Stock drums to rear disc brakes - Backspacing affected?

cuda6pak

I'm about to order some 15x10 4.5BS wheels for my 87 GN but need to verify - Right now the car has stock drums, but the plan in the very near future is to switch to Baer SS4 brakes front and rear. Will this affect my backspacing at all? I know the 15x10 wheels are going to be a tight fit, so I don't want them to end up sticking out OR rubbing on the inside once I switch to disc.

call Baer and ask them how thick the flange on the rotor is.. then pop off a drum and measure the thickness on that..
i think most rotors usually have a hub that's 1/4" or so thick, and most drums are around 1/8".. so that would move each wheel out 1/8".

I'm about to order some 15x10 4.5BS wheels for my 87 GN but need to verify - Right now the car has stock drums, but the plan in the very near future is to switch to Baer SS4 brakes front and rear. Will this affect my backspacing at all? I know the 15x10 wheels are going to be a tight fit, so I don't want them to end up sticking out OR rubbing on the inside once I switch to disc.
When switching over to BAER brakes they will push the wheel outwards which in turn will allow you to increase your back spacing.. That is why we bought our Wheel & Tire simulator so we can now re-size our wheels to accommodate the added space that the Brakes caused.

For some good info check out our thread on the SS4 rear brake install here---> http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/brakes-suspensions-tires-wheels/343546-baer-brake-install.html

Hope that helps!
Scot W.

The rear the SS4+ will widen track just under .200 as side (right at 3/16"). This is due to the rotor hat thickness and is common on any drum to disc conversion.

Thx!