Starter/Wiring issues

daviss

After over a year, I've finally got the motor back in my car and everything hooked up, installed, and plugged in. After double and triple checking everything I could think of I went to crank it over with the ECM unplugged to verify oil pressure and I'm getting nothing but clicks and even a little smoke from the battery. The battery is fully charged and I have interior lights and chimes, headlights, radio, etc. I cannot hear the fuel pump priming.

I have double checked grounds including battery ground to ps head

I have a wire from the battery pos. to starter and alternator(seperate wires), wires from the loom behind ps head w/large ring connector to large terminal on starter and the small ring connector to the small terminal on the starter.

What am I forgetting and where should I start to figure this out. I've read 10 pages of searches and checked everything that fit my situation.

I really want to drive my car before the snow comes back next week

Any input greatly appreciated
Steve

The clue to your problem is the smoke at the battery. Remove and reinstall your cable connections.

Double check the power and ground wires first.

Does the motor have a new flywheel?

Power and grounds double and triple checked as far as the battery and starter are concerned. I removed and reinstalled both pos and neg cables @ the battery and the only change is the fan kicked on for a second when I put the neg back on. I'll check the rest when I get another minute to go outside.

I reused my old flywheel. Where are you going with this?

Steve, make sure your cables at the starter are not touching the heat sheild. Also I would remove the starter and check it on the bench, hope you have a mini starter because it sucks removing a full size starter just to check it.

Also, you suck for getting your car done before me!! :biggrin:
I am working on mine now if you want to help :biggrin::biggrin:
Call me if you need anything, I have the old starter from my car if you need to borrow it, I just put in a mini yesterday.

Bryan

Bryan, heat shield's not the problem considering you just reminded me that I need to put it on still.

I wouldn't be too sure mine will be running before yours. If I keep running into stupid issues like this I'm gonna push it into the Cuivre River.

If it were a normal Sunday, I would come help in a heartbeat, but it's my Wife's B-day and she's pretty sure it's a National Holiday or a Catholic Holy Day so I better not. If I don't get this figured out on my own in a day or two, I might need you to come out and put some fresh eyes on it.

BTW- I still have that AC comp if you need it

I completely understand Steve. My wife's National Holiday is this Friday :biggrin:
If you need me give me a buzz. I am getting the fuel lines connected and will be deciphering the engine harness today. Hope I can remember where it all goes, it's been just over 2 years since I pulled the motor! It is getting close. I have to get it running in the next 2 weeks as I am going to the Nationals in NC on the 15th of next month to get some tuning done and hopefully race it.

Bryan

The harness looks a lot worse than it is. But then again I'm the one asking for wiring advice.

If your using the same one, forget the flywheel thing.

Is the linkage to the column hooked up? The neutral safety switch may be holding you up. Grab the column close to the dash and turn it counter clockwise till it stops.

HTH

I pulled apart the loom that goes to the starter and found a wire pulling out of a splice. Not sure if that is the problem yet. I cut the splice and figured while I had it apart I would replace the ring terminal and add an inch or two to the wire to prevent pulling it apart again. I'll get to the store tonight and get it all back together. I'll post up what I find.

Thanks Bryan for the starter and all the help. I hope that compressor didn't spilll oil all over your van on the way home.

All fixed up. I decided to take the battery into town with me when I went to get the ring terminal and it tested BAD. I had forgotten that I swapped batteries when I tore the car apart and the one I was trying to use was over 7 years old. Thanks for all the suggestions. Sorry to waste everyones time

Steve