Sonnax Super Servo?

9SECVSIX

Anyone using this servo? how did you set it up, with or without the stock pink cushion spring :confused: I don't like a real harsh down shift.

Thanks
9sec.

That is an awesome servo. Basically a billet 112 from a 200C.
I just use them with the spring they provide. No large spring.

Brian

Brian?

Do you set the clearance at .110" per instruction or tighter? I see Chris suggest .060" in his manual but that's not for this servo, that may not make a difference :confused:

Thanks
9sec.

I always run the big spring. You can go tighter than .110. I havent actually measured one in a while. I usually measure the drum OD and if its within .010 of stock i start shimming in the apply pin. With good bushings in the drum and everything lined up nice you can get it tight and not burn the band. I push the band sideways and rotate the output to check clearance.

I am interested in this sonnax servo.

Can you do this without taking the trans out?

Does it really firm up the 1-2 shifts over the modified stock?

TURBOV6 said:
I am interested in this sonnax servo.

Can you do this without taking the trans out?

Does it really firm up the 1-2 shifts over the modified stock?
Yeah you can do it without dropping the trans but you should drop the pan to make it easier to check band clearance. You will need to remove the cat heat shield to get extra room.

9Sec,
I go a bit tighter. I will go 60 max.
But, as you see, many have a different approach.

Brian

its is important to understand how clearances are arrived at before they are introduced as usable.excessive clearance will not cause a slip and as well it would be impossible for most to measure the difference in apply time between .125" andd .060" clearance .it will allow the band to ****(the turbo buick editing program doesnt allow the word i used to describe it,rymes with rock :cool: ) slightly when not applied and cause wear between the servo pin and band anchor on re application as well as cause wear between the band anchor pin and the case.this can be compared to raising a hammer 1 inch above something we want to hit and swinging and then raising a hammer 2 inches above something we want to hit and swinging.unnecessary force on internal components accellerates wear.if the band is too tight it will drag against the direct drum in 1st 3rd and 4th gears causing horsepower loss and increased friction.it will also wipe off oil from the outer circumference of the direct drum as well as remove its oil retention abilities.this causes the surface temperature between the band and drum to increase increasing band wear.also the clearance has been calculated to allow the band to relax and release quickly after 2/1 backshift or ratio change.this allows residual oil and band deformation to work in a time frame with reidual oil present in the servo cavity and 2nd apply passage after the 2/1 valve trsin has backshifted or is at rest.

I love mine! Installed without the big spring, shifts are firm but not harsh. I think the converter helps soften them some with the big spring omitted. Very nice piece, very easy to install. Only part that may trip some guys up is having to grind the apply pin down some, but that's really no biggy. Don't know how hard it would be in the car, did mine when I rebuilt it.

I was very proud of myself, this is the first tranny that I had ever rebuilt by myself. My good buddy Russ Merritt set up the forward and directs and center support. Once the parts came back I had the whole thing assembled, air checked and everything in like 45 min. I fiugured if I could build a motor then I could tackle a tranny. 3 months later everything is perfect, pressures are perfect, shifts are perfect. Couldn't be happier!!!

DonnieShort said:
I was very proud of myself, this is the first tranny that I had ever rebuilt by myself. My good buddy Russ Merritt set up the forward and directs and center support. Once the parts came back I had the whole thing assembled, air checked and everything in like 45 min. I fiugured if I could build a motor then I could tackle a tranny. 3 months later everything is perfect, pressures are perfect, shifts are perfect. Couldn't be happier!!!

That is because Russ Merritt has a GREAT teacher!. LOL :D
Donnie, whether you know it or not, you have all PTS Xtreme pieces and technology, if you worked with Russ. Russ also has 24/7 access to me for ANY reason.
I am slowly educating Russ, and he is learning, doing very well, and putting out a great product.
He is an excellent student!. When he was out here learning, he had a great time. I also enjoyed spending time with him and look forward to his next trip out here.

Enjoy!
I am glad to hear your first one worked great. Now, duplicate it. LOL :biggrin:
Good Job and see how sharing info benifits all?
That is the objective.
Looks like it is working.....
Bruce
WE4
www.PTSXTREME.com

I will be using a 9" NLU so I decided to just use the spring that came with the servo but with a steel spring cup. Ended up with .070 clearance.
Thanks everyone for the input. If you want to use the stock cusion spring you will need to drill out the hole in the stock bell.

9sec.

WE4 said:
That is because Russ Merritt has a GREAT teacher!. LOL :D
Donnie, whether you know it or not, you have all PTS Xtreme pieces and technology, if you worked with Russ. Russ also has 24/7 access to me for ANY reason.
I am slowly educating Russ, and he is learning, doing very well, and putting out a great product.
He is an excellent student!. When he was out here learning, he had a great time. I also enjoyed spending time with him and look forward to his next trip out here.

Enjoy!
I am glad to hear your first one worked great. Now, duplicate it. LOL :biggrin:
Good Job and see how sharing info benifits all?
That is the objective.
Looks like it is working.....
Bruce
WE4
www.PTSXTREME.com

Russ is the best! We are great friends as it is, I couldn't imagine if we actually lived closer to one another ( he's in Mass. and I'm in Ky ). Gotta be one of the best people I have ever met!