Stock coil to distributor conversion checklist

Hey Norbs! hope all is well man.

Gene gave me a MSD distributor awhile ago (thanks man!) it has a P/N 8475. I cant find anything on it in summit or msd websites. I believe I have the right one but dont know where to get the rotor and cap. Does anyone have a 8475 as well??

thanks
Ralph

I have this distributor also. MSD told me the cap and rotor from a 8551 are direct replacements. The rotor appears to work fine.
The cap on the other hand is not a bolt on. The dimension's appear fine, just the screw retainment is a bit different.

A bms dist, cap will work, rotor you can buy at any auto store, take your dist, to NAPA and look at caps around 66 model jeeps that had v-6 buick oddfire engines, i lost the part,# good luck,

I saw this just as I posted :D

Called my local napa and the part number is ECH RR184. For $18 figured I'd try it. Should have it tomorrow. Thanks!

awesome! thanks guys! Dan, that part number is for the cap?? or the rotor?? please let me know how it works out. 8551 cap is not interchangable with our old dist!

Odell, can you pelase tell me if the terminals on the top of the cap are female or male?? I need to order boots from summit but not sure which ones to get. I ordered the cap and rotor

dist,

i would make sure it fits, before i bought wires, the ones that i have are female, your wires will be male with boots, when i got the cap from napa we must have looked at a dozen caps before we found one that fit the locator in the dist, that was two or so years ago and i sold the dist, with cap, good luck oc,

I would contact weber racing and ask him why he makes his oiling kit, for billet roller cams?

Went to NAPA this morning and it turns out the RR184 is not the correct cap. It fits, but the contacts are about 20 degrees off from the reluctor rings.

After repeating oc's experience of trying a bunch of different caps, I found one that works, napa # RR189.

Thanks oc!

****, that means I am picking up the wrong cap today. hopefully they will be understanding and reorder the right one.

thanks for the info

dist,

Went to NAPA this morning and it turns out the RR184 is not the correct cap. It fits, but the contacts are about 20 degrees off from the reluctor rings.

After repeating oc's experience of trying a bunch of different caps, I found one that works, napa # RR189.

Thanks oc!

your welcome, sorry that im getting old and i cant remember part#:frown:

thanks OC, you saved me $350.
d90dan, is your rotor part # r911165??? I picked it up at nappa as well.

Does anyone have some contact info for john schimdt or his oddfire motor ? im very in learning more about it-thanks.

hhmmm, I jsut got my crane hi-6s ign box in,. in the manual it says it is not made to be sued with magnetic trigger. well, I might look bad here but is this dist magnetic trigger?

thanks
Ralph

Cal Hartline did some work with a couple Odd-Fire applications last fall. He might be able to answer some questions also.

can one of you guys help me out. i spoke to Cal before and he tried to explain it to me. I heard noise in the background (sounded like thye were busy) so i didnt want to bother. I have to lock something in the dist? it has to do with a bushing on the shft I believe. I pull the gear off on the bottom, which will let me puill the shaft out and I will see a bushing???

I appreciate it,
thanks

dist

i believe what cal was talking about was locking it so it cant advance or retard, take off your rotor and look at the top and you can see the slots that let it advance and retard one of mine is welded and the other i installed a set screw so it cant move, good luck,

thanks OC. so i weld the 2 gold metal pieces closed>> what about the black piece thats part of the shaft? it is has movement to it, there are 2 enlongated slots it rides on.

thanks for your patience!

Attachments

• msd5.JPG
    msd5.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 241
  • msd6.JPG
    msd6.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 261