Some interesting military stuff...

I could never knowingly serve in a war that has no relevance to the freedom of THIS nation. Iraq has never had anything to do with American freedom, they don't like us. Does that mean we are going to invade France too because they don't like us? News flash for those of you that don't watch anything other than Fox, most of the known world is pretty pissed off at us right now. Thats how wars start. Maybe if we worried about ourselves and our own problems a bit more instead of poking our noses where it doesn't belong, there might be alot less people on this earth that hate us.

To me its a bigger mistake to support a poor decision than to not speak out against it. I'd never spit at anyone or their funeral. However don't expect anything special from me because you choose to support a flawed cause.

You sound like an isolationist. That's what got us in trouble in the 20's/30's. If you do some reading in the history books you will find that from post WWI we practiced a pretty much isolationist belief to our forign policy. We ignored problems over seas and the result was another big war. Yes we need to take care of our own but, with the things going on in the world right now, if we ignore them we will have bigger problems.

Isolationist, maybe, but i still feel that outsourcing everything to other countries (even defense contracts) is a very bad idea for this country and its citizens. We as a people have become too dependent on the rest of the world.

Apparently some of you forget Saddam was warning 17 times to disarm, and we had a UN declaration to disarm or be disarmed. Apparently some of you have forgotten Saddam elected not to, though he could have. And apparently you all have forgotten that not only did did Clinton, Reid and Pelosi think he had WMD's, but France, Germany, Spain, Italy, and Israel also believed he had WMD's. We're only as good as our intelligence information can provide us. So the illegal war that has nothing to do with us BS is just that....BS.

Apparently some of you have also forgotten that Saddam attacked his neighbors, Iran, during the Iran-Iraq war of the 1980's. Saddam attacked Kuwait, a peaceful nation, and this led to the First Gulf War. Was that an illegal war which wasn't in our interest? And still I see that we have forgotten Saddam was funding terrorist operations against the US in the middle east. He was PAYING the families of jihadists a kings ransom to attack US personnel in other countries.

But no, we went to war just for the heck of it.... You, my friend, have been drinking at the koolaid trough for too long. Your isolationist views are foolish at best, and dangerous at worst. The US has national interests in all corners of the globe, from the Phillipines to S. Korea, to our friends in the middle east and Europe.

The United states also backed Iraq and sold them weapons during the Iran - Iraq war.

Saddam_rumsfeld.jpg

Rumsfeld, Ronald Reagan's then-special envoy to the Middle East, meeting with Saddam Hussein during a visit to Baghdad, Iraq in December 1983, during the Iran–Iraq War.

As a conciliatory gesture, the U.S. removed Iraq from its list of state sponsors of terrorism in 1982, paving the way for Rumsfeld to visit Baghdad in 1983, about the midpoint of the decade-long Iran-Iraq war.

As a result of the openings created by Rumsfeld's diplomatic triumphs, U.S. companies were recruited and encouraged, both covertly and overtly, to ship poisonous chemicals and biological agents to Iraq, by the administrations of both Reagan and George Bush Sr.. Care packages to Saddam included sample strains of anthrax and bubonic plague, and components which would be used to develop nerve poisons like sarin gas and ricin.

Who is the real terrorist here? Sounds to me like the US created its own problem.

Rodimus_Prime should change his name to Megatron

The war in Iraq has never had anything to do with American freedom in any way shape or form. If anything its oppressed the American taxpayer with a huge bill for nothing in return.

If you choose to sacrifice your life for a people (not US citizens) that will not hesitate to stab the US in the back at first chance, its your own mistake. Don't expect anyone to feel sorry for you.

Its no different than Vietnam, no business being there, waste of human life and taxpayer money all in the name of "stopping the spread of communism'. Same song and dance just substituted with "terrorism".

Its all political fear mongering to trick people into thinking that theres actually a purpose. It's not Team America World Police, let the rest of the world deal with its own problems theres more than enough piling up here that aren't being addressed. You know things like social security, hell with all the money wasted in Iraq they could have fixed that, you know for people that actually are retired and fought in a war that actually had something to do with American freedom.

