Stock '83 T-Type times?

T-Type

TR Enthusiast
Hey guys, this is my first post so bare with me!

I am looking at buying a kinda rough looking '83 T-Type. How much are these worth? What kind of times do they run stock? Are they pretty quick?

Not worth the trouble. I have had two but ended converting one to the below sig. They are classy looking due to the chrome and the right package. The one I have is like a designer's series with the two tone paint and solid roof. In stock form I ran a 15.7 They are kinda cool to look at if they belong to someone else. They are also a nightmare to work on. If your weighing between an 83-87 save your money and get an 86-87. Michael

what makes the 86-87 so much better? What do the newer ones run stock?

EDIT: it's also a white T-Top car...is that rare?

86-87 has a much improved design with an intercooler. the older ones are hot air cars and aren't intercooled.

so they're alot slower? so the 83-85 ones are hot air? how many 86-87 cars did they make in total?

I'm not too familar with the 83 cars but if it were an 84-85 TR I'd say go for it. The 86-87 cars were intercooled and ran low 14/high 13 1/4 times stock. They are the ones to look for if you want to slap around other musclecars since they are quick right out of the box in good tune.

The SFI hot air turbos did not come out till 84, everything before then was carbed. I remember looking at what must have been an 83 T Type leftover in early 84 and on the hood bubble was 4BBL TURBO. Check with the guys in the Before Black section.

I would say that if it ran ok and it looked ok it's probably worth $1500. Once you get in a turbo car you usually want to go faster. That's where the headaches start. You can't find anyone to work on them. Parts are limited. All 83's are rare. If your looking for a classy everday driver they are ok. I think they are rated at 190 horse. They get hot easy.

Hey there with my research I hope I can help you. I finally just sold my '69 LeMans, but before I started the process I decided I wanted another muscle car, but I also wanted, A/C, cruise, fuel injection, overdrive trans--the works. I wanted a real street cruiser that was still fast and decent on gas and this was it. I wanted an 86/87 but I couldnt' afford one. Now there is an 85 for sale near me and I have done research on that. Now to answer your question. 86/87 have a lot better intake manifold design over the hot air cars. Besides that the turbo on the 84/85 is smaller than the stock turbo on the intercooled version. The hot air flows roughly 390 cfm. Besides the bigger turbo and better flow, the intercooler significantly increases power also. The heads and exhaust headers also flow better on the intercooled version. The hot air cars get a nod when it comes to brakes, however. Both are SFI, which is a great step up from carburetion which the 83 T has. I would get at least an 84 or 85. Not sure the turbo size of the 83. Hope that helps!

I should be going to look at it tomorrow. I'll keep you guys posted. Do you think it's worth $2,000?

As a previous owner

They (83) were probly the best looking of the years. I have owned an 87(stollen :mad: ) and now an 86 :biggrin: The turbo is extremely small, the carb was electronic and chips were bad at best! Even the trans and rear were inferior to the later models. the rims were 14"s also. if you are considering the body for a conversion to the 86/7, listen to turboclam3. save your money.
I actually purchased an 86 engine w/16K miles on it in 86 to do the swap myself, then changed my mind when the 87's came out a couple of months later. I eventually traded the body w/Jimmy D for a SS 3" exhaust. :redface:

If it does not need tires, paint, tranny, turbo, a/c work, or even the headliner repaired then $2000 would be ok. I would offer less though. A new carb will run you nearly $500. Turbo rebuilt $450+ install. Tranny rebuild and install $1000. A/c work/repair $300. Does it need carpet or upholstery repair? Oil leaks? Any rust at all I would walk away. I hope you don't think I'm being a hard ass but these cars are a money pit. It really would be better to start with a more desireable car. (86-87)

about five years ago I bought my 79 for 1500 bucks. Never really looked at it and wish I did. DOn't get me wrong the car was great inside and out. ran kick ass too. Only thing was I crawled underneath it and the the floors were getting soft and bondo here and there with a rusted out drivers side frame with the bumper about ready to fall off. If it's NICE and ORIGINAL, everything works, turbo especially I got lucky and picked up a complet with exhaust housing and wastegate for 225 installed.