand there, and you may not go THAT much faster! ;)
Thanks for the great advice. With the limited budget I think the $1000 recommendation is the way to go for now. Will be looking for assistance as I complete this project.

1- erry Houston Dp
2- stretched intercooler
3- tt injectors and chip
4- alky kit
5- drag radials
6- stall converter
That should make pretty stout

1- erry Houston Dp
2- stretched intercooler
3- tt injectors and chip
4- alky kit
5- drag radials
6- stall converter
That should make pretty stout

You would do all of that before a scanmaster or hotwired fuel pump? None of the things listed above will make the car "stout" but rather will make it even more fragile.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

timing chain
valve springs
roller cam button
oil pump mods and neoprene front seal while the cover's off
oil pickup without the trap door
injectors
matching chip
fuel pump with hanger and ground mods
hotwire kit
ground the frame
rocker shaft buttons
rocker shaft supports
translator and modern MAF
clean the grounds on the back of the head
plugs
wires
biggie filter kit
scanmaster at a minimum, powerlogger and wideband even better
PS valve cover filter/ flush the intercooler
up pipe and silicone hoses with Tbolt clamps
replace the stock MAF pipe with one that doesn't have a hole in it
weld up the drivers side header
Fbody radiator if the radiator is original
external trans cooler
set all the sensors and verify the knock sensor is talking
Service trans with Dex IV, new filter, and a drain plug
service rear axle with synthetic gear lube

(and probably some other stuff I missed)

Until that ENTIRE list is addressed, the car is a grenade with the pin pulled.

I wasn't going to post all the for mentioned items, "stout" as in go fast not safe! I would do the above mentioned mods 1st to make sure you have a good starting platform then move onto more power mods

its amazing how that long ass list I posted really don't have any 'performance' items on it.....

.....but it will let you kick the crap out of every "11 second" street car you come across. And do it consistently. No matter if the sun goes behind a cloud, it's hot, cold, whatever...

If I had my time to go over again, I would get a up-dated chip, and nothing else. You then can creep around town and not worry.As Most people are scared to death of a Grand National.

timing chain
valve springs
roller cam button
oil pump mods and neoprene front seal while the cover's off
oil pickup without the trap door
injectors
matching chip
fuel pump with hanger and ground mods
hotwire kit
ground the frame
rocker shaft buttons
rocker shaft supports
translator and modern MAF
clean the grounds on the back of the head
plugs
wires
biggie filter kit
scanmaster at a minimum, powerlogger and wideband even better
PS valve cover filter/ flush the intercooler
up pipe and silicone hoses with Tbolt clamps
replace the stock MAF pipe with one that doesn't have a hole in it
weld up the drivers side header
Fbody radiator if the radiator is original
external trans cooler
set all the sensors and verify the knock sensor is talking
Service trans with Dex IV, new filter, and a drain plug
service rear axle with synthetic gear lube

(and probably some other stuff I missed)

Until that ENTIRE list is addressed, the car is a grenade with the pin pulled.
A grenade with the pin pulled? Why do you say that?

while you are researching add ed brewer to your search.there are some guys that have gone real fast on very little and he is one of them.these cars can become money pits very quicky so tread carefully.stock turbo, alkycontrol,intank pump,scanmaster, a few supporting mods with a built trans and drag radials is a lot of fun on the street and has 11 sec potential when really pushed,12 sec potential rather easily.