Think anyone else would lift a finger to help this country in a time of need? Forget about it. This country is too concerned with its PR and public image that it ignores the concerns of its own citizens. When the Tsunami hit there were American ships there the next day. When Katrina hit ppl were dying in the streets for days before anyone ever showed up. Where were the soldiers sacrificing anything for those people?

Megatron you are the sole reason that I will never be a true liberal . Sure you have half of a point about maybe the Iraq War shouldn't have started. I respect that. I might even agree with you. But it did start. And my brothers and sisters in arms used the resources and leadership given to go into a hostile county and kick ass. We really don't give a damn about people like you or want your pity or sorrow. That implies that you're better than us. And you obviously aren't. But we do command your respect.
Is it the G.I.'s fault that the President started a war without an exit strategy(or a plan for that matter)? No.

If you chose not to sacrifice you life for your country, don't complain about or disrespect those who have the balls to do so. Shut up and color. We'll keep you safe. Soldiers don't pick and choose their wars. You can't call in sick guy.

Where were the soldiers to help after Katrina? THEY WERE AND STILL ARE DEPLOYED IN TWO REAL WARS!!! I know exactly where I was. It was about 135-140 on the flightline and we were breaking perfectly good aircraft to send parts home to get aircraft mission-ready to saves lives at home. If you knew anything about anything you wouldn't have asked that question.

You say, " let the rest of the world deal with its issues". You say WWII was a real war. Well guess what? It was Europe's problem until December 7 1941. This might be a bit complicated for you so I'll help you out. The world's problems will become America's problems in due time.

Dying in Iraq (as stated has nothing to do with American freedom) might not be so easily classified as "serving your country", its serving a political posture thats pretty far removed from anything having to do with the American living in this country or following ill advised orders from the top. Two completely different things.

People in the military are the only ones to seem to want to continue to have anything to do with Iraq, the American people clearly have no interest in being there and have not for some years. So why are we still there if its not the will of the people? So is it serving the people or serving the military? The job of the military is to protect and ward off genuine threats of this nation, not serve the egos of its members or establish a reputation.

Alot of folks on this forum seem to have a military superiority complex. I of all shouldn't have to tell you that its the job of the military to serve the people, not the other way around. We are not governed by the military, this is not a dictatorship (or at least it wasn't the forefathers plan). Just because you may have been in the military for a few years doesn't make everyone else second class citizens. Some people actually have to pay for medical coverage, housing, or food and clothing. Its not provided.

Heres something to think about and don't take this the wrong way I'm not trying to be insensitive I'm just trying to make a point. Lets say 20 soldiers die tommorow in Iraq, beyond the families or friends of these individuals theres no change in the daily life of the other 300 million or so Americans, most won't even know it happened. The same thing can occur day after day after day. Life hasn't changed here except that lives have been lost and families have lost loved ones. Whats the death toll up to now 4000+? Thats just on the American side. How many Iraqis have died something like close to 200,000 now? Granted alot of those weren't innocent but still a great many were.

So I have a hard time thinking that we are "better off" or the Iraqi people are better off after nearly a quarter million people have died on both sides. So if a billion people die do we all the sudden become a utopia?

Dying in Iraq (as stated has nothing to do with American freedom) might not be so easily classified as "serving your country", its serving a political posture thats pretty far removed from anything having to do with the American living in this country or following ill advised orders from the top. Two completely different things.

People in the military are the only ones to seem to want to continue to have anything to do with Iraq, the American people clearly have no interest in being there and have not for some years. So why are we still there if its not the will of the people? So is it serving the people or serving the military? The job of the military is to protect and ward off genuine threats of this nation, not serve the egos of its members or establish a reputation.

Alot of folks on this forum seem to have a military superiority complex. I of all shouldn't have to tell you that its the job of the military to serve the people, not the other way around. We are not governed by the military, this is not a dictatorship (or at least it wasn't the forefathers plan). Just because you may have been in the military for a few years doesn't make everyone else second class citizens. Some people actually have to pay for medical coverage, housing, or food and clothing. Its not provided.

