Started my install today...

Gordy made the waveguide covers today, my beast is nearly complete... allz I need now is to RTA it!!!

36885_1472995103156_1182005218_1298936_930904_n.jpg

36355_1473008543492_1182005218_1298982_7705439_n.jpg

Amazing work, great products and I love seeing old names pop up from IASCA yester-year. As a guy who has used HLCDs for 20 years (USDs and IDs) and have found myths and miracles in their tuning, have you tried anything to raise the stage even more? Like foam in the mouth, or rolled edges on the top (some people cut 1" pvc and attach it. I'd make the grille 1" thick and just roll over rout the top edge personally so it didnt look like a$$)
Props and keep the pics coming. As an old competitor, builder and w/ a buddy as 3 year running IASCA ultimate unlimited champion so I LOVE to see SQ cars and what goes into one.

Staging is remarkably high, not sure how that happened, but I'm not going to complain. I'm having a hard time setting the gains, and really dont want to mess w/it anymore before building my $100 RTA.

How to make your RTA with $100 dlls. - DIYMA.com

HLCD's are always a little hard to get set up in my opinion, equalization and volume consistency at different levels due to their efficiency can be a little challenging. When you get it right though, it can be soooo right!

I agree, they sound different at different volumes.. but when they are on, man.. wow... there's nothing like them.

I was listening to Eric Johnson the other night at 80 with the T-tops off, and it sounded like his Marshall was on the hood of the car. I love the live performance sound. I've always dug horns... and since hearing Clark's car twice, I knew it would only be a matter of time.

I have debated for years whether I'd make my GN a SQ car or just a windows down rockin roll cruiser. I have enough gear to do either, but even in a traditional format I know I can make it sound great....but like you said to hear horns tuned w/ a nice midbass is a thing of beauty.

Nice work. Can't say that I was ever one of the horn fans. Give me a nice soft dome and I'm happy. Though, I did hear some pretty amazing systems with horns in them. I'm like Greg, an old time competitor and builder who has friends in the industry. Funny thing is I'm competing again in the USACi SQ comps with my truck. I have to get the GN running again before tackling the system. And once again, like Greg, I have enough equipment to build whatever type system I want in the GN.:rolleyes::tongue::cool:
John

All of the SQ cars I have been involved in, and owned, have been windows down rocking cruisers. This one sounds good at 75 with the tops off.

All of the SQ cars I have been involved in, and owned, have been windows down rocking cruisers. This one sounds good at 75 with the tops off.

Yeah, I just hate to abuse Friday night cruisin what I need to work perfectly Sat a.m. in the lanes. I also am stone deaf because of one of my old "cruisin" cars (eight 12"s in a civic coupe w/ 4400 watts) so I dont hear distortion as early as I once could.

Yeah, I know an SPL champ that has problems hearing now and he's only 31.
I have tinnitus, but it's from shooting and playing guitar more than car audio.

I got lucky and moved from high SPL systems to SQ systems after only a couple of years. It also helps that I didn't pound on those big systems all the time. The biggest sub I've had for the past 10+ years has been a single 12". I do have some high frequency loss (above ~17k), but I atribuite that to age. I don't pound on my systems now since I usally have my kids with me.:tongue:
John

Its funny how people actually do not believe this.Rear speakers are only for ambiance,not for balance or volume.If I do a high end car and it ends up needing rear fill,It usually never plays about 500hz,is at a low volume and delayed.You know your stuff lol

fair enough, why? I'll tell you why.... It's because you only have two ears. and those ears are about 6" apart, which is roughly the wavelength of a 500hz sound wave. Nothing above 500hz should ever come from behind your sound-stage, except for a car with a dvd-audio 5.1 system that was calibrated for the car, including the reflective surfaces... Which is next to impossible, which is why the concept is dead. My tl type-s had it, and it was only ok at best.

Go to a rock concert, and ask yourself where the rear "sound" is comming from there... It's the reflection. You can time-allign (delay) the source, but the reflection will always give away it's position... A problem that increases logarithmically with volume.

Now, also go back to the time when you or a buddy had a really kick-ass pair of reference loudspeakers, like some klipschorns, von schwikerts, ads, or some vintage kef's... And tell me how many speakers they had; my guess is two!

In large suv's, i'll put a separate set of components in the rear doors, and angle the tweeters up and towards the center of the roof for the back seat passengers, but in this car, rear sound seems to be a detractor.

Go listen to a world-class iasca/usac competitor, and look at the speaker diagram, unless they are running 5.1 dvd audio, you can probably bet they are setting their main sound-stage and image from a pair of components, or horns, and in some rare cases, a center channel...which is not needed in my car.

Your opinion of needing "sound" coming from the back is probably the result of a poor - or more likely non existence - sound-stage w/no proper image for left and right stereo separation.

If we had 4 ears, i'd be putting tweeters in the rear and running some signal processing. But we dont so my goal is to make it sound like eric johnson's marshal plexi is about 20 feet in front of the car, a little to the left with bass on the right of the stage, and the drums in the middle.

I got lucky and moved from high SPL systems to SQ systems after only a couple of years. It also helps that I didn't pound on those big systems all the time. The biggest sub I've had for the past 10+ years has been a single 12". I do have some high frequency loss (above ~17k), but I atribuite that to age. I don't pound on my systems now since I usally have my kids with me.:tongue:
John

I've got tinnitus, but mostly from shooting so many guns with recoil compensators and shooting silencers w/out hearing protection.

One of the best sounding cars I ever did was a custom enclosure w/a solobaric 10, my customer won SEVERAL shows with that car.

The G-body is particularly troublesome to get bass from the trunk into the cabin. If I had the time I would design a bandpass and port it through where the 4x10 cut-outs are.. but this little light and small Polk C4 is stellar.