Speedo question!!

turbopwer

My speedometer works but it bounces back and forth so I can't get a true reading. Whats the cure? It sometimes chirps to?:confused:

Hi,
When the cable housing(s) get dry and worn, this happens. If you have a pre 84 or so with cruise, the old mechanical transducer can cause it too. Finally,the speedometer head lube will dry out with age,and the mechanism can do this too. I would start by inspecting the speedo cable. See if it is one continuous cable, or if it couples together below the master cylinder and brake power assist stuff. The cable on my 83 is two coupled together, and I have been unable to separate the two. If you have a single cable, you can remove the instrument cluster,and remove the cable trough that end. Clean it, lube it with a graphite compound,the reassemble it all to see what has improved. Otherwise, replace the cable,and see what happens. If you still have a shaky needle,suspect the speedometer itself.I will discuss this further if you need clarification. Please provide some on your end. Good luck with this irritating problem.

all that needed done when mine did this was to tighten the speedo cable.

I'm having a speedo problem as well. The needle bounces around at lower speeds but smooths up at highway speed.
and just recently I encountered another problem. I was cruising on the highway going about 110kms per hour with the cruise control engaged and it felt like the cruise control was disengaging and engaging again just for a split second. As it was doing that I could hear a clicking sound coming from the instrument cluster, the speedo needle would twitch every time it clicked and the odometer was stuck and wouldn't roll over. I disengaged the cruise and slowed down and it clicked again and the odometer started rollout again. It did that a few more times before I got home. Didn't have any other problems with the car, just that. Am I having a speedo cable problem or is there something else going on? Is it just a matter of taking it apart and lubricating the cable? Or perhaps replacing it if needed? And if so how do I go about doing those things? I looked around a bit and It is a two piece cable with a connection just under the power brake booster.

I had the cable replaced with a once piece cable and needle doesn't move anymore.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

My speedometer works but it bounces back and forth so I can't get a true reading. Whats the cure? It sometimes chirps to?:confused:
I had that issue with my cutlass new cable fixed that problem no bouncing from the needle and no noise. I'll be changing out my GNs cable this weekend looked like it was changed in the past before I got the car with a universal cut to fit type and was worthless. The crimp at the back of the speedo was not holding the cable in place and was not showing my speed.

I tried all the above at one point in time,and none of it helped. It wasn't until I got out the Mic's and started checking the nylon gears. I found the speedo gear was warn, but you sure could not tell by looking at it. But a new gear in...all is fine and has been foe a long time now. All the other stuff may have helped, but nothing changed until the new gears. Just my experience..

Mart