STi vs the Pos "Monte Carlo"

SRT-4 stock makes about 230whp and somewhere between 240-250ft lbs. Stage 2 brings the power up to about 265whp and 290ft lbs. With race gas and DR's some guys are getting around 12.6-7 runs. Pump gas and street tires 13.1-13.3 are the norm. I think a stage 2 srt-4 would put a car between an STi from a roll but from a dig it'd be fairly even given 2 drivers of equal ability. Here's a dyno of a stage 2 srt-4 vs stage 0 srt-4.http://www.srtforums.com/photopost/data/500/150P1010026-med.JPG

Originally posted by I eat Z06
Thought that the SRT4 made 230 flywheel hp. Or about 220 at the wheels.

Nick

Well, since the 04s dyno close to or at 230 wheel hp, I'd guess they are a *tad* underrated, unless Dodge mastered 0% drivetrain loss.

So basically you're saying an STi has a 30whp advantage but 300 more lbs to move?

You're just digging your hole deeper. I don't know why you even bothered to say a Grand National is faster, a stock STi should take a stock GN...hell, a stock SRT-4 should run close to a stock GN.

Admit it, you are only arguing this because you have a personal bias against the Neon.

sy is right.. Speed tells ya that the only advantage the Sube has is the awd launch. He flubs the launch and the Neon is gone(assumming the Neon don't flub a FWD launch) Chrysler should pin an AWD setup under a Turbo Neon and they would have a neat lil ride..:D

All Subaru has in the 1/4 is the launch. The AWD kills the top speeds. I have heard from alot of people that the neon dosnt hook up worth sh*t. And that is where the Subie takes advantage, then when the lighter 2wd neon gets going it catches up the the STi. These are two cars that have very close 1/4 mile speeds. I thought that the stage II was lower in hp, so this is a drivers race. I would still go STi over neon. I made the GN comment, b/c I was trying to avoid the very common "but my GN, T/A is faster" commments. I do have a personal bias against the neon. Go to the crash test sites and look how well the Impreza (WRX/STi) does against the neon. Kind of scary.

Nick

I agree that the STi and for that matter the Evo are superior cars to the SRT-4 all-around. But as far as power goes there's really not much difference between the 3. SRT-4 does have decent handling and with a few suspension mods can come close to 1g, but the AWD Subie's and Evo's obviously have a large advantage through the turns because of their AWD. Especially in rain/snow/dirt. Although the SRT-4 is tearing it up in Group 5 in the SCCA. Oh and you're right about the crash tests, the SRT isn't the safest car to be in. Fortunately I'm still young and have lightning fast reflexes. I've saved my ass a few times by reacting very quickly.

All Subaru has in the 1/4 is the launch. The AWD kills the top speeds. I have heard from alot of people that the neon dosnt hook up worth sh*t.

A high powered, FWD car having trouble hooking? Thanks, Cap'n Obvious.

And that is where the Subie takes advantage, then when the lighter 2wd neon gets going it catches up the the STi. These are two cars that have very close 1/4 mile speeds.

Well holy ****, you finally admitted it. *pats Nick on the head*

I thought that the stage II was lower in hp, so this is a drivers race. I would still go STi over neon.

Look, I would choose the STi over the Neon too, if cost wasn't a concern. I KNOW THAT THE STi IS FAR MORE CAR THAN THE SRT-4. That was NEVER in debate here. What was in debate was how much faster the STi is than the Neon, and it has become evident that the actual difference in power, stock vs. stock, is negligible.

Go to the crash test sites and look how well the Impreza (WRX/STi) does against the neon. Kind of scary.

I would, but I'm not such a blubbering ***** that I have to resort to crash test results to make me feel like my car is better than an economy car with a hot engine. :rolleyes: I would sure hope that a car that costs more and benefits from WRC R&D would be safer in a crash than a car that was originally designed as a cheap, affordable, compact car.

If I wanted to bring out other aspects I would say. Compare them in braking, tracks w/ turns, all terrain drivability (race on dirt, wet, or snow/ice), since that is what the STi was designed to do, but it holds its own in its weak spots too (i.e. straight 1/4). More aspects include quality of build, re-sale value, comfort, respect, power windows, exhaust note, Momo interior, BBS wheels, Brembo brakes, 6 speed, and a muffler. A stage II neon isnt stock. An STi with $1500 in aftermarket will put it over the 300whp mark. It will also put the car in the 12's w/o slicks or race fuel. SyHopeful: if you would choose the STi over the SRT why are you defending it so much?

Nick

if i had the 25-30 grand for the sti or the neon, i'd just take half of it and make the gn run 8's!!;)

SyHopeful: if you would choose the STi over the SRT why are you defending it so much?
Nick

Because I can admit that for $20,000, the SRT-4 delivers a LOT, and I don't feel threatened by the fact that there is a stock Neon that would give my GN a good run for the money. Unlike some certain people here *cough*YOU*cough*

Im not worried about any stock neon's.

Nick

Good job dodging the point again :rolleyes:

I guess if you ignore the facts, they really do disappear!

On the street the neons are so very hard to launch, I ran one from a roll and it was close, though I was pullin gon him. We ran from a dig and it wasn't even funny, I pulled an easy 6-8 cars on him. Funny thing is that I only trap 99.5 where the SRT-4 traps 101+ Now I pulled him from a roll so go figure.

I can see an SRT-4 stageII beating/matching an STi in the 1/4. Even more so from a roll, though in a street race I would give great favor to the STi (with a good driver). The stock SRT is a huge pain to launch, the stage II has to be crazy.

Yes a NEON can beat the great STi, (fine print in a straight line). Would I ever take an SRT over an STi... duh NO. Two very different cars.

thats like comparing and STi to a GN... just shouldn't be done.

Originally posted by 2000wrx

Yes a NEON can beat the great STi, (fine print in a straight line). Would I ever take an SRT over an STi... duh NO. Two very different cars.

thats like comparing and STi to a GN... just shouldn't be done.

Is that because a STI is 10x the car a GN is?:rolleyes:

Your own words guy.

sorry did I loose you....

Are you saying that the GN is in the same market as the STi??? Would you say that stock to stock the GN is competitive in any performance catagory with the STi.

"Yes a NEON can beat the great STi, (fine print in a straight line). Would I ever take an SRT over an STi... duh NO. Two very different cars.

thats like comparing and STi to a GN... just shouldn't be done."

The point here is that the SRT-4 and GN are NOT cars that should really be compared to the STi. The neon is an ecnomy car with a hot motor (someone on here said that) The GN is a point and shoot car. Both can be made very fast in the 1/4 very easy. Does that make them a superior performance car. IMO NO, the STi is about more than 1320 feet.

I hope I was clear this time....

I think that the numbers can back up that the STi is a better all around car than the GN. (10x was an expression...relax) Does that take anything away from the GN... NO it means the STi is that good. A stock STi would be more in line with GNX performance and would proably best it in most areas.