Steering column lower bearing replacement?

Toady

Hello All,

My lower column bearing seems to be shot. Steering column is wiggling in all directions, right where it attaches to the intermediate shaft. Here's a pic found on a 'Vette site.

Is this part readily available? I couldn't find it at the usual spots (rockauto/AZ/NAPA/O'Reilly). Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• Lower_Bearing.JPG
    Lower_Bearing.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 210
Gulls, I haven't ruled it out, and I see where my wording in the 1st post could cause confusion, but I don't have a loose wheel or tilt, just that lower part of the column.

Here's why I think it's that lower bearing. I was looking at this with mikestertwo, and he had 2 other columns in his shop. One of them was loose like mine, and the other was pretty tight. He pulled the bearing assembly out and it looked to be in much better shape than mine. I think that column was from a low-mile car, and mine has 180k. That's when I started googling for info about lower column bearing problems.

I've since found some part numbers, too.
7805822 bearing adapter
7805700 bearing
7804440 retainer
7804439 retainer ring/clip

It should be a really easy R&R. If that doesn't fix it, I'll look into the 4 torx procedure. :eek:

Every one that ive seen it has been the torx screws its common on gms and also on 80s chryslers

OK. Hopefully it is the easy one. If you have to do the torx screws, it isn't quite as bad as it looks. The procedure is written well. I just did it last month and that was the first time I have ever removed a steering wheel. Feel free to PM me if you need any help.

Every one that ive seen it has been the torx screws its common on gms and also on 80s chryslers
I'm really hoping it isn't...

OK. Hopefully it is the easy one. If you have to do the torx screws, it isn't quite as bad as it looks. The procedure is written well. I just did it last month and that was the first time I have ever removed a steering wheel. Feel free to PM me if you need any help.
Gulls, thanks for the offer. :cool:

John, that's some pretty transparent advice right there. :D