spliced in RC fan to factory harness, am i doomed?

ll3lue

i got my RC fan today and i really needed a fan because my factory fan was pretty shot..and since this is a daily driver i really needed this thing to work..i found that hte factory ground was melted an crap so i took a 10gauge wire an grounded it to the fender wall, and spliced the two power wires on the RC fan together and use the factory harness...

basically am i doomed since i didn't use that 70 or 80 dollar kit?

You are not doomed but.....
IMO I would have the fan power lead go to a relay and have the factory harness trigger the relay. Supply power to the relay with a fuse 10 ga wire coming from either the battery or from the alternator.
If you have two fans the amp draw (imo again) is too much for the factory wires. Just like the fuel pump wires are too small.
I actually use two relays, one for each fan, beacuse of the over 30 amps on start up for the two fans. Best of memory a single fan pulls like 22-26 amps on start and drops to 15-20 amp range.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Gary

Black Car said:
You are not doomed but.....
IMO I would have the fan power lead go to a relay and have the factory harness trigger the relay. Supply power to the relay with a fuse 10 ga wire coming from either the battery or from the alternator.
If you have two fans the amp draw (imo again) is too much for the factory wires. Just like the fuel pump wires are too small.
I actually use two relays, one for each fan, beacuse of the over 30 amps on start up for the two fans. Best of memory a single fan pulls like 22-26 amps on start and drops to 15-20 amp range.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Gary

where can i buy some relays? and more importantly what does a relay do? and why have one? and how much are they?

Just get the Racetronix kit, Everything is included and you don't have to worry about melting wires in time.

NORBS is correct. Racetronix Kit is a very good kit. It is the one that I would buy except I have been doing my own wiring kits since 1988 on my Buicks.

Relays are avavilable at parts stores, electronic and Junk (Radio) Shack.

Gary