Steering shaft upgrade using DSE shaft

jpratt

I have been hating driving my car lately because of the slop in the steering. Sometimes I felt like I was on the verge of losing control. I know the stag joint was a little loose and the steering box had a little also. I thought about using the popular Jeep shaft but was much more impressed with the DSE upgrade. It is not cheap but man is it a nice piece. It is a little heavier than stock but a lot more compact. I have not got if fully installed yet because I cannot find any lock tight this late at night.
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick1375240580.155673.jpg

ImageUploadedByTurboBuick1375240600.508319.jpg

ImageUploadedByTurboBuick1375240613.790370.jpg

Here they are side by side
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick1375240629.602428.jpg

ImageUploadedByTurboBuick1375240653.597175.jpg

ImageUploadedByTurboBuick1375240667.660285.jpg

ImageUploadedByTurboBuick1375240681.441831.jpg

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Getting the old unit out is hard but installed the new joint to the upper shaft was a nightmare. I had to get out a little Drexel and smooth out the shaft to get the upper u joint on. There was so much corrosion that had to be cleaned off. Before installation a 3/8 hold has to be drilled into the new shaft which I think should come pre drilled. The rest if the install was pretty smooth. You can see that the box is new and not hooked up yet either.

I have the same DSE shaft, worked great and made a big difference. Also they will custom spline it for you, I used a different steering box than stock and they included the correct joints.

Only thing I am a little worried right now is at the gear box the u joint there is only held by the splines and a single set screw. Stock there is a slide bolt the locks down.

A friend told me to do the same but I was not sure about it.

I installed the steering shaft and tightened that set screw then removed the shaft and that set screw made a mark where it was so I took a drill bit and counter sunk it (dimpled) and then installed everything back and now the set screw has a small "pocket' it sits in plus I used a small dab of blue lock tight and it has not moved ever since.

I am going to use the dimple method.

There was no part number directly located on the shaft, it might be a DSE manufactured part.