Starter Question

Just a quick question on trouble shooting a no start. I can see the post for activating the starter solenoid with out taking the starter off. Is there another location I can stick the test light to see if the solenoid is getting juice?

TIA ,

Ryan

What are the symptoms of the no start condition?

Check the main power feed and the main ground wires off the battery first.

If there is no click and no dimming or power draw from the battery with the IGN switch and key it could be the purple wire to the solenoid should be +12 while cranking.

Interrupted of course by the IGN switch and the factory alarm system and relay.

Purple fat wire in the harness under the power master system.

Or at the solenoid itself.

Troubleshooting depends on the symptoms.

The battery connections are good. There doesn't appear to be any power draw when I turn the key. Some times when I turn the key I'll hear a click, but most of the time nothing happens. How ever, every time I turn the key the brake and water temp lights come on in addition to the other lights.

You mentioned a purple wire. Does this wire go to the relay closest to the fire wall?

Thanks for your help,

Ryan

the small wire that is attached to the starter is the solenoid
activation wire. put the positive side of your volt meter there
and the other end to a good ground. have someone turn and
hold the key. you should get batery voltage at that terminal.
if you don't you have a wiring problem. if you do get voltage
there and the car won't turn over then you have a starter
problem.

The problem is I can't see that wire. I was hoping there was some place else I could access that wire besides at the starter.

Ryan

get under the car, reach up and stick your hand on the starter

if you can see the positive battery cable, follow it with your hand and when it stops, feel for another post.. the other small post has that wire on it, it is no more than 2" away from the positive battery cable hookup, so, you *should* be able to find it..

and if there is no wire on that post then maybe youve found your problem ;)

Usually there is a Y in the main harness under the powermaster brakes that you can see the solid purple IGN switch solenoid trigger wire there.

Put a pin in it and put the test leads on it to see if you get 12 volts on it when you turn the key on.

Otherwise get under the car and clip the leads onto the purple wire at the solenoid.

If you get 12 volts the solenoid is bad.

Easiest thing to do is prolly replace the whole thing with a rebuilt or light weight kit.

Purple wire comes out of C100 connector under the wiper motor area. It is in the main harness there.