Heres something to think about and don't take this the wrong way I'm not trying to be insensitive I'm just trying to make a point. Lets say 20 soldiers die tommorow in Iraq, beyond the families or friends of these individuals theres no change in the daily life of the other 300 million or so Americans, most won't even know it happened. The same thing can occur day after day after day. Life hasn't changed here except that lives have been lost and families have lost loved ones. Whats the death toll up to now 4000+? Thats just on the American side. How many Iraqis have died something like close to 200,000 now? Granted alot of those weren't innocent but still a great many were.

So I have a hard time thinking that we are "better off" or the Iraqi people are better off after nearly a quarter million people have died on both sides. So if a billion people die do we all the sudden become a utopia?

First off, I'm sorry for jacking this thread.
Now,
Police officers, politicians, federal and state employees all "serve their country". You don't have to die to serve your country. Now i'm pretty sure I remember a lot of people on ole G.W.s koolaid saying that Iraq was a threat. Its easy to say it was a bad call almost 10 years later. But where were you when it actually mattered? I bet you were drinking the koolaid. So if you can say that people who served in Iraq didn't serve their country, I can just as easily say that you killed 4000 soldiers because you were too chicken S^%$ to speak up.
What are you talking about? People in the military are the ones who want to stay in Iraq? Really? I don't know if you got the email, but that place is kind of a !@#$ hole. You forget that the military assumes the posture of the CIC.
Especially the brass. But you really believe they like being there? Come on man. Use you head and stop using whatever you're referencing.

Also, you refer to the American people and the military as two separate entities. Last time I checked we were the same. And just like Americans, soldiers don't always agree with political policies etc.

Now don't take this personally. But what if all of the soldiers thought like you? It would be chaos. Everyone questioning every order, bit*hing and moaning about everything all of the time? If 25% of the American soldiers were like you there would be a 9/11, a 9/12, a 9/13, you get the point.

Now this superiority complex thing you speak of sounds more like you referring to your own inferiority issues. Being in the military does not make you better than another person. Life experiences do. And really, what makes you think that being in the military provides you with free clothes? You mean uniforms? Bus drivers get uniforms too. And if you could pass a pt test 3 times a week and the go and work for 9 to 12 hours then maybe you'd get free health care too. Not too mention the physical at meps. G.I.s are probably the healthiest people on the planet.(except navy guys, lol, all that coffee), That free health care ain't all that free.

Alls i know is if you wanna know where all our $$$ went look up Dubai in saudi arabia and look at how recently it sprang up......

Liberal, Liberal, Liberal

So what, you say it like its supposed to mean something. Most of the civilized world is liberal. Not everyone wears cowboy hats and lived in the 50s.

Liberal, Liberal, Liberal

So what, you say it like its supposed to mean something. Most of the civilized world is liberal. Not everyone wears cowboy hats and lived in the 50s.

I'm pretty liberal and I think your like a liberal version of Rush Limbaugh. Scary:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I of all shouldn't have to tell you that its the job of the military to serve the people, not the other way around. We are not governed by the military, this is not a dictatorship (or at least it wasn't the forefathers plan). Just because you may have been in the military for a few years doesn't make everyone else second class citizens. Some people actually have to pay for medical coverage, housing, or food and clothing. Its not provided.

Point of order - The military does not "serve the people." The military is an instrument of national policy - following the orders of our commander in chief and Secretary of Defense (with input from various other politicians). While this could be construed to a layman as "serving the people," we serve the commander in chief and SECDEF.

Also, elsewhere in your posts, you stated only military personnel want to continue the war. The military does not decide to start and/or continue wars. Again, we serve as an instrument of national policy - and follow the orders of the commander in chief and SECDEF. I am pretty positive most military personnel would rather have an end to constant deployments and long separations from family/loved ones.

