Stall TC and TA49

Twil

Welcome to the DarkSide
I have a TA49 and a 17 row IC. I will be installing next weekend. Do I need a stall TC (2800rpm) or will my stock TC be ok? I really like the way the car drives on the street now (stock turbo, IC, and TC). I have never run an automatic trans, so I don't know how a stall will feel on the street. (LT1 Z28 - 6spd and '69 Camaro w/4 spd - other street cars)

I do have a Modern Muscle Car 2800 Stall (red stripe I think) in the garage for a GN. New - never installed.

Any info comparing TA49 with and w/o a stall would be helpful.

Thanks,
Brandon

A TA49 on a good running stock motor (no exhaust leaks, cracked header and not too rich) will spool at 2300 RPM. Low enough to work fine with a stock D5 Torque converter.

as long as you have the Red Stripe, use it.....a stock D5 will work fine, but the red stripe will allow you to build more boost at launch and is transparent on the street

The stock converter will do...but if you did put in that red strip, it would really wake that car up on the lower end. I run that converter with a te-44 and the car has instant spool up on a role or stop. Its a great street car combo.

Shoebox

Yup.... like the guys said, either will do. I ran a TA49 with my V4 and it spooled super quick with the stock D5. I would keep the stocker in there for now and see how you like it. You may be able to tune your setup enough that you won't want to bother with the Red stripe.

You don't need a stall convertor with a TA49/TE-44 for it to spool ultra fast. TE-51 or larger the stall requirement starts coming into play. The stock D5 can take a beating.