STEERING PART OPTIONS

Dennis Kirban

I am still researching the various options for the parts that connect from the man steering shaft to the actual gear box.

The cheapest replacement part is the factory steering coupler better known to many as the rag joint. We now have these available with directions. This is a fairly new reproduction and basically fits all GM cars from 1977 thru around 1995. You do have to remove your lower steering shaft as you have to grind off the two drive pins to install this new rag joint to the main flange that is pressed on your lower steering shaft. Our part number is #7569 with a price of just $36.95. We have a few now in stock and another order in route to us.

That is one possible option. The next obvious option is a reproduction of the entire lower steering shaft complete with the plastic cover that surrounds the lower steering coupler etc. My research has found two suppliers of this item. We have one of these in route to us to examine. We project the price of this to be around $139.95. The other version of this retails for around $179.95. The GM one is long gone from the GM system.

Next, at the base of your main steering column is a small bushing or bearing. We have just done all the research for this critical part. This part fits every GM car from 1969 thru around the mid 1990s. In our cars I have determined GM did not use a metal ball bearing but simply a rubber slip over grommet on both sides of a plastic adaptor. We will be offering the upgrade metal ball bearing already pressed into the plastic adaptor complete with the metal retainer and spring ring that snaps over the retainer and secures it to the base of your steering column.

The timing of securing this part is perfect because in order to install this bearing in the base of your steering column you have to remove your lower steering shaft so it would pay to purchase this at the same time you make a decision as to what to do for upgrading your lower steering shaft. This new bearing kit (4 pieces) is not yet in our parts system but has a price of $37.95. The part number is #7572. We have already sold several to one major Corvette supplier as it fits all the 1969 thru 1982 Corvettes.

The other upgrade that some of you are seeking is of course the replacing the lower steering shaft with the one from a Jeep or another vehicle that eliminates the fiber like rag joint with metal joints at both ends.
I thought I had located a reasonable source for new lower steering shafts based on what vintage I thought was correct. The internet is a great source however as you know form various threads and posting when it comes to whispering down the lane mistakes can be made. I now have ordered another lower steering shaft with the hopes it is correct. Watch for update on this possibly by the beginning of March.

I am also working with a supplier for refurbished upgraded lower steering shafts. What you may not realize is several versions work and not only are they from Jeeps. The key is finding them cheap enough and in quantity to ship them to this source to refurbish them. While cheaper options exist I only want to deal with ones that have been refurbished and are complete and have directions. Reason is one version needs to be clocked 90 degrees ahead of time other wise your steering wheel is off. Jeep ones have some sort of bushing that should be removed and cleaned as it can hold moisture.

Again my knowledge in this area is slim at best. Here is my guess estimate on pricing on upgraded lower steering shafts with the metal joints at both ends. I anticipate refurbished ones to sell for $99.95 plus shipping. If I get "lucky" with figuring out the correct one for the new upgraded lower steering shaft I should be able to sell it for $119.95. Again this would be brand new.

Either version I feel would be superior to gambling on a $60 or $70 unit from a source you may not know personally.

Again if everything lines up right we should have all these options available by mid March. I know we wil have them on display at our April 12th Open House.

The other advantage with the Jeep style lower shaft is it give you more room under the hood and the metal style joints far outlast the fiber like coupler GM used. Same principle applies to the lower bearing that we will have for the main steering column. A metal bearing is far superior in the long run over the rubber grommets GM used on the G body Regals.

While my skills may be lacking mechanical I do have the skills to research and was bale to talk to several sources to figure all this out.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

In quick review:

Replacement rag joint is part # #7569 for $36.95

Upgraded steering column lower ball bearing bushing kit (4 pieces) part number #7572 for $37.95. For those that like to do some research the GM part number for the ball bearing is #7805700. That bearing is being sold by itself by Corvette companies in most cases for more than we sell the entire kit for!. It makes no sense to sell just the bearing because you are going to break the plastic adapter it seats in when you remove your old one.

Currently we only have the above two items worked out and available.

(

Glad to see you doing all the research to offer GREAT upgrades at a GREAT price.Not everyone takes the time to know what they are selling is 100% right.Thanks Dennis

See my other post also in this section. I now have available several refurbished what I call upgraded lower steering shafts. Similar to the Jeep but these I feelor better. First, it is a GM part from a 8 to 10 year newer GM vehicle over the Jeep shaft. Also unlike the used Jeep shafts these do not have a joint in the center which can retain moisture. Another advantage is these shafts in the original GM vehicles from new are encased in a rubber boot so they are basically corrosion free before my source does the modification that is needed and paints them.

Also and I believe this is important is it is a collapsible shaft meaning in case of a front end collision this shaft will slide into the one section by several inches. I am not sure if any of the various aftermarket lower steering shafts have this feature or not.

Again this has the metal joints at both ends. It is a GM part it saves weight, it eliminates the flexible rag joint in our cars, and it has been refurbished to look like new. Also it is 8-10 years newer than the comparable Jeep shaft.

I am able to readjust my price structure slightly as I was able to strike a better deal plus I was able to get several of them this past weekend before the next blast of winter hits this area.

The price is $89.95 and $10.00 shipping via paypal price covers all the basic 48 states. So $99.95 to your door. Each one comes with fully detailed directions with photos only one small modification needs to be done to your main steering shaft. A small notch has to be made so the clinch bolt for the upper joint will slide through the hole unobstructed. This is no different than the installation required on the various Jeep shafts.

Some aftermarket ones require other modifications to make them work and generally run a few more bucks.

It would be adviseable to also buy at the same time the upgraded bearing bushing for the base of your main steering column to replace the set up in the G body cars which consisted of two rubber seals on a plastic adapter. This is on our website under part number #7572. It sells for $37.95. To install this metal ball bearing kit requires the removal of your lower steering shaft so that is why I suggested purchasing this at the same time. This bearing can be installed without removing your main steering column.

I have these used GM refurbished lower steering shafts in stock currently and I have about 8-10 more getting refurbished. Paypal is the preferred method of payment.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

I suggest your email me personally with your requests or any questions.