starts in 2nd and i lost 3rd gear. Any suggestions?

JDSfastGN

Well I installed my tranny today and after running around and putting about 6 miles on it or so, it started acting a little weird, it starts off in second almost everytime unless I drop it into manual low, and my 2-3 was awesome and then all of a sudden I have no 2-3 shift any more, it just revs and downshiftsback to second. Its late and I don't have a lot of info like line pressure as of right now. The tranny shifted fine before it twisted an input shaft and OD clutch unit before the current rebuld. Other than the hard parts to replace those, the only other change was from a superservo to a 3sp 200 servo. Does this sound like the band is clearenced too tight, there was no way to shim the servo but it seemed pretty close. Or is this another problem , or do I have multiple problems that came up at the same time? It shifted great for about 5 miles or so, really firm and can chirp 2nd and third at part throttle. 3rd was there and then all of a sudden it was gone. Also reverse does not have a clunk like most do, it just kinda goes into reverse. But drive jolts pretty good. Here is a little info on the tranny, it has an Art carr shift kit, 200 3spd servo, a PTS pump and every billet internal piece available as of now, alto band, and a 2800 stall 12" lu convertor. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.:)

Ok well I dropped the pan and found nothing special, there is a tiny bit of debree, but mostly from the bolt hole we had to drill and tap. The only thing that seemed weird was when I pulled the servo, it does not have any pressure to pop out of the hole, usually on the other servos I've used, the servo was hard to get in there and had to be forced pretty good, and once you release the clamp, it usually pops out, well this one just sits in there and does not take any force at all to stick in there. I stuck a servo pin in the hole just to make sure it was applying the band and it was. I am going to put a stock GN servo back in there and see where that gets me, but if anybody has any other ideas at all. I took it out last night just down the street and when I first put it in gear it started in first but did not want to shift out of 1st until very high rpms(backing off on TV cable did nothing at all, after it did go into second thats where it started off in and stayed, like i said there is no 2-3 shift at all. There is almost no clutch material and the fluid smells fresh. It was perfect and then began to start in second gear, then very soon after I realized there was no 2-3 shift. The manual says Servo system problem but if anybody else has any opinions I'm pretty open .:D

2nd gear start

Too much preload on the TV spring caused my 200-4r to have 2nd gear starts. chris 718's post to the topic "valve body experts please read" on Jan.17, 03 and www.tvmadeez.com's TV System 101 were a great help in solving the problem. :) Mine
didn't have any problems with 3rd gear.

Well I dropped the valve body and there was a check ball in the wrong spot, so that couldn't have been helping, i put it back together and am now having linkage probs and am working it out as we speak, if these fix it ill update tommorow, thanks for the link man. I did get to drive it with the linkage all screwed up and it did start in 1st every time since I fixed the check ball.

It turned out to be the D3 (i guess it means drive 3)checkball, working late and being rushed are not a good combination ;)

JD, you found out the hard way about one of the two main rules of a 200 4 R, patience and cleanliness. Hope it all works good for you know. Mark :D