Speedometer acting up

jooset

Well, I've read dozens and dozens of speedometer threads and I'm still not sure what to do next. I have Performance Industries GNX 'style' dash, in the car and working for years. Haven't done anything to anything remotely close to the dash or the speedometer or the vss. Thought the cable may have been jacked up because of age so I replaced it (lower). I only have a lower cable which runs from the tranny to the vss next to the powermaster, from there it's just a wire (pair) that goes into the dash. Before making final connections on the cable, I ensured it was properly lubed and it spins easy from the vss to the tranny end. I pulled the tranny plug out and inspected the plastic gears and they look fine, both the blue and the orange on the inside (used a mirror and felt with my finger). The gears look full and still have a good edge on them. Oh yeah, I have the cable secured in four locations with no sharp bends whatsoever. Reconnected both ends and I get the same indications..which are:

car is cold, works like a champ, butter smooth all the way up to 75 (max I tested). After things get heated up, the needle starts to fluctuate, then it drops down to about 25 mph slower than I'm going and eventually drops to zero. Stopping the car shifting through the gears and moving out again has no effect. Colder morning, I can get 15 minutes out of it before it starts acting up. hot afternoon like today...made it about 7 minutes.

Most of the threads I read that had acting up speedometer indications worked like crap cold and better warm....mine is the opposite. No idea if the temp really has something to do with my issue or not.

So what's my next move? VSS or speedometer? or something else?

Thanks,
Matt