Stock coil to distributor conversion checklist

I have the msd billet 8551 distrib, will the gear that comes on the end of it be ok or do I need a different one for a billet roller setup?

The gear is fine on the distributor, as the cam gears are cast and some aftemarket are steel. NO issues, but you better make a system to squirt oil on the cam gear through the fuel pump plate or top of the timing cover.

Hey Norbs! hope all is well man.

Gene gave me a MSD distributor awhile ago (thanks man!) it has a P/N 8475. I cant find anything on it in summit or msd websites. I believe I have the right one but dont know where to get the rotor and cap. Does anyone have a 8475 as well??

thanks
Ralph

All is well, except the usual, the car is giving me grief. I never heard of that part number, but summit sells caps and rotors, maybe you can post a pic and we can compare it to the 8551. I have a few in stock so i can look at them real close.

here ya go

Attachments

• msd1.JPG
    msd1.JPG
    22.2 KB · Views: 530
  • msd.JPG
    msd.JPG
    20 KB · Views: 539
That is the old style distributor if I'm not mistaken. John Schmidt has one of these on his car. He may know where to get a replacement.

This unit is slightly smaller in height than the new unit and it does not have roller bearings but a bushing for the center shaft. It also does not use the pesky nut/bolt deal to hold the cap on.

hy guys, thanks for the replys. If it is for an odd fire I obvously cannot use it. John S runs an odd fire motor?

thanks!
Ralph

You can use it no problem, as your only using one of the reluctor tabs anyway,to give the cam signal to the ecu. You would need an aftermarket ecu like the fast or gen 7, etc. You also need to lock down the advance mechanism so it doesnt advance.

The gear is fine on the distributor, as the cam gears are cast and some aftemarket are steel. NO issues, but you better make a system to squirt oil on the cam gear through the fuel pump plate or top of the timing cover.

So an oiling mod is required on the front cover to run a distributor? This is the first I have heard about doing that. Is this what all you tsm guys had to do?

Only if you run a hydraulic billet roller cam or soild roller billet cam. As those cores have no oiling to the cam gear that turns the oil pump, regardless if you use a distributor or not.

Only if you run a hydraulic billet roller cam or soild roller billet cam. As those cores have no oiling to the cam gear that turns the oil pump, regardless if you use a distributor or not.

Well I do have a billet hydrollic roller. I have never heard of such a mod and have run this cam setup with the factory cam sensor for about 5 years now. Is there a kit or something that oils the gear as you suggested?

Actually weber racing sells the kit that does this. I ran without the oiling for a while too, but the cam sensor and gear really showed alot of wear on it when i pulled it out. I know people who have worn of the cam gear within 30 minutes of use on a stage II. Oncenter blocks seem to have less spash oiling there. If you look at the factory cam it has a hole drilled in it to feed oil to the cam sensor drive gear, all billet rollers don't.

The cam gear is usually softer than the distributor/cam sensor , so just keep an eye on things.

My cam sensor gear looks almost perfect too. Is the distributor gear the same material as our factory cam sensors? If not, I will change the distributor gear to match.

they are the same, I am not doing anything with the oil. I will keep an eye on it but I doubt anything will happen

Looks like my dist is odler then Christ, MSD doesnt even have info on it. They dodnt even have part numbrs for the cap and rotor!

dist,

A bms dist, cap will work, rotor you can buy at any auto store, take your dist, to NAPA and look at caps around 66 model jeeps that had v-6 buick oddfire engines, i lost the part,# good luck,