Spitting, Sputtering, Shacking, NO BOOST

1QUICK85

Big Old Turbo Turd!!
I have dealt with problems for the last year since I put on my V2 intake/intercooler/ta-49-40# injectors/up + downpipe...basically everything in my sig.....on my car. I have changed headgasket (they were blown...leaking through exhaust)and was still only getting 9# of boost with sputtering and hesitation. I later found that new white smoke(broke1 you were right on the money)was coming from my turbo......turbo drain line had a kink in it and oil was not leaving the turbo fast enough and pushing through the seals, turbo shot now?? But, put a new line on and reclocked the turbo a little better and no smoke at all. This is were I am now...........

No smoking problems what so ever now!!!:D
Car drives around town without a problem.....once you get into it she run good til about 6# of boost and then spits, sputters, and the car just shakes terribly bad and wont accelerate......so I pull off the throttle. NO KNOCK on knock gauge at all.
Fuel pressure is at 43# line off.....fuel pressure rises with boost.
Idles fine and accelerates at part throttle fine.....no boost or hardly any.
MAF is good..........or the refurbished one from NAPA is #### too.
Cant hear any exhaust leaks or see.
MSD wires.......hardly any miles on them......had to use one of my old one because one of the MSD wire boots pulled off on me...:mad:
Turbotweak.com chip custom burnt for my setup.
Oh ya turbo spins fine no shaft movement at all.....very tight.

Trying to get my T-link fixed as soon as I can.........keeps glitching on me.......will read fine then jump to number that dont make any sense what so ever.......like I will be driving at 25mph and then it tells me I am at 65mph.....and all the numbers are inaccurate. Once I figure out what is wrong with that I will get ya guys some numbers.

I am going to look over things tommorrow and try taking a look at my plugs first!!

Thanks for any input or advice guys....I know I have gotten closer just missing something........no smoke...put a smile on my face yesterday......so happy to see some progress!!!!!!Miss my car:(

MAF Sensor???

I had a similar problem and it was my MAF sensor... I would drive around fine...get into it a little and blah..choke...sputter... I changed my MAF and i was golden.:D

Hmmmmmm. I got a new one from NAPA......will have to look which one is on my car old or new....as a friend borrowed one. Think I gave him the old one though. Could be that the new MAF is bad too?

Also my car throws a code.........for the MAP sensor. But, my car does not have a MAP sensor. Talk to Eric at turbotweak and he said it wont affect nothing. Its just that the computer is calling for the MAP sensor readings. What does the MAP sensor do? Or would it affect anything?

TIA, Nick

The MAP sensor with a stock computer doesn't do anything but run the factory boost gauge. Sounds like coil pack/module or cam sensor out of time to me....HTH

Napa MAF

I would assume that you either got the Cardone or Echlin???... MAF sensor?? I have heard alot of problems with guys buying these and trying 3-5 at least before getting one that works!!!! If you could try a know good MAF sensor that would help.... and like STP said it could be coil/cam sensor too... I would try the cheapest thing first or borrow known good parts.

Matt

I believe it is a Ramain........spelling? I read earlier tonight in a search that these sometimes dont always work too. Will be hard to find one around here.....I need a hot air maf. Nick

I had the same type of problem many years ago, and it was the coil pack. Might check there.

I readjusted my MAF pipe as I was reading any leaks can cause problems........I had a small gap were the MAF pipe hooked up to the turbo. Took the silocone connector off and no gap..........and car would scoot right up to 10# of boost and then starts spitting and sputtering and fell on it face. I tried un pluging the maf and that cause rough idle so I think my new MAF from NAPA is working good. Since the engine is spitting and sputtering does that causes the engine to quit building anymore boost.......right? Just want to rule out anyting else beside fuel or ignition??
Also, just got done at NAPA having them test my coil.........could not do my module as it is the rear hot air one. The coil tested out fine on the ohm meter..12.XXX for all of them on top and below was high 8's and low 9's....but does that really mean it is a "good" unit. And the module could still be messed up and I have no way of telling. Then two of my screws just snapped off when I took the coil off the module(on the side were the upper radiator hose sits)...:mad
Still need to pull my spark plug today yet. Later Nick

My car was doing a simular thing and I seperated the coil and module and this is what I found
http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~strebs/coil/

After fixing that my problem came back, but then I started the car and unpluged the cam sensor and took the car for a test drive and it pulled strong all the way to 15 psi. So then I readjusted the cam sensor, and all has been good sine then.

I took my coil pack/module apart today and it did look just fine inside. Tested out good too according to ohm numbers. I also changed my driver side spark plugs today......all three of them were cracked on the white part of the plug. They were all covered in black sutt. I dont think that was my problem but worth doing none the less. I am trying to get a used 85 coil and module off the board, always good to have a spare anyways.
Would unpluging the cam sensor harm anything.......I doubt it is that I havent touch that since I have owned the car and believe it or not she use to run great. I know I am just missing something basic here........I hope;)
Thanks, Nick

Unplugging the cam sensor after the car is running won't hurt it. It won't start if the cam sensor is unplugged..

i always say this, but here goes. Have you changed your alternator recently? Try a known good alt for your car. Voltage is the key to good spark, and computer operation. Has to be the right alt.

Scott

Anyway to test my alternator? Autozone do this? I am trying to pick up a coil/module and plan on changing all the plugs and see what happens.........if anything I will just have a spare coil/module.:)

Thanks for all the ideas...keep'em coming....thanks Nick