Some pics of the Engine Bay.

Its crazy only because I am learning to do the work on this car myself. And I am barely someone who qualifies as a Do it yourself'er. So unless the engine requires a major overhaul, its staying put for now.

It may sound crazy, but I would pull the engine and give it and the bay a detail/paint job. An engine compartment that dirty would drive me insane.

In one of the pictures it shows a handwritten number and date in Silver Pen.
Anyone know what this indicates? Could it mean that it was the 56th car built on that date????

That kind of writing didn't come on these cars from the factory. I've still got my original two and neither did.
However, I've seen that kind of writing before, and it's usually scrawled on there by salvage yards, it's how they identify parts that are similar.
I'm guessing that that particular part was replaced by a salvage yard part. Maybe had a some minor frontal damage in it's life.

Get the rust issues fixed and a paint job and it will look damn good.

First I want to have the car looked at by a "PRO", so I dont end up with a "money pit" that isnt worth anything.
The worst rust so far is the bottom corners on both doors. I am hoping this can be fixed otherwise I am gonna need two door skins.

Looks more like a date to me.

Whats the build date on the door??

Maybe a fleet car??

And get those hood shocks replaced!!!! :biggrin:

Looks more like a date to me.

Whats the build date on the door??

Maybe a fleet car?? I think one of the option codes on the trunk sticker indicates FLEET.

And get those hood shocks replaced!!!! :biggrin: You dont like the Golf Club I am currently using as a hood prop???

:cool:

Check the hood liner it looks like it has rubbed through the matting and the AC condenser has been rubbing on it. That is why its shiny.

Check the hood stops too I bet they are too low and that is why its rubbing.

That hose from the wastegate controller ( the little square thing on the passnegers side valve cover) looks like the fitting is busted off in the hose. You might be able to put that back on the controller. If it fits put a zip tie on it.

And the very first thing you should do is take $10 in quarters, go to the coin op wash and hose that dirty damn thing off. :)

Looks like there's oil coming out of the drivers side breather. You should either put on a stock oil fill neck and cap back on or get a baffled neck for the beather.

Looks like there's oil coming out of the drivers side breather. You should either put on a stock oil fill neck and cap back on or get a baffled neck for the beather.

The drivers side breather is a new unit. Prior to that there was a RAG being used as a Cap.

And here I thought this was one of those threads showing off a beautiful engine bay making me feel bad about how mine looked.. :D

the 1/4" rubber fitting that connects the solenoid to the vacuum hose is rotted out - it can't be reconnected without a new fitting. Also have seen several different ways that this can be connected - I'd like to know which of the nipples it connects to (though I am pretty sure I got it right). Regardless, it won't connect to any part of the solenoid without a new rubber fitting.

..[/QUOTE]

the 1/4" rubber fitting that connects the solenoid to the vacuum hose is rotted out - it can't be reconnected without a new fitting. Also have seen several different ways that this can be connected - I'd like to know which of the nipples it connects to (though I am pretty sure I got it right). Regardless, it won't connect to any part of the solenoid without a new rubber fitting.

[/QUOTE]

Pick one nipple as its just a bleed valve kinda deal. Cut the hose & attach to good fitting. Those solenoids are hard to come by these days but they are around & some other car (dont remember) has one that works.
Since your new read here about 3 times!
www.vortexbuicks-etc.com www.gnttype.org

Find a rack and see what the underside looks like and cross your fingers since it's a north east daily driver. :frown:

First I want to have the car looked at by a "PRO", so I dont end up with a "money pit" that isnt worth anything.
The worst rust so far is the bottom corners on both doors. I am hoping this can be fixed otherwise I am gonna need two door skins.
Money pit? That's a good one. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that is, in deed, a money pit. Even if you bought a high dollar beauty, it still would be a money pit. You see, Grand National is just another accepted spelling for the words "money pit". Another warning: these can be HIGHLY ADDICTING!! Enjoy.

Yeah I know. But considering what I have into it so far, and the fun it is bringing is worth it. Plus if I can do most of the work myself.........well maybe.......it will be enjoyable!!!!

Anyone have 2 outer door skins for sale???

Money pit? That's a good one. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that is, in deed, a money pit. Even if you bought a high dollar beauty, it still would be a money pit. You see, Grand National is just another accepted spelling for the words "money pit". Another warning: these can be HIGHLY ADDICTING!! Enjoy.