SSTHDP magnetic or No?

elevensecgn

I bought a used THDP that was painted, thinking it was a SS pipe with VHT high temp paint on it.
I just tried a magnet on it and it sticks to it. I know some grades of SS are a little magnetic like the stock headers. Is a SS THDP magnetic? I tried the magnet on a 3" pc of SS tubing I have and it didnt stick, but does stick real good to the tubing of the DP. Did I get a mild steel THDP??

Thanks,

Dwight Hayden

Sounds like you got the mild steel version as I believe the stainless version is made of 304 stainless steel, which a magnet shouldn't stick to.

Thanks for the quick reply, I got it from a freind who thought it was SS. Now not sure, I'm sure he'll take it back no problem.

I think the standard version is aluminized pipe which I think would be magnetic? Is it pretty heavy or not really? Stainless is pretty heavy:(

Yes it's fairly heavy and no signs of rust anywhere, but the magnet thing is kinda what bothers me.
Thanks

SS Magnetic???

As stated above, 304 stainless is not magnetic at all. The aluminized carbon steel would be magnetic. Hope this helps.

Originally posted by Steve Wood
Magnet will not stick to mine.

Thats what I was looking for, I just didn't have another DP that was SS to make the comparison. Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

Dwight Hayden

UNGN got it...I applied magnetic technology to my TH to determine if a magnet would stick to it or not. :D