As far as military personnel receiving housing/medical coverage/subsistence allowance, that helps to offest the lower military pay checks, moving every two-three years, and various other issues that do not impact non-military personnel.

While you make some good arguments, I just needed to set some facts straight about the military (and God bless each and everyone of our men and women deployed in harms way!).

I'm actually moderate on alot of issues

I guess what really gets to me is the gung ho greatest country in the world arrogance that seems to be displayed by the right. Its one thing to have pride but its another to let it blind you.

I wish that people were as up in arms about education as they are trivial issues like what gay ppl should or shouldn't be able to do.

You don't sound too moderate to me. ;)

I think he's starting to come around a little as he gets enlightened. He seems to have some preconcieved notions that are easy to believe if you don't know both sides of an issue. Being ignorant isn't the same as being stupid.

The war in Iraq has never had anything to do with American freedom in any way shape or form. If anything its oppressed the American taxpayer with a huge bill for nothing in return.

If you choose to sacrifice your life for a people (not US citizens) that will not hesitate to stab the US in the back at first chance, its your own mistake. Don't expect anyone to feel sorry for you.

Its no different than Vietnam, no business being there, waste of human life and taxpayer money all in the name of "stopping the spread of communism'. Same song and dance just substituted with "terrorism".

Its all political fear mongering to trick people into thinking that theres actually a purpose. It's not Team America World Police, let the rest of the world deal with its own problems theres more than enough piling up here that aren't being addressed. You know things like social security, hell with all the money wasted in Iraq they could have fixed that, you know for people that actually are retired and fought in a war that actually had something to do with American freedom.

Think anyone else would lift a finger to help this country in a time of need? Forget about it. This country is too concerned with its PR and public image that it ignores the concerns of its own citizens. When the Tsunami hit there were American ships there the next day. When Katrina hit ppl were dying in the streets for days before anyone ever showed up. Where were the soldiers sacrificing anything for those people?

Wow, this got bad, quick lol. Guys, your loyalty to our country, and military is very appreciated. I thank you for it, while I serve here... but I have to say, I was in iraq in the early days... Rodimus primes' first post here, (and a few others honestly), is DIRECTLY on point. It couldn't have been any more truthful, or complete, I'm sorry to say..

But he's still wrong on a few points.

as far as expecting anyone to feel sorry for us? We dont. not us as soldiers, down here at the individual level. not even at the division level..

And as far as serving your country? Is going to iraq actually, and directly SERVING your country? No, I don't feel it is either.
Heres the deal. The individual soldier, or, at this point civilian, when he signs up to the military, besides some of the side benefits involved, he's doing it to 'serve his country'. at this initial point in his career, he thinks it's the right thing to do. He feels he's completing a portion of his 'duty' to his country, just as I have. You feel like you want to help. You feel like, your country, and your military needs you. so you go. You go with nothing but the best intentions. both to serve your countrymen, and to help others out abroad. You think, like I did, that your government, does the research, and determines who actually needs the help. or, answers the call, of foreign nations, when they need a little boost. No problems. I was very proud to do this.... as i grew up in the military, i realized (especially about my 5th month in iraq) that even though us down here, are here for the right reasons, were nothing more than the 'soldiers' or 'enforcers' for the local Don, in sicily... were just the hired guns of the mafia, shaking down the local business owners for 'protection' money.. . again, this isnt' US down here, it's our leadership. the 4 star generals and above. mostly the men in suits, who were never in the military lol.
TECHNICALLY, unless you've been physically invaded, red dawn style, you're not really serving YOUR country. You're just serving the presidents needs that's all. You're just doing what your cinc (commander in chief) told you to do. Still though, at the individual level, we are all here, doing our best, for the people around us at that time. Whether or not the president and his thugs have their best interests in mind. Which we all now know is no lol.

