STi vs the Pos "Monte Carlo"

Lt. Doomsday

Honda Hater #1
i am sitting at home now, just got back from st louis, my brother's friend was giving us a ride, down here because my brother lost his srt-4 keys... lol dont ask, anyway were riding in his white t-type, (it has a few mods, solid high 11 second car) so we get on 141, and pull up to a stop light and this STI pulls up beside us (he has his g/f with him), a young guy, about 19-20 or so, gives us a rev. my bro's friend said "Nice STi how much do those cost now?" the guy replied "More than that pos monte carlo" (the nerv of some people) (the kid revs agian), my friend said "I'll show you what this pos "moonnnte" can do, the guy laughed and pulled off a HUGE rev, (probaly close to the limiter) the guy said "You need to get a better car, that car wont stand a chance agian this baby" He smiled at his g/f and said, watch me eat this bitch, he laughed, they kissed, my bro's friend started to build up boost, he had ET et streets on (he was at the track saturday and hasnt gotten around to changing them) 5psi boost.... he launched and launched hard, the sti launched hard too, it pulled about a car in front of us, due to the AWD, but it was no match for the TR, the turbo hit max boost passed the STi and gaind at least 7 car lengths on it, we stoped at the next light. the guy pulled up and saw the "Slicks" and said "You sob, thats no fair you got the jump! you have slicks on give me slicks and ill show you what i can do!" and my friend replyd, "Well give me AWD, and beside why do you need slicks, when you didnt even CHIRP your tires?" The guy responded "They help me launch better!" then my friend ended the conversation with the "Not bad for a pos v6 monte eh?" the guy was outraged, as his gf was laughing her ass off. my friend drove of, and the ricer did a fly by, i like sti's but most of thier drivers are preppy sh.it...

Good story/kill

slicks make him launch better? I guess when you look like a damn fool you'll think of any excuse.

Whatever it takes to keep his gf thinking he car is still fast! Good story, I like uneducated people in cars with potential (or without potential come to think of it).
The thing with these new AWD turbo cars (STi, Evo8) is that young kids are somehow getting them and then they think they can talk crap. Good thing it's harder than it seems to launch an AWD w/manual.

Its hard to launch an AWD car if you have no skill:) . I repeatedly raped many a honda with my WRX everytime we lined up at a light . Rev to 5200rpm.....slightly slip the clutch, then when you feel it grap, floor the gas and let the clutch all the way out. Those cars are amazing in their overall abilities, but they are a little too slow for my taste (a bigger SR50 turbo and injectors on the STI, and many a Turbo Regal should watch out unless you run below mid 11's.)

I kinda figured it would be fairly foolproof to launch like that. That is where skill comes in. A chimpanzee could launch an AWD car.

try to get anything to hook up at 5500 RPM (front OR rear wheel drive) when the clutch is dumped like that.

Much money and time has been spent trying to get as much power to the ground at the line.

Don't get me wrong, I think the WRX's are a great car and if it wasn't too small I'd probably have one too.

Well, a lot of guys do "dump" the clutch on them. On the stock WRX, good luck keeping that tranny together longer than 20k if you do that repeatedly. I did something very different; its kind of hard to explain, but i made sure it hooked up without slipping, and without just dropping it.

Nice. And you killed him with your V6 pos Monte - too bad you didn't have the V8. ;)

I don't know what is with all the hoopla with the WRX's and STi's. I have never seen a STi run at the track, and have only seen 1 WRX in the 12's. I talked to the guys friend and he said he had about $8000 in it and was hoping for ne 11 second pass before granading it. :confused:

Thats why i sold it:D . The regular WRX's need a LOT of money to go fast. The sti have 500 more cc's of displacement=torque monster. It's pistons are BIGGER than a GN's! Plus, their trannies are MUCH stronger. However, they're about 28 grand to touch stock. I didnt feel like paying nearly 500 a month, especially since I live downtown.

pull up to a stop light and this STI pulls up beside us

thats funny because i was next to one today myself. He did not want anything to do with my 6000 lb work van;)

thank god he didnt stab the throttle so everyone can hear his BOV, i wouldve torn the wing off and beat 'em with it

Good kill. If your runnin 11's he had no chance. Just to add, max torque for the STi is a 4 grand. Most of the owners like to rev 5 +, and all that does is smoke the hell outta the clutch. Or drop the clutch and attack the tranny's insides. Dont know why the guy was bitchen about tires. He must have forgot that they come with race tires from the factory. With all seasons on mine I got a constant 1.7 60 ft. Havnt seen anything better than 1.5 on modified STi's.

Nick

Originally posted by milehighGN
Well, a lot of guys do "dump" the clutch on them. On the stock WRX, good luck keeping that tranny together longer than 20k if you do that repeatedly.

Who cares if its under warranty,go for it;)

Can you say launch off the rev limiter:eek:

I know I could:cool:

Originally posted by broke1
Who cares if its under warranty,go for it;)

Can you say launch off the rev limiter:eek:

I know I could:cool:

Subaru is as tough on warranty claims as the Ford people are with the Lightnings and Cobras.

I dont expect them to replace clutchs or windsheild wipers but hard parts?? Yea,im sure they would.If not id be suing.Ive owned a few Stangs(3 new and 2 used) and have had FoMoCo replace more than 1 tranny under warranty.Then again I had a Honda dealership replace my the engine in my Accord under warranty when I blew it up with a 125 shot.Maybe I just know how to wedge em into the corner.Dunno. :cool:

I heard the same thing. The dealers are getting wise to warranty claims if you abused it.. I know the Ford dealers are..
This is a fact.. A local Ford dealer denied a warranty claim on a Cobra trans after they detected rubber under the rear fenderwells. Im talking a TINY bit.. DENIED>

Originally posted by krom
Subaru is as tough on warranty claims as the Ford people are with the Lightnings and Cobras.

I am suprised a lot of aftermarket parts are even allowed, maybe they are not. I knew a guy who had brand new jeep (back in the '80's) he put shackles on it (some kind of leaf spring things) ang he was denied a brake warranty claim because of them.

Getting a new tranny through SOA (Subaru of America) is a hit or miss deal. My tranny was covered. But I have heard of totally stock WRX's getting denied. Because of user abuse. That is why I went with the STi, the 6 speed is far more superior in strength. A comparason between the 5 and 6 speed, would be like Bill Gates (5spd) vs. Mike Tyson (6spd) and biteing allowed.

Nick

Yeah my bro is comming down this weekend, he said he pulled up to the SAME STI at the SAME stop light in his SRT-4, guy started talking shi t AGIAN about how that "monte carlo" was lucky, (havent we came over this before?), since my bro has his stage two on and his new azenis and opend up his piping, he raced the STI, once agian STI got the jump, soon my bro passed him, not as spectacular as the T-type, but got him by 1 car. the guy, once agian upset, he said what kind of a car is that!? my bro said "Just a neon" lol guy drove off upset once agian as my bro turned on the exit ramp to the interstate.
TR 1 STI 0
SRT4 1 STI 0

STI's are obsol33t :eek: