Someone drove this??

How the heck does that kind of stuff continue to be allowed on the roads. I see it all the time. It actually pisses me off. Someone could get really hurt by parts coming off of these clunkers. I see them riding around bellowing smoke like a diesel bald tires...in the rain. Think about that next time one of these things is coming toward you in the rain in the opposite lane. Maybe it'll get by you before it hydroplanes...okay I'm done :)

Maybe we should implement a gauge: would you send your kid to DOT for a driver's test in this vehicle?

Better than making a payment. I try not to have mine fall apart too much but I run what I have. I'd rather wrench on em than make payments. When you can't afford parts you use what you have on hand. Depression mentality runs deep here too.

If more people thought like that the onset of the depression we are facing could be avoided. Oops, too political, I'll leave it there.

I never really looked down on someone for what they drive, you never know if they are disabled,or have personnel problems that do not allow them to buy nice things,just sayin.

plus 1
and to add.

He/she can park it any where and it'll still be there when they get back.
Most people wont sit on it- i hate a$s holes that sit on cars.
Most likely wont get broken into.
most likely not get car jacked or mugged while driving it in the worst neighborhoods.
the absolutely single most important thing
Most likely He/she isn't a slave to some bank making monthly car payments just to impress their neighbor like most over extended dumb a$s Americans.

Back on topic
that is pretty ugly.
I remember driving my Dads never washed 1976 Malibu White with brown, black and grey primer spots all over the place, living in ENY it never got stolen, broken into or even sat on it didn't matter where it was parked.

I had a really long response typed out but then realized I was saying what's already been said.

I'll just point out that cosmetically nice vehicles aren't immune to being in mechanical disrepair. People will run those 18" tires until they are showing cords because they cost $300+ per tire to replace, and a good percentage of people fail to account for such things in their budget, because they figure that staggering car payment covers everything. Meanwhile I keep great rain/snow tires all around both of our 12 year old rusty minivans, because those 15's are cheap to do so. My daily beaters aren't quite as bad as what's pictured (anymore), but I wouldn't look down on it. That guy just might be the guy who drops everything on christmas morning and jumps in that beater to go change someone else's flat tire. ;)

Here ya go, its not as bad, but given the type of car its hideous!
DuctTape-Ferrari.jpg

Magnum led a sad life without Robin Master's funding.

I have to agree with the OP. There is a line one must draw.

5 mil? no disrespect but that was just being a miser. He could have gotten something nice for 5 to 10k.

Ones vehicle is like a part of clothing when we go out. We don't have to look incredible but an attempt to look presentable should be made.

D

Tell that to the owner of IKEA. He is a billionaire and still drives a 15 year old Volvo - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-year--man-founded-Ikea-worth-pound-15bn.html

I'm sure that plenty have laughed at some of the cars that I have driven. I understand that some people can only afford so much, but the point here is that some of these repairs are hideous. My Dad does stuff like this and it cracks me up. He could easily afford to fix things right, but he is an eccentric person who takes pride in extreme frugalness.

New trend - Ricer Rat Rod.

BTW, Sam Walton, founder of Walmart drove this! Ford F-150 pickup

View attachment 172295

Ricers are modern day rat rods.

Sometimes people have a comfort level with certain cars. I have a '90 CRX Si as a DD and it is the most fun I've had in a car. I could afford something much nicer, but my CRX pays for itself and I could care less if it gets a door ding or a scratch.

Old post I know.

While I won't agree or disagree with any of the comments since that god it is still somewhat of a free'er country.

My opinion is that "the clothes do make the man"

They don't have to be expensive either - but my parents taught me you don't have to have expensive high end labels, but clean, pressed, neat and well put together to make a favorable impression.
So what some of these examples say is these folks are somewhat anti-social, and are either ambivalent to what society thinks or them, or are attention seekers trying to stick a thumb in their eye of normal, functioning society.

I've been well off, broke, well off more than a couple of times in my life.

Even when I was scrimping by, and driving cheap cars, they were always clean, vacuumed, waxed and presentable and I never had anyone snicker at me to my face for the car I drove.

Now I'm sure therer any number of reasons for the examples pictures
They are a dirtbag
They're just a dumb kid
They are broke as hell and barely feeding themselves
They are putting all their money toward their medical degree
They'r e recently immigrated and sending alll their money back to thier family
They live in the hood and their other car is a Mercedes
It's just a joke and fun to drive to show people
Sadly, there are too many people in this country that fit into category #1. - Dirtbag

Also, a car like this screams uninsured.
And a little unsafe.
I sort of do favor states that implement a basic inspection.
It keep people from jeaopardizing my, my family, and my hard earned property with their junk and anti social behavior.

But most importantly to me - is personal price in my appearance.
But that's just the narcissist in me! :)

i should post some pics of my current driver so you all can judge me- a 98 Cavalier that i paid $200 for.. every body panel has at least 2 dents, and it must have been rolled at some point in it's past if the 1/4" of bondo that's flaking off the roof means anything.. but it always starts, gets over 30mpg, and is fun for hooning around the new traffic circle at 40mph..

Tell me what you drive, so that if I happen to see you stranded on the road, I can drive right on by you in my dirty, neglected dodge caravan. Normally I'd stop to help, but if "the clothes make the man", then you obviously don't want assistance from a perceived dirtbag like myself. You know how many evening/weekend phone calls I've answered for door unlocks or help getting their spare tire down? A whole lot of them, every one answered while driving my POS van. Funny thing, none of those people seemed to care what I pulled up in.