Before any red dawn moments arise, the best way you can serve your country directly, is by getting up each morning, puttin the uniform on, and showin up to work. Every day. What this is called, is a 'deterrent'. When people say ''why do we need a military?? Noones invading our country" Yea... ya moron, that's WHY noone's invading lol. It's because WE HAVE a military. That shows up every day. Why don't you go breaking into someones house then? Cuz you fear you may get shot in there, right? There ya go. Noones invading, cuz were all getting up each morning, and showing up, to make SURE you don't come a knockin. That's all we need. We need our men and women, to show up each day, to ensure our continued freedom. All of those joes I hear, that say "Ive never been deployed. I feel as if I'm not doing my part." is hogwash. It's honourable, but not necessary. You don't have to deploy to help. Just bein' there is all you need to do. You were integral in ensuring that I don't have to worry about parachutes in my skies... That's all I need. And that's all the reason you guys need, to say thank you to a vet, or a presently serving member. But overall, he is right on many accounts. Because most of us feel the same way. Iraq was NEVER a threat to america. They made that **** up, JUST LIKE the gulf of tonkin for vietnam, so that we can come in there, and stimulate THEIR companies (haliburton) not OUR companies. Every other war has helped our economy. This one ruined ours... I say all our leaders should die.. publicly...
It even says in the Declaration of Independence, that when our government becomes destructive, that it is our right, and duty, to throw off such government, and to provide new guards for their future security. It is the right of the people, to abolish it, and institute a new government.
We shall see...

I don't think rodimus meant to be subversive, or anti military, or anti american. He just spoke what was on his mind. Nothing wrong with that. And there's a LOT of patriotic americans, that feel that they "support our troops, but not the war" I can't say I blame them. It's pretty common knowledge now, that our government carelessly and wrecklessly uses our men and women, in a haphazard fashion. Why? Probably because not only have they never served, but neither will any of their kids either. I bet you if everyone in congress had a son or daughter in the military, they'd think twice before invading some other country, on a whim, or made up story..... Cuz now that would be YOUR son you killed, for some bull****.
So as long as you guys support the troops, that's cool. It's the individuals who are doing the honourable thing. I can assure you we have the best intentions... it's our leaders that you must question...
But remember this rodimus.. 99% of kids in highschool, (which is what our ranks are made up of) don't do in depth research, about why our government deploys troops, where, how it works, and what's involved for a trooper, during a year long deployment. They just join, because they feel it's the right thing to do. This is why you can't say the statement: If you choose to sacrifice your life for a people (not US citizens) that will not hesitate to stab the US in the back at first chance, its your own mistake. Don't expect anyone to feel sorry for you.
You don't JOIN, JUST to sacrifice your life for some other people. You're joining, to do a good thing. To help others. You're hoping, that your government, is at least one level above a town mafioso. This is why you should thank vets and current members. It's their dedication that's worthy of praise. I never knew what my government was up to back in 1992. I just signed on, for the above mentioned reasons. I had no clue I was going to be utilized in this fashion. So maybe you don't have to feel sorry for any of those guys.. but you should cut them some slack. They had good intentions. It was their leaders that didn't... I still don't think it was our faults for not finding this out before we signed. Who woulda thought? I surely didn't.
After Iraq, I said **** the government. I'm here for the people of america, and my teammates. NOT my leaders. They can go to hell. I keep reenlisting, for my men. And my country.
I think you should join up, and you'd see what I'm talking about.

WOW! That's the most I think you've ever said on the board brother. For those of us that have been there you stated it very well.

Turbo6Smackdown - I can agree and respect most of what you said there

As for "joining up" never would happen. I've never had the military personality in HS I got constantly bothered by the recruiters to the point I had to literally be angry at them as did most others. True or not the view that I had of the military when I was 18 is that they went off places to shoot at ppl and get shot at. At that age I wasn't really willing to risk a life that was just starting and finally get some freedom. Not the kinda thing that really interested me, I'd rather sleep in, my parents harrassed me enough I didn't need some drill Sargent screaming at me. It just didn't appeal to me and it wasn't for me. I dislike being bossed around 24/7 thats why I hated school and I hated my parents, military would have just been a further continuation of being oppressed.

If I wanted someone bothering me 24/7 I'd get married LOL. Hence why I'm not