Steering Wheel Re-Conditioning

Spooling

I would like to get my steering wheel re-wrapped.

It is the dark Blue Steering Wheel for an '87 T

Any advice, recommendations for me, and possible lead times?

Many Thanks !!!

I believe this is the same person:

Sue Serafinski
52220 Hayes Rd.
Macomb, Mi. 48042
(586) 677-2719

...I have had a couple of steering wheels done by her...excellent quality...the color doesn't exactly match that of OEM but I prefer the texture...OEM wheels were kind if slick...these have a bit of texture so your hand doesn't slip off

Is yours cracked and losing it's color? I did my own repair instead of forking over that much cash.
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1375315634.394520.jpg

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I believe this is the same person:

Sue Serafinski
52220 Hayes Rd.
Macomb, Mi. 48042
(586) 677-2719

...I have had a couple of steering wheels done by her...excellent quality...the color doesn't exactly match that of OEM but I prefer the texture...OEM wheels were kind if slick...these have a bit of texture so your hand doesn't slip off

Scott, does the re-wrap include cleaning/ clear coating the exposed steel parts?
I have 2 T wheels that I want to get done, and need to know if I need to do the cleaning/clear coating, B4 I send them.

I honestly can say that my steering wheel looks and feels like a brand new wheel. The total cost was $30. Try it before you go out and buy a new wheel or send yours off to be rewrapped. It is extremely easy. My neighbor thought I had bought a new wheel and I had to prove to him with the color match paint and my wife had to tell him I did it myself too.

I honestly can say that my steering wheel looks and feels like a brand new wheel. The total cost was $30. Try it before you go out and buy a new wheel or send yours off to be rewrapped. It is extremely easy. My neighbor thought I had bought a new wheel and I had to prove to him with the color match paint and my wife had to tell him I did it myself too.

What's the procedure for repairing it yourself?

If you have cracks and nicks you can fill them in with some good super glue. I used locktite 414. Once all the cracks and nicks were filled in I sanded the super glue and leather smooth (don't remember the grit but it was a fine grit). Once it was smooth all the way around I took a piece of the dash that I wanted to match it to and they matched it with ppg paint at Napa. They have a spray painting system where you add the paint and it comes with the propellant can and a jar for the paint to be sucked from on the bottom. I know what you are thinking! No you can't feel where the super glue is. The view through the windshield on the top of the wheel is where mine was cracked really bad. Can you tell?

I can't take credit for this procedure. I found it in the "how to" section. I have always believed in doing it right the first time and thought this would only last a short time. I did this during this past winter and it still looks like the day I did it.

If you have cracks and nicks you can fill them in with some good super glue. I used locktite 414. Once all the cracks and nicks were filled in I sanded the super glue and leather smooth (don't remember the grit but it was a fine grit). One it was smooth all the way around I took a piece of the dash that I wanted to match it to and they matched it with ppg paint at Napa. They have a spray painting system where you add the paint and it comes with the propellant can and a jar for the paint to be sucked from on the bottom.

Thanks

If you have cracks and nicks you can fill them in with some good super glue. I used locktite 414.
--------------------------
I have some cracks and a couple of "chunks" missing. You mean to tell us that you were successful at filling imperfections with that 414 stuff and you were able to "build" recessed areas with Locktite 414?

Interesting concept that you restored your wheel yourself. I commend you for your ingenuity !!!!

Scott, does the re-wrap include cleaning/ clear coating the exposed steel parts?
I have 2 T wheels that I want to get done, and need to know if I need to do the cleaning/clear coating, B4 I send them.

Chuck, they will clean the spokes but not clear coat them as part of the process. And yes, Sue Serafinski (and her husband) are the same people behind the eBay ad.

I guess they are really not "chunks" so to say, just imperfections.

See attached pics, namely at the very top of the steering wheel (12:00 position) - probably where the sun beat-the-snotts out of it for years.

Attachments

• Buick_Dash.jpg
    Buick_Dash.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 144
  • P1010016.jpg
    P1010016.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 135
The wheel that he did himself does look good...and I'm not knocking it but how long will it last since it's painted...also the leather is still 25+ years old...a re-wrapped wheel is brand new leather...IMO I would rather
pay the money for a rewrap than take the chance I may have to repair it on a regular basis...but then again my
GN only has 42K miles...on a daily driver with lots of miles I would probably go the cheap route.

Chuck...I believe she cleans up the metal spokes prior to re-wrapping...as far as clear coating...I don't think so but may be wrong...have to call and ask...