Stock Appearing Quick Spool Turbos??

Bob Smith

I had previously upgraded from a stock turbo to a TA 49 and I'm using a RJC boost controller, but I'm still not totally happy with the lag. Is there anything available that maintains stock appearance with a really quick spool?
Thanks

A new converter will help, 2800 PTC:cool: Otherwise anything bigger than a 49 will have more lag. My 49 spooled pretty fast but I was using a MafT pro and you can adjust a few thing for better spool up

I really don't want to change converter. Can a TA49 be upgraded with ball bearings?
Not worth it. A converter would be a lot cheaper. Id get a Garrett .63 ex housing or go back to the stock turbo.

Id get a Garrett .63

do this!!

ive got the garrett housing on the 49 in my GN with an RJC boost controller and a stock converter, it spools as fast as the stock setup....

actually spools faster if you wanna compare bone stock setup, to the 49 w/ rjc bc. im hitting 25psi before i know it.

perhaps there is another issue effecting spoolup?
what is the rest of the setup on the car?

do this!!

ive got the garrett housing on the 49 in my GN with an RJC boost controller and a stock converter, it spools as fast as the stock setup....

actually spools faster if you wanna compare bone stock setup, to the 49 w/ rjc bc. im hitting 25psi before i know it.

perhaps there is another issue effecting spoolup?
what is the rest of the setup on the car?

My TA49 has the Garrett housing and I'm using the RJC boost controller. I'm running 009 injectors with Razors alky kit, RJC power plate, 237 regulator, hot wire & new fuel pump & TT chip. This is a 15,000 mile car where I'm trying to maintain the stock appearance. I had the Tomka cold air kit, but actually went back to the stock air box with the open element. Maybe I just don't have the boost controller adjusted properly. What else could be affecting spool-up?

Not knocking the RJC boost controller, But I used a Turbonetics Billet boost controller when I had my 49 and I liked better I had both ,

yep, and actually clicks into place for each pound of boost.I could blister the tires from a roll out no problem. But it will never be the same as a stock turbo very very close though:biggrin:

Bob, Few things that come to mind.....

1) The TA49 is not going to spool as fast as the stocker (w/ the D5) unless you want to step up a little w/ a slight higher stall convertor...period. As is...you should be pleased w/ good results & real close to stock spool up. Step up a little & it will out spool the stock turbo. (Before you go that route, I really think there is some tuning needed) I use to run the same turbo (w/ Garrett exh housing) w/ a non-lock up AC 3200, I could smoke drag radials from a dead stop, not braking, by just flooring it. I did have more stall than needed but it sure was fun. At 1st I ran the 49 w/ the D5 and was please but a sale was ran on AC convertors and that was the only reason I swapped out..Sure was glad I did.

2) I don't see a different boost controller helping any. The one above looks very nice & clean. Also like the way it adjust. I may even add one myself.....but it's not going to change the way it spools. I've used many styles over the years.

3) we need to make sure you do not have an exhaust leak. Try this....
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/general-turbo-buick-tech/312356-exhaust-header-leak-tester.html
I know it's a low mile car but I also know that the driver's side header is still virgin and at some point they ALL Crack. Need to double verify it's not cracked or you have a pre turbo exhaust leak.

4) Also we need to test fuel pressure to see where you are at. You may be a little rich, causing slow spool.

5) I don't know so I'm asking...What kind of timing is in your chip 1st & 2nd gear? Is it an alky chip or a street chip? Does it have as much timing as the stock chip?

6) Where is the alky coming on at, again could be a rich condition?

7) Do you notice a big difference in spool up from the blk car to the gray car? Should be real close, w/ a slight edge to blk car.

8)Even if all tuning is dead nuts on...I still think you would be much happier w/ a little more stall. It will not hurt anyway the car drives, as a matter of fact you'd be doing this :biggrin::eek::biggrin: (You'll never notice a difference, except for spool up) If I can talk you in to stepping up to a little higher stall, nail down the tuning before adding a new convertor. Don't try to fix it by adding parts.

9) I need to drive both cars for a base line. :D

Which car are you planning on driving in March?

Bob, Few things that come to mind.....

1) The TA49 is not going to spool as fast as the stocker (w/ the D5) unless you want to step up a little w/ a slight higher stall convertor...period. As is...you should be pleased w/ good results & real close to stock spool up. Step up a little & it will out spool the stock turbo. (Before you go that route, I really think there is some tuning needed) I use to run the same turbo (w/ Garrett exh housing) w/ a non-lock up AC 3200, I could smoke drag radials from a dead stop, not braking, by just flooring it. I did have more stall than needed but it sure was fun. At 1st I ran the 49 w/ the D5 and was please but a sale was ran on AC convertors and that was the only reason I swapped out..Sure was glad I did.

2) I don't see a different boost controller helping any. The one above looks very nice & clean. Also like the way it adjust. I may even add one myself.....but it's not going to change the way it spools. I've used many styles over the years.

3) we need to make sure you do not have an exhaust leak. Try this....
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/general-turbo-buick-tech/312356-exhaust-header-leak-tester.html
I know it's a low mile car but I also know that the driver's side header is still virgin and at some point they ALL Crack. Need to double verify it's not cracked or you have a pre turbo exhaust leak.

4) Also we need to test fuel pressure to see where you are at. You may be a little rich, causing slow spool.

5) I don't know so I'm asking...What kind of timing is in your chip 1st & 2nd gear? Is it an alky chip or a street chip? Does it have as much timing as the stock chip?

6) Where is the alky coming on at, again could be a rich condition?

7) Do you notice a big difference in spool up from the blk car to the gray car? Should be real close, w/ a slight edge to blk car.

8)Even if all tuning is dead nuts on...I still think you would be much happier w/ a little more stall. It will not hurt anyway the car drives, as a matter of fact you'd be doing this :biggrin::eek::biggrin: (You'll never notice a difference, except for spool up) If I can talk you in to stepping up to a little higher stall, nail down the tuning before adding a new convertor. Don't try to fix it by adding parts.

9) I need to drive both cars for a base line. :D

Which car are you planning on driving in March?

Thanks Scott,
It sounds like the converter is the way to go, .....after some more tuning.
The black car actually has the exact same set-up minus alky, so the spool is similar. (original turbo in a box) I just don't want to sacrifice driveability or add a tranny cooler. I would love to let you drive both cars for a baseline. Any ideas how I can get both there? If I can only get one there, it will be black. If it's ok, I'll give you a call to discuss more.
Bob

A 2400 stall 10" will fix it right up. The larger turbo just needs a little extra rpm to get it going as fast as a stocker.

I have this Garrett GT3255A i am dying to try.

That would be another turbo route for you, from what